The Ultrasone HFI-2200 (56k, no)
Oct 19, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #16 of 103
P.S - Your post & pics are making me want to just go buy a pair of these, and I damn well might....
If only I wasn't such a one-phone kind of guy
rs1smile.gif

And Spaceage, I am talking from experience with the headbands
tongue.gif

The parts where the sides of the headband meet the middle part, you'll see the plastic of the middle part overlap the side parts a bit. This is usually the first part to go as the placing them on and off of your head causes this plastic to expand over time and one day it usually forms a small crack. Then further expansion occurs each time you put the phones on/take them off, and the crack slowly gets bigger.

The other super common one is those two panels you see on the underside of the headband. The part where the two screws go into the headband is EXTREMELY flimsy, if this cracks it will slowly expand until this piece falls off. When this happens that side of the headband begins to come loose and you are forced to electrical tape it to salvage.

So those are the two ares to look out for. And a heads-up, if you do happen to crack one of those bottom panels and see this early on, I have a replacement piece for it that Ultrasone charged me $30 for. Unfortunately my headband was too far gone by the time I got it to salvage it, so if you ever need that piece PM me and I'll send it to you for free as long as you pay the shipping
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #17 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceage
It might be worth noting that they claim my model reduces the radiation by 98% compared to other brand headphone models. The other Ultrasones in the HFI line only claim 60%.

98% of nothing is the same as 60% of nothing.
evil_smiley.gif

Still, maybe he knows something we don't. He certainly has an interesting sense of personal style. Makes me want to go party in Germany.
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 103
My thoughts re the Philips HP1000 vs the Sennheiser 595 were along the same lines. That headphone is way too overrated.

I've always liked the look of the 2200. Even with all that plastic, the whole gold colour scheme still rocks. Any plans to upgrade the cable on yours?

Oct 19, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #20 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeerkaas
AKG isn't from Germany but from Austria

Darn close enough.

Oct 19, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #22 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
My thoughts re the Philips HP1000 vs the Sennheiser 595 were along the same lines. That headphone is way too overrated.

I've always liked the look of the 2200. Even with all that plastic, the whole gold colour scheme still rocks. Any plans to upgrade the cable on yours?

I hadn't thought about it. The mini cable screws in on the headphone side, so I would need a cable with that special connector.

If I could get one ready-made then I would probably check it out.

Oct 19, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #23 of 103
Spaceage, headphile will make you a cable.
I actually have a 2 metre blackmax cable for mine, however the connections inside the cable have jarred loose over time and the end needs to be re-terminated by larry.

I was thinking of putting the cable up in the FS forum and posing a transaction where I'd send it to Larry for retermination, then he'd ship it out from there. If you are interested let me know, I will check out the price of the cable again and come up with something dirt cheap (since it really isn't doing me any good just sitting here).

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #24 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff.h
I think most people who draw negative conclusions on the Ultrasones are probably listening on un-burned in can's. The first 30-50 hours or so on these is an absolute nightmare, after that it still takes about 200-300 hours total before they sound like they should. There is no question about it, Ultrasone's MUST be burned in before they sound proper. So I recommend you let them burn in for 50 hours or so before you even put them on. I almost cried when I tried my PROline 750's out of the box, they sounded worse than their lower-model counterparts and it was extremely dissapointing. Now I absolutely love these and can't see myself replacing them until something royalle like PS1 comes along. I'm even more curious about how these will sound amped.

I have a quick question about "burn-in".

What I was going to do to burn-in the 750s was plug them into my Desktop amp, which is connected to my computer, load some music into my media player, set the volume to a normal listening level and put the media player on "repeat" and let it play for the days on end.

Is this what is meant by "burn-in"?

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #25 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline
I have a quick question about "burn-in".

What I was going to do to burn-in the 750s was plug them into my Desktop amp, which is connected to my computer, load some music into my media player, set the volume to a normal listening level and put the media player on "repeat" and let it play for the days on end.

Burn-in is accomplished both by unattended play and by normal listening. When I get new cans I let them run just as you stated, but I also just listen to them as I normally would.

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #26 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline

The oft-debated claim that gear changes from use over time. In this case, the sound coming from the headphone in question.

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #27 of 103
Welcome aboard, I have the Prolines 2500, and waiting for the Edition 9 to come, need a closed one....
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Let's see how better they could do...
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW the cables they use, are not that bad that need to be replaced. I have a very nice aftermarket one, made out of silver plated rhodium or something like that, and honestly the difference is not that big if any.....

Oct 20, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #29 of 103
Burn in has two components, IMO, one physical, and another psychological, the physical is the loosen of the driver diaphram stiffness, due to the use, that takes some time, usually between 48 to 200 hours in some cases depending on the materials used....the other IMO is more harder to accomplish, that needs that your brain get adjusted to the new presentation of the new headphone or device in question....sometimes you never get that one, as simply the presentation is not for you...

In the case of Ultrasone heapdhones, it took me a while to get used to them, the presentation iscompletelly different from normal heapdhones, and as you felt, the soundstage is completelly different....once you get used ot them, voila, the sound is really that great.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #30 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
The oft-debated claim that gear changes from use over time. In this case, the sound coming from the headphone in question.

I would think that gear with mechanical moving parts, no matter how small, oh say the size of an over-the-ear style headphone diaphram, would change with (or from) use over time. The question is really whether these changes have a positive, negative or neutral effect on the audio qualities of the gear.

In the case of people who believe in burn-in and have first hand experience with it, I can only say that if I don't like the 750s during early listening sessions - I sure hope that you guys are right.
580smile.gif

And to those of you who do not believe the virtures of burning in, I can only say - Would like a good deal on a slightly used pair of 750s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back