The Ultrasone HFI-2200 (56k, no)
Oct 20, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #31 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline
I would that gear with mechanical moving parts, no matter how small, oh say the size of an over the ear style headphone diaphram, would change with or from use over time. The question is really whether these changes have a positive, negative or neutral effect on the audio qualities of the gear.

Well it changes the sound a little bit, and nobody could tell you for sure, as that is really personal is if you may like it or not the result...and don't worry as there is no much you can do about the impact of the burn in in the sound, and it doesn't matter if the effect is to your ears positive or negative, as it will be there anyway, once the diaphragm loosens up, the effect you will get is there, for good or bad....

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #32 of 103
I recently had an opportunity to try all of the Ultrasone models, I switched back and forth between the Prolines (750/2500) and the ULE2200) and really enjoyed them. Out of the 3, if I was going to buy them, and I almost did, I would have purchased the 2500s.

I actually did some listening recently (all on the same day) between all the Grado series (SR 60 up to the RS-1), the Ultrasones, and one Audio-Technica ATH-A700. Out of the three I much prefered the Ultrasones than the others. Found the Grados and the ATH-A700 very sparkly in terms of highs, whereas the Ultrasones were richer and warmer. Also found the fit of the Ultrasones to be much more comfortable than the others as well, especially the Grados, which I just couldn't get the feel/fit right.

As has already been stated the soundstage is very different from all other types of headphones I have tried but I found it very pleasing. N.B. these were all fully burned-in headphones...

Can't comment on the durability of the headphones.

YMMV.

Cheers.

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #33 of 103
Those are very attractive headphones... I love the colors.

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #35 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
I'd buy a pair of these just for the brown on brown look. Sweet.

I almost did this. I also though my whole obsession with the HFI-2200 was over. Then someone goes and posts this thread with new photos of them, and photos showing their 'gold' drivers. $hit!

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #36 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I almost did this. I also though my whole obsession with the HFI-2200 was over. Then someone goes and posts this thread with new photos of them, and photos showing their 'gold' drivers. $hit!

That's funny, I actually thought of you when I posted this because I remembered you asking about them. They are pretty, aren't they?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #37 of 103
The connector that plugs into the headpones on the cable... is it a standard mini with 3 conductors? Or is it [I hope] a 4 conductor mini?

The reason I ask is balanced operation. I am wondering if you can just whip up a new cable in order to run them balanced or if you need to hack them apart for dual termination.

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #38 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
The connector that plugs into the headpones on the cable... is it a standard mini with 3 conductors? Or is it [I hope] a 4 conductor mini?

The reason I ask is balanced operation. I am wondering if you can just whip up a new cable in order to run them balanced or if you need to hack them apart for dual termination.

I checked the literature that came with them and the web. Didn't find an answer. You could always contact Ultrasone USA (www.ultrasoneusa.com). They were helpful when I had a question about cable compatibility.

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #39 of 103
Just unplug the end from the headphone and have a look.
smily_headphones1.gif

Does it have two contact points + ground or three contact points + ground. Is it exactly the same as a minijack plug that you use to connect to an iPod or similar small device or is it different in some way? Do you have a camera?
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #40 of 103
Quote:

It is a regular 3 conductor miniplug, the same mini used in the rest of the headphones, just threaded, like those used by AKG, Beyer or Sony, so in case of balanced operation, you need to do ghetto and remove the little jack, and maybe replace it inside the cup for a 4 conductor one, or just install the wires directly to the cups...

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #41 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
It is a regular 3 conductor miniplug, the same mini used in the rest of the headphones, just threaded, like those used by AKG, Beyer or Sony, so in case of balanced operation, you need to do ghetto and remove the little jack, and maybe replace it inside the cup for a 4 conductor one, or just install the wires directly to the cups...

Damn, I was hoping it would be a 4 conductor plug so that I could whip up a cable and hear them balanced on my new amp at the Toronto meet. Oh well, that's life.
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #42 of 103
Quote:

Just unplug the end from the headphone and have a look.
smily_headphones1.gif

Does it have two contact points + ground or three contact points + ground. Is it exactly the same as a minijack plug that you use to connect to an iPod or similar small device or is it different in some way? Do you have a camera?
wink.gif

Sorry, I'm not technical at all
wink.gif

I compared it to the plug for my Senn adaptor and my Koss phones. Same plug.

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #43 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceage
Sorry, I'm not technical at all

No problem, sorry if I came off rude or impatient... was just trying to explain myself more clearly.

Oct 20, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #45 of 103
Quote:

Damn, I was hoping it would be a 4 conductor plug so that I could whip up a cable and hear them balanced on my new amp at the Toronto meet. Oh well, that's life.
wink.gif

I think I'll have to bring two pairs of the HFI-2200's for you guys in TO
tongue.gif

I'll bring the PROline 650 as well, which is pretty much a closed version of the 2200
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back