ultra1fa3.jpg

ultra3ri3.jpg

ultra4uf0.jpg

ultra6er8.jpg

ultra5vq0.jpg

ultra7ma5.jpg

ultra8dk7.jpg

I've had these for about 6 weeks now and here are my impressions:

I was looking for something to compliment my Grado 325is (they have MS2 casings on them), something warm with good soundstage, sort of a bizarro 325i. I had originally purchased the Senn 595s about 4 months ago, but something always seemed off.

I liked the Ultrasone right away. Nice warm sound, nice detail, good soundstage, and the quality of the bass made me smile immediately. After listening to them for a few days, I switched back to the 595s for comparison. Here's what popped into my head:

- The 595s have no bass.
- The 595s have no soundstage (In comparison, it sounded like zero).
- The 595s sound muffled.
- The 595s sound thin.
- The 595s are more comfortable.
- The 595s are going on the sale forum.

It actually sounded like there were pockets of space within the 595s that were devoid of sound. The Ultrasones sound much fuller, even at lower volume levels. The S-Logic tech that Ultrasone touts is not magic, and originally just sounded like the music was simply higher up in my head. After time you notice how indirect and non-fatiguing the sound is, while still remaining full and giving you a very nice bass. The mids are a bit recessed when compared to the 595s, and of course compared to the 325is. It's a unique headphone, and is worth spending some quality time with.

My only gripe so far has been that they are a bit tight (I have a fairly big head.) I have been clamping them to my computer tower and they have loosened up quite a bit.

Also, these need an amp, as they sound a bit thin straight out of a DAP.

Oct 19, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
I'm not sure but the drivers on the HFIs look like they're gold plated
blink.gif
Is it just the lighting angle?

Yep, the drivers are gold-plated.

Oct 19, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 103
595's really arn't too great. They're ok for starter phones but once you step up to better phones they sound like complete crap. I've always wanted to try out Ultrasones they're very interesting.

Oct 19, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 103
Nice replaceable cable... looks like they gave you a little space on the other earcup in case you want to wire them to dual entry. Hmmm, might have to give Ultrasone another chance. Should have a chance to hear these at the upcomming TO meet.

What impedance are they?

Oct 19, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 103
Thanks for the review. I just bought a pair of Ultrasone Proline 750s which I should be receiving in the next day or two. It seems like most people who take the time to carefully listen to the Ultrasones turn out to like them quite a bit. I'm looking forward to spending some quality time giving the 750s some serious listening.

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline
Thanks for the review. I just bought a pair of Ultrasone Proline 750s which I should be receiving in the next day or two. It seems like most people who take the time to carefully listen to the Ultrasones turn out to like them quite a bit. I'm looking forward to spending some quality time giving the 750s some serious listening.

Definately give them a fair amount of time. I like them more and more everyday. I only wish that I had heard a Senn 650 for comparison (No Wallet!! Down boy!!)

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceage
Definately give them a fair amount of time. I like them more and more everyday. I only wish that I had heard a Senn 650 for comparison (No Wallet!! Down boy!!)

You're in luck because I also own a pair of Senn HD650s along with a pair of AKG K701s and Beyerdynamic DT880s (latest edtion) What can I say, I seem to like headph
ones from German manufacturers. Once I get the 750s and have broken them in and spent some time listening to them I'll try and post a review/impression/comparison guide of my high end German headphone collection.

Just don't expect to see again for at least a couple of weeks. And bear in mind that it will only be the opinion of one person and as such be heavyily biased by my audio and musical tastes, which I will try and outline within the post. I'm looking forward to it!

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 103
Quote:

You're in luck because I also own a pair of Senn HD650s along with a pair of AKG K701s and Beyerdynamic DT880s (latest edtion) What can I say, I seem to like headph
ones from German manufacturers. Once I get the 750s and have broken them in and spent some time listening to them I'll try and post a review/impression/comparison guide of my high end German headphone collection.

Just don't expect to see again for at least a couple of weeks. And bear in mind that it will only be the opinion of one person and as such be heavyily biased by my audio and musical tastes, which I will try and outline within the post. I'm looking forward to it!

AKG isn't from Germany but from Austria

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 103
Actually, if you talk to the owner/head designer of Ultrasone, their earcup design and layout is to stop 'harmfull radiation' from the drivers... or something equally suspicious. Still, it could have just been a translation problem as he was very german.
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Actually, if you talk to the owner/head designer of Ultrasone, their earcup design and layout is to stop 'harmfull radiation' from the drivers... or something equally suspicious. Still, it could have just been a translation problem as he was very german.
wink.gif

I didn't really factor that angle in when I purchased these. It's just kind of a bonus.

It might be worth noting that they claim my model reduces the radiation by 98% compared to other brand headphone models. The other Ultrasones in the HFI line only claim 60%.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #14 of 103
Oh right on, I found the Ultrasones to wipe the Sennheisers out to when I went to audition both.

Sad thing is though unless you are mr.white gloves your ultrasone headband will find some way of cracking and eventually breaking, causing you to electrical tape it up. Just seems uneveitable with them, truly sad thing is they aren't doing anything about it and their new 'flagship' $1500 headphone uses the same cheapie headband.

Nonetheloo, enjoy them. Certainly a unique brand of headphone unlike anything else out there.

Quote:

I think most people who draw negative conclusions on the Ultrasones are probably listening on un-burned in can's. The first 30-50 hours or so on these is an absolute nightmare, after that it still takes about 200-300 hours total before they sound like they should. There is no question about it, Ultrasone's MUST be burned in before they sound proper. So I recommend you let them burn in for 50 hours or so before you even put them on. I almost cried when I tried my PROline 750's out of the box, they sounded worse than their lower-model counterparts and it was extremely dissapointing. Now I absolutely love these and can't see myself replacing them until something royalle like PS1 comes along. I'm even more curious about how these will sound amped.

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #15 of 103
I thought the same thing when I first saw the headband, but it looks pretty decent upon closer examination. The rubber part in the middle *could* be prone to cracking if it experienced a great deal of sunlight, but it looks like it is actually mounted to the sturdy plastic part of the band on either side by four small screws. It could probably be replaced if it came to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back