The TTVJ Millett 307A Dynamic Headphone Amplifier
Jul 12, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #16 of 89
Did you find millet better than the b-52? Or just different?

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #17 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you find millet better than the b-52? Or just different?

That is a good and difficult question. "Better" is a very subjective term at this level of quality, with different individuals biases and preferences making a significant impact in overall satisfaction. Here is what I heard at least, and not trying to put a value statement on the differences between the two.

Detail. The TTVJ 307A rendered recorded detail to a greater degree. Instrumental and vocal decay, hall reverberation (whether real or artificial), separation of instruments within the soundstage, and tonal harmonics were easier to perceive via the 307A. Not that the B-52 was a slouch in this area, as there was tremendous detail present. Just that there was a little bit more via the 307A.

Treble and bass extension. The B-52 fell more in line with the traditional "tube amp" sound, with greater warmth and a pleasing fullness to the sound. The treble region was slightly truncated in traditional tube amp form. Via the 307A, the treble extension seemed greater, and thus the overall presentation was brighter than the B-52. Not "bright," so to say, with subsequent treble etch and harshness, but comparatively more treble information was provided.

If you prefer a warm and "tubey" sound, then the B-52 may seem like a "better" amp. Also, the B-52 may be used as a preamp whereas the 307A cannot. This may make the B-52 more useful to some listenerer who want the B-52 to perform double duty as a headphone amp and a preamp in their speaker system. The 307A is more neutral, presents a little more recorded detail. It also is more flexible with different dynamic headphone choices, with dedicated K1000 and IEM abilities.

At this rareified level, you "pick your poison." However, if the poison is the B-52 vs. the TTVJ 307A, FOR MY EARS, the TTVJ is the "better" amp.

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #19 of 89
Stunning amplifier!
biggrin.gif

A bit industrial looking, but I like it.

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #20 of 89
I've spent a bit of time with this amp between the recent meet in NorCal and a mini get togther at Voltron's house. We put the 307a and his amazing SDS XLR with custom power supply put there paces.

The 307a has a studio monitor type feel to it and that sound is one I love. The amp is wide open and dynamic without a trace of harshness. It allows the listener to really get into the mix and separate all the instruments. The amp is very even from top to bottom with no trace bottom end bloat or top end harshness at all. The amp also provides the listener with a fairly wide open space as well. My only quibble and it is minor is it the amp is slightly less involving than the SDS or HD2.
In contrast to the 307a was the SDS XLR now to be fair the SDS can take a wide range of tubes but with the tube complement we used the amps were pretty different and gave the listener two very alternate perspectives of the recording. The SDS had more texture and the vocals were up front and and almost right in front of you. I would call the SDS more intimate. My preference was for the 307a but again this is my sound.

In the end at $6000 this amp should be at the top of anyones list looking for a 'final' destination amp. This is a case of it bieng expensive and totally worth it, if I did not already own the Eddie Current HD2 I would be saving my pennies for this amp. Todd and Peter have a winner on thier hands.

Jul 13, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #21 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the end at $6000 this amp should be at the top of anyones list looking for a 'final' destination amp. This is a case of it bieng expensive and totally worth it, if I did not already own the Eddie Current HD2 I would be saving my pennies for this amp. Todd and Peter have a winner on thier hands.

The HD2 has been on my hit list for a while but there is no news yet from Craig. So, I am thinking of jumping ship to embrace the 307A. How would you compare the 307A against the HD2 ? Your earlier comparison is more like 307A vs. SDS, but I would grateful for some specific 307A vs HD2 impressions.

Thanks in advance.
F. Lo

Jul 13, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #22 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you compare the 307A against the HD2 ?

The HD2 and 307a are more alike than the SDS XLR and the 307a. The 307a has the edge in resolution but I find the HD2 to have more prat.

I think Lawrence did a bit on the three amps and he was actually the only one to listen to them with the same source while we were all out at lunch.

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #23 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD2 and 307a are more alike than the SDS XLR and the 307a. The 307a has the edge in resolution but I find the HD2 to have more prat.

I think Lawrence did a bit on the three amps and he was actually the only one to listen to them with the same source while we were all out at lunch.

I enjoyed the HD2 very mooooch.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #27 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, forgot to ask earlier, can we get internal pics?
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a picture of the guts.

The blue "PCB" is used to mount terminals (that the parts are mounted to), and also has a copper ground plane on it.

The iron is custom...

Pete

Jul 19, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #28 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmillett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a picture of the guts.

The blue "PCB" is used to mount terminals (that the parts are mounted to), and also has a copper ground plane on it.

The iron is custom...

Pete

Pete, thanks for the info and picture!

Jul 26, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #29 of 89
After three weeks away from home, and spending time in some austere jungles of Vietnam and Indonesia, I can say that I am thrilled to be back.

Funny, while gone the thing I missed the most was music through my headphone rig. Although my main CDP is loaned out to Riceboy, the 307A/840C system sounds simply fabulous. The clarity and detail are amazing and there is that wonderful single-ended triode richness to the midrange that is captivating.

Now if my cat would just leave me alone long enough to really enjoy the music!!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back