The TTVJ Millett 307A Dynamic Headphone Amplifier
Dec 13, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #46 of 89
I'm seriously tempted as well but at this price tag I won't buy it before I'm convinced that it's the amp. that will be the "final" for me

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #48 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
piotr_z any chance you can attend one of the regional meets and listen to the amp. It was at CanJam08 an it sounded fantastic with whatever can I tried.

Great advice. Even though the impressions have pretty much been consistent that this is truly an amazing sounding amp, for the cash outlay it would be prudent to at least attempt to have a listen first. However, if you have a swimming pool of money that you can take a dive in with no repurcussions, I see no reason to hold you back
icon10.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #50 of 89
For those with the cash but want to hear it first, I believe that TTVJ has a 30 day money back return policy. Talk to Todd about this as he was really cool with me.

This amp is so flexible and sounds soooooooooo good with any and all dynamic headphones I have tried, my presumption is that if you do bring one home for a "test drive," you will not be sending it back.

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #52 of 89
What is the tube availability of the variety of tubes this amp uses? Are the sort of tubes this amp uses still being produced or does it rely on NOS tubes? I love the things I'm hearing about this amp, but I'd hate to spend $6,000 and not be able to replace the tubes years down the line.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #53 of 89
The tubes are easily available, either through Todd or through various on-line tube stores (Tube World, for one). I have two full sets of back-up tubes, both of which cost about $130/set. My initial set that came with the amp is still running strong, despite being used 5 days a week, 10 hours a day, since July of 2008.

All of the tubes I have are NOS. But as they seem to be very easy to get, I would not let that worry you.

Feb 5, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #54 of 89
I appreciate the reply in response to the tube question.

So you would say that this is more of a 'different flavor' as compared to the B-52 as opposed to a clear upgrade? I was thinking about this eventually, but am somewhat learning towards the B-52 due to the fact that it can be used with speakers as well.

Final question... Which one would you say has better synergy with Sennheisers, if you've tried them on both?

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #55 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
piotr_z any chance you can attend one of the regional meets and listen to the amp. It was at CanJam08 an it sounded fantastic with whatever can I tried.

He's over our side of the pond
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #57 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate the reply in response to the tube question.

So you would say that this is more of a 'different flavor' as compared to the B-52 as opposed to a clear upgrade? I was thinking about this eventually, but am somewhat learning towards the B-52 due to the fact that it can be used with speakers as well.

Final question... Which one would you say has better synergy with Sennheisers, if you've tried them on both?

My preference was the 307A. This amp sounds incredible with the Sennheisers, but, as opposed to the B-52, sounds equally fantastic with every other headphone I have tried with it. I found this most appearant with the Audio Technica W5000's. They sounded o.k. with the B-52 but are wonderful with the 307A. It is more than a "different flavor," it is superiority.

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #58 of 89
I was wondering why you sold the B-52, despite it's preamp feature. This is the amp I'll get, but it won't be for a few years. After I get it and a pair of HD800s, I'll be retired from this 'audiophile journey,' as short as mine has been. I'd rather go for the 'big daddy' than skimping and wondering, then selling my old eq at a loss and moving on up.

I've always been curious though. How much difference is the sound of this compared to something midgrade like a Woo Audio 6 or something along those lines? Does this amp get you close to that 'being there' feeling?

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #60 of 89
Just curious 4N6. What was it that made you say, THIS is the amp I have to have? I know you prefer it to the B52, despite owning the B52 prior. But what was it that said, "I'll deal with the hassle of selling the B52 and I'll overlook the fact that the 307A has no preamp, but I have got to have this new amp!"

Just curious because if I'm ever to spend this kind of money for an amp, I need to immerse myself in details lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back