The TTVJ Millett 307A Dynamic Headphone Amplifier
Feb 8, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #61 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious 4N6. What was it that made you say, THIS is the amp I have to have? I know you prefer it to the B52, despite owning the B52 prior. But what was it that said, "I'll deal with the hassle of selling the B52 and I'll overlook the fact that the 307A has no preamp, but I have got to have this new amp!"

Just curious because if I'm ever to spend this kind of money for an amp, I need to immerse myself in details lol.

There were a number of reasons I went the 307A route.

#1. Sound quality.

#2. Did I already mention the sound quality?

#3. I had a Cary SLP-05 pulling preamp duty in the speaker system, so the pre-amp facilities of the B-52 were not needed.

#4. The ability to drive all types of dynamic headphones. The B-52 can drive most normal headphones, but I also wanted to be able to use the AKG K-1000's, which unfortunately, the B-52 just does not have the power to do.

#5. Great customer service from TTVJ.

#6. The B-52 is truely a great headphone amp, and as such it was not much trouble selling it.

#7. See #1!
smile.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #64 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the Cary had a headphone section?

Yep, it does...and a pretty good one at that.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #65 of 89
So is there any place that routinely stocks new tubes for this? All I seem to be able to find is an occasional used pair (very occasional).

I'd feel a bit uneasy if I couldn't locate at least a 3 or 4 backup sets of tubes, were I to own this.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #66 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is there any place that routinely stocks new tubes for this? All I seem to be able to find is an occasional used pair (very occasional).

I'd feel a bit uneasy if I couldn't locate at least a 3 or 4 backup sets of tubes, were I to own this.

I am not certain that new tubes are available. Not saying they aren't, but I am not sure. I got 2 replacement sets very easily. One from Todd and another from Tube World. As the tubes seem to last a LONG time (my experience so far), I would not be too concerned about not being able to find tubes.

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #67 of 89
I do not need to start another thread...

I'd just like to say that the Millet 307a is absolutely the best headphone amp I have heard to date, especially with Grado HP2i cans !

Nik

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #68 of 89

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #69 of 89
Nik,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your amp! As I am sitting here working, I am listening to the 307A and a pair of balanced Sony CD3000's. Beautiful sound. Warm and detailed with very good balance. I am anxiously awaiting the return of my HD800's that I sent in to be balanced. That should be exquisite.

Have fun!

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #70 of 89
4N6,

I have the HD800 (unbalanced) but my HP2i with the 307a is something special, no any other cans can do the same, may be (I'm convinced of this) the Millet is very specil for low impedence cans, or may be my HP2i is something special, or both...

Now I'll test different tubes on the amp: Sylvania and Rytheon 307a, did you have done some tests with other tubes on your millet?

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #71 of 89
Perhaps I need to find me a pair of HP2i's...

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #72 of 89
Would you call the sound from the 307a warm? Im not doubting you, but it seemed that a lot of the feedback Ive seen has said its pretty neutral. Does it have a little coloration? Maybe I will put it back on my list.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #73 of 89
Yes ! the sound out of the Millet is pretty neutral, but so MUSICAL ... you can't imagine...

The most impressive thing is how mutch it is complete from top to bottom, detailed never analytical and the sound is a massive BIG sound !!!

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #74 of 89
Thanks for the response. Its now back to being on my top 3 list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back