The TTVJ Millett 307A Dynamic Headphone Amplifier
Aug 4, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #31 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so where does the B52 go now?

see my sig. if you don't ask, you'll never know.
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #32 of 89
I brought the 307A/Ref CD7 system into work and listen via HD650's and the SA5000's. I have not had the guts yet to listen to the K-1000's in public.
smily_headphones1.gif

The sound is so wonderful at times that it is difficult to get any work done.

BTW, any new 307A owners out there?

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #33 of 89
After a few years of drooling about the Sony MDR-R10's and missing out on chances to buy a pair, fortune finally struck. I have read many posts that the R10 needed a good headphone amplifier to sound its best, and if not properly fed, would sound relatively average.

Many R10 headphone owners use and swear by SinglePower amps, and after hearing the R10/SinglePower Dragon combo, I can see why. The sound quality of this combination is truely remarkable. However, the recent posts regarding availabilty and reliability of high-end SinglePower amplifiers are somewhat alarming, and those looking to properly amplify their R10's may wonder where else to turn.

I can tell you that the R10/307A combination is an absolute out-of-the-park home run. Gobs of detail, deep soundstage, a warm yet evenly balanced tonal palette, and great punch. The resolution this system provides is almost microscopic, yet the detail is never etched, fatiguing, or thrust in you face.

After living with the TTVJ Millett 307A for three months, all of my original feelings are solidified. I am thoroughly pleased with the sound quality, build quality, and functionality of this amp. Is it the best dynamic headphone amplifier on the market? Perhaps, but that is a question that cannot be definitively answered. Is it the best headphone amplifier I have ever heard? Absolutely!

Sep 21, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #34 of 89
All this just makes me wonder, "Just how GOOD is a maxxed and tuned SDS-XLR from a world-class source?"

Personally, as mid-fi my rig is, I'm not even sure how the music can still get better.
ph34r.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #35 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All this just makes me wonder, "Just how GOOD is a maxxed and tuned SDS-XLR from a world-class source?"

Personally, as mid-fi my rig is, I'm not even sure how the music can still get better.
ph34r.gif

I don't think the R10 with a MPX3 is exactly "mid-fi". Maybe some better source would provide more "texture" and other benefits, but if you're already enjoying your music, you're not missing a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #37 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the R10 with a MPX3 is exactly "mid-fi". Maybe some better source would provide more "texture" and other benefits, but if you're already enjoying your music, you're not missing a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

I concur, specially a highly tweaked MPX3 w/ the right tubes.
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #39 of 89
I must admit that the 307A has been terrific with all headphones that I have used with it. I previously owned the AT ATH-W5000 headphones, but sold them as they just did not sound very good through my Cary SLI-80 and only a little better through the B-52. I am borrowing another set from Riceboy and they really sound great. Where did that bass come from? The reticence that I remember the headphone having is gone. I have to do some more extended listening and comparing, but all the reasons I sold the headphone previously seem to be ameliorated by the 307A.

What an amp!

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #40 of 89
I had a big smile across my face after hearing Todd's 307a amp at the Chicago meet.
smily_headphones1.gif

It sounded terrific with every headphone I sampled. Awesome, awesome coherency and dynamics!

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #41 of 89
This amp is at the top of my list for future purchases. Hopefully I'll be able to pull the trigger shortly after the new year.

Akabeth...I'm diggin' your new avatar.

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #42 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This amp is at the top of my list for future purchases. Hopefully I'll be able to pull the trigger shortly after the new year.

You sure have a strong wallet from my point of view
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Akabeth...I'm diggin' your new avatar.

Thank you
beerchug.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #43 of 89
Yeah, the TTVJ 307A is such a fantastic amp. Absolutely sonic "perfection", if there is such a thing. At minimum, it kept me utterly engrossed in the music, and wanting to hear my entire CD with any phone I could grab. Wunderful indeed.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #44 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the TTVJ 307A is such a fantastic amp. Absolutely sonic "perfection", if there is such a thing. At minimum, it kept me utterly engrossed in the music, and wanting to hear my entire CD with any phone I could grab. Wunderful indeed.

Absolutely 100% agree. I spent the evening listening with many different headphones and am still just amazed at how good this thing is. This should on everyones wish list for Christmas as the ultimate gift (even if it is to yourself)!

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #45 of 89
Really nice write-up and impressions. Thanks for sharing!
biggrin.gif

Certainly looks like a h*ll of an amplifier. Would like to audition one some time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back