The Toneking discussion lounge
Oct 25, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #286 of 351
There is and it looks legit:
I also spoke to the buyer who showed me the receipt from Penon Audio 6/2018 so it's an older model.
Edit: If you look at the pics on Penon there's only ONE hole so I don't know. But it also might just be a display model but it looks like there's internals....

20201024_111948.jpg
Have you listened much with T88k? I’ve been impressed. However I think I noticed a definite limitation regarding treble. Jazz song with more than one rapid, high pitch instruments simultaneously and it sounds muddled, thin, timbre off. Does not sound so with my Dunu 3001pro. Disappointing but so far it’s the only instance I’ve found.

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #287 of 351
Have you listened much with T88k? I’ve been impressed. However I think I noticed a definite limitation regarding treble. Jazz song with more than one rapid, high pitch instruments simultaneously and it sounds muddled, thin, timbre off. Does not sound so with my Dunu 3001pro. Disappointing but so far it’s the only instance I’ve found.

I have been listening extensively with T88K, comparing with other iems that come up on used forums. I wasn't sure what to expect because there weren't many reviews but I've been surprised. The bass and midrange has nice speed and texture but the treble seems recessed and veiled. I've been listening to EDM and on a couple tracks there's good extension, it's just harder to hear compared to bass and mids. It helps with sibilance for sure and makes long listening sessions a joy but a little more sparkle could be nice...

My only real complaint is the shell size. They're the largest by far with the "flap" that presses into the upper part of the ear is too large. I'm thinking of going to a shop with a wheel sander and polishing off the larger part of the flap, but I'm no Bob Villa and I'm afraid of borking up the shell, so I guess I'll just keep smoking this stuff from the DOCTOR to help with me ear pain LOL...

Seriously though if anyone has a set of T66s or that Electrostatic Alpha for sale hit me up! The ONLY thing I'm looking at for 11.11 is the Alpha. Does anyone know anyone who has reviewed them?

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #289 of 351
If you have a second and can STAND electronic music check this track out. There's some super high pitched tones in it that are just divine on the T88K reaching very high on the outside soundstage with bass and a midrange riff that layer beautifully. .

I’ll check it out. Is the song link mp3 or uncompressed? If mp3, I suspect it wouldn’t be a good example to test from.
Edit: lossy not compressed

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #290 of 351
Put foam tips on T88k. Doing so has done much to diminish some of the upper treble tonality issues inexperienced. Still present but less noticeably. Also had the effect of decreasing that swelling sense of mids which I rather enjoyed but did make for an imbalanced sound. Overall the foams appear to have balanced the entire tonal spectrum

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #291 of 351
Put foam tips on T88k. Doing so has done much to diminish some of the upper treble tonality issues inexperienced. Still present but less noticeably. Also had the effect of decreasing that swelling sense of mids which I rather enjoyed but did make for an imbalanced sound. Overall the foams appear to have balanced the entire tonal spectrum

They're so tight I'd need some smaller foam tips than I currently have. I've rolled so many tips I'm very happy with my current setup, they're silicone and very small for a deep insertion. I'm pretty sure foam would increase the bass more than now which would be too much.

They're soo nice I had to buy them twice! I had the opportunity to snag a used pair with THREE bore holes and no vent that were also a different color. The second picture is of the joined bore holes with a 90 degree bend in the channel that joins the two tweeter BAs. There's a similar bend for the Mids/Bass BAs. There is no precise boring in the new pair and it looks like the tweeter BAs were joined due the the proximity of each other while the Mids/Bass BAs have individual bores with individual metal filters. Very different placement of the components inside too. And the cables are very different. Both very nice though.

They sound virtually similar and any differences were too close for me to tell.

20201105_104343.jpg

20201105_104412.jpg

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #293 of 351
Small update: Toneking Lucifers, about 350 hrs on them, loving them each time i use em

very comfortable for long periods of use, durability is fantastic (occasional hits on metal desk, and falls, not even a ding in the lacquer)

very satisfying sound, settled nicely
Some people said that the bass is too boomy and overall sound is dull/not clean because of no front vent , is that true ???

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #294 of 351
Some people said that the bass is too boomy and overall sound is dull/not clean because of no front vent , is that true ???

i would say those impressions r accurate with stock tips and setup. I switched over to Periodic Audio Hydrogens (they have nice wide bore) and it made the sound better balanced, like lifting veil

these IEMs are nice guilty pleasure IEMs, u can defnitely find IEMs with better detail, but the tonality and enjoyment factor of these is quite pleasant. :)

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #295 of 351
Does anyone have T10k impressions? I just found them on Aliexpress on sale and may pull the trigger. It looks like there's two listings though, one for $430 the other for $415, both at 28% discount.

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #297 of 351
I just realize...there were 2 versions of the Ninetails, the first one with shorter back tube (with some units that have no cement inside) and the 2nd gen with the longer one which is also sold on massdrop, that which is the version that died on me without any reason. I also think that the 1st gen was the better one since I find my Ninetails being unbearably sharp in the 7-8khz region.
DSC_0116-1.jpg
TiciKc6iR8OQcFWt8s6A_PC.jpg

Anyways, my project of reviving my Ninetails is a success. I found the perfect driver that matches the stock driver of the 9way but with better response in the highs and vocal presentation, no more sharp 7-8khz peaks and lesser midbass hump. Its actually more intoxicating to listen to than the original Ninetails. Also sanded down the tubes edges because it causes pain to my ears.

20201208_140220.jpg

This might the most natural sounding iem Ive heard atm, though this is mostly a diy iem now.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #298 of 351
I just realize...there were 2 version of the Ninetails, the first one with shorter back tube (with some units that have no cement inside) and the 2nd gen with the longer one which is also sold on massdrop, that which is the version that died on me without any reason. I also think that the 1st gen was the better one since I find my Ninetails being unbearably sharp in the 7-8khz region.
DSC_0116-1.jpg
TiciKc6iR8OQcFWt8s6A_PC.jpg

Anyways, my project of reviving my Ninetails is a success. I found the perfect driver that matches the stock driver of the 9way but with better response in the highs and vocal presentation, no more sharp 7-8khz peaks and lesser midbass hump. Its actually more intoxicating to listen to than the original Ninetails. Also sanded down the tubes edges because it causes pain to my ears.

20201208_140220.jpg

This might the most natural sounding iem Ive heard atm, though this is mostly a diy iem now.

Wow thanks for the headsup, didn't know there were 2 versions. I think mine is the 1st version, I don't notice any 7 - 8 kHz peak on my set.
It is for sure a keeper set for me, I'm never gonna sell it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back