The Toneking discussion lounge
Jan 5, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #181 of 351
I had the fixed cabled version which the mids arent recessed by any means, I would described it to be U-shaped sound signatured tho since it have a few bumps on both ends. also changed the tips to further reduce the higher end frequencies, so its basically much closer to neutral now. I just really wanted to know if theres an advantage in listening tru a planar driver like is it better in speed, detail retrieval etc. the FR graph of the bl1 looks good tho amazingly dead flat except for that treble which I think could be fixed But Ive seen many buyers saying negative about quality control of the bl1, mainly those who bought from drop.
I'd say stay with what you have. I did have a MMCX connection tightness issue on a pair of BL1 that went back.

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #188 of 351
Although I recently saw a black variant of the bl1 the one on their taobao page (abalone) I think they might have fix those quality issues. If thats the case I might go for it.
If you can live without that elephantine SW3 sub-bass, BL1 might be an interesting different tuning for you to try...your choice.
Damping guide below in case you missed it...essential IMO...unless you are a hardcore treblehead.
You can just use the sponge in the retail box...density seemed about right to me...cut 2 long rectangular columns wider than the nozzle hole it will be going into...according to his ruler sizing...can trim them down more to adjust level of damping..put them side-by-side to ensure equal length before inserting them....this is same as Sony XBA-N1/N3...I think so many IEMs need this treatment.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1274#post-14558359

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #189 of 351
If you can live without that elephantine SW3 sub-bass, BL1 might be an interesting different tuning for you to try...your choice.
Damping guide below in case you missed it...essential IMO...unless you are a hardcore treblehead.
You can just use the sponge in the retail box...density seemed about right to me...cut 2 long rectangular columns wider than the nozzle hole it will be going into...according to his ruler sizing...can trim them down more to adjust level of damping..put them side-by-side to ensure equal length before inserting them....this is same as Sony XBA-N1/N3...I think so many IEMs need this treatment.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1274#post-14558359

Nice thanks..btw tho is the bl1 really needs a lot of power to sound good? Im mainly using my lg v50 as source.

Jan 6, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #190 of 351
I'm not sure of the output of that phone, but generally planar IEMs need more headroom power to sound their best....basically so the volume is not maxxed out at 95% and you have that reserve power if needed.....lot of gear seems to get shrill/strained sounding if its powering into that last 10% of power output on the volume dial.
My DACamp is 550mWatts per channel, but volume way down in audirvana+......maybe at 25% of full power ....it is also balanced output.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #193 of 351
Is the warranty on Toneking stuff a year, or just that 15-day period after you buy on aliX ?

Jan 11, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #194 of 351
Is the warranty on Toneking stuff a year, or just that 15-day period after you buy on aliX ?

Not sure, as I've never returned a toneking product, maybe ask the store?

But whatever the case, sending stuff back to China from AE purchases is not worth it most of the time. The transport costs back to China may be even the cost of a budget CHIFI IEM.

Jan 11, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #195 of 351
Not sure, as I've never returned a toneking product, maybe ask the store?

But whatever the case, sending stuff back to China from AE purchases is not worth it most of the time. The transport costs back to China may be even the cost of a budget CHIFI IEM.

^^that

But lucky for us who lives in southeast asia, since we have another option for online stores; lazada and shopee, that offers free return/refund (time depending on the seller) but doesnt have the full inventory like aliex.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back