The Thraaaaash Metalllllllll Thread! (thrash metal)
Jan 2, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #106 of 159
Buy the Demolition Hammer-Necrology, has all three albums by them. But the third is trash so ignore it.

Also, deicide is not that "brutal", and Benton is an idiot. If you want real brutality go get some Suffocation, but this is a discussion for the death metal thread, not thrash.

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #107 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy the Demolition Hammer-Necrology, has all three albums by them. But the third is trash so ignore it.

Also, deicide is not that "brutal", and Benton is an idiot. If you want real brutality go get some Suffocation, but this is a discussion for the death metal thread, not thrash.

Ei! We agree, what's up ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #108 of 159
I wonder who started all the micro-classifying of the hard/metal music? I mean I hate that. Today it's like "Oh you like that so you're over here, you believe that so you're over here"..."you approve of that so you're one of those."
Back to the point, I mean what's the purpose of labelling something black, death, hardcore, thrash etc ad infinitum, ad nauseaum? Why can't it all just be Metal? Is it because there is so much of it we need a classification system to find what we like or what? I mean, to oversimplify, it's either good or it ain't. I do realize that the "good" and "bad" is HIGHLY subjective however.

Sorry...just ranting

That Suffocation is definitely brutal..lol..I went back and listened to the "Human Waste" album...WHOA that is BA!
Is that Death metal? With the fast Slayeresque drum/guitar thing and the growling hard to understand vocals?
Be patient with me ...I'm trying to learn something from you guys.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #110 of 159
Thanks japc. OK I have abused this thread long enough. Since it is a Thrash thread, would you site me an absolutely CLASSIC example of Thrash? A band that just absolutely is THE crown jewel or THE archetype of thrash. Sort of like you said about Suffocation. TIA

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #111 of 159
There are too many good Thrash albums to only mention one. Try the well known:

Kreator - Pleasure To Kill
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Artillery - By Inheritance
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence
Ѕodom - Agent Orange

and them read this thread from page 1 for a lot of hidden gems.

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #112 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks japc. OK I have abused this thread long enough. Since it is a Thrash thread, would you site me an absolutely CLASSIC example of Thrash? A band that just absolutely is THE crown jewel or THE archetype of thrash. Sort of like you said about Suffocation. TIA

japc's suggestions pretty much sum up a great deal of the thrash metal genre, i'd recommend you especially the Exodus and Artillery albums, which in my humble opinion are "THE archetype of thrash", the first one is more aggressive, a style of thrash similar to bands like Kreator, Morbid Saint and many others ( i've read you don't like subgenres...so sorry for this sub-subgenre categorization
biggrin.gif
) while By Inheritance is a more technical sort of thrash, sung with softer vocals and more cleanly produced, both records feature an unbelievable amount of awesome riffs...

If you want to hear some really good stuff for free check out Anacrusis, wheir discography is available from their website, all albums are fine examples of thrash metal.

About subgenres in metal, it might seem quite useless and "elitist", but it is necessary, since "metal" can go from the extremely slow to the extremely fast,from growling to clean vocals, from three man bands to full sized orchestras, Just listen to something by Nile and compare it with some Esoteric or simply with Black Sabbath's Paranoid, and you will surely understand why we can't simply call it "Metal.

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #113 of 159
Just to throw my 27,000 Liras into the sub-genre discussion...

I understand why the classifying is necessary, although I don't like it. The real question is just how deep to we need to go?

Suffocation is death metal, we can call agree on that. But Cynic and Death also play death metal, albeit different shades of it. I don't think anyone would confuse those three bands. Someone who doesn't like Suffo might like Cynic(as, I feel, there is a large enough musical difference between the two to reasonably expect someone to like Cynic and not Suffo)--so lumping them all together simply as Death Metal is misleading.

So we call Suffo brutal death metal, or New York death metal, or whatever you like. And Cynic becomes Death Jazz or Death Fusion, again, what have you. But where does Death fit in? They're not brutal and not jazz, but they're kinda technical and progressive, so that's progressive death metal? Couldn't we just call Cynic progressive death metal then, and simplify things?

The devil's advocate in me says no, we can't do that, because Cynic and Death clearly sound different.

And the above worthless paragraphs are why I don't like the classification system. Differentiating between NWOBHM and black metal makes sense--there aren't enough shared characteristics to assume that fans of one genre would be fans of the other. But after a certain point, it really is just a bunch of rubbish...

I mean really, who only listens to melodic power thrash? So much so that when some technical power thrash comes their way they puke everywhere and van Gogh their ears to escape from the atrocity? No one? So we really don't need to have those sub-sub-sub genre classifications then, right?

Heathen says I should just listen to the music and bang my head. I'm inclined to agree.

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #114 of 159
Cool..thanks..I bought Reign in Blood when it was new. I really love Slayer's "Seasons in the Abyss". What would you categorize that as? Same, thrash?
I also bought Metallica RTL when it was new and still love it. I have several Exodus albums and Megadeth too. I guess I am a thrash-head huh?
I appreciate the help fellas...I'm just not up on the genres and species and sub-species etc..lol
I will check out those other bands too. That 1991 Suffocation album is off the hook man! I gotta find that TODAY.

I agree Wenglish. Just listen and bang your head. This all started for me a while back when I was researching new metal type music. I found a few websites that showcase all new stuff and they were throwing out all these labels and classifications and I got a little intimidated and turned off actually. I was thinking "what is happpening to my beloved rock music?" we're turning into artsy-fartsy classification geeks...lol

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #115 of 159
Quote:

I wonder who started all the micro-classifying of the hard/metal music? I mean I hate that. Today it's like "Oh you like that so you're over here, you believe that so you're over here"..."you approve of that so you're one of those."
Back to the point, I mean what's the purpose of labelling something black, death, hardcore, thrash etc ad infinitum, ad nauseaum? Why can't it all just be Metal? Is it because there is so much of it we need a classification system to find what we like or what? I mean, to oversimplify, it's either good or it ain't. I do realize that the "good" and "bad" is HIGHLY subjective however.

I used to feel the same way, but once I actually made the effort to "learn" all the different genres, it really made a profound difference in how I enjoy metal. Seriously. It's not just that we want to be pricks about it, although I know some of us may come off that way sometimes. It's more about appreciating the important history and influences - if only to be able to separate the wheat from the chafe.

I should also add that this form of anal desire to classify is not unique to "true" metal fans - just ask oenophiles, coffee snobs, art historians, *cough*DIYers*cough*, etc. The list is too long.

Bottom line - we're not going to relent in our desire to classify or to tell you when you're wrong about it.
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #116 of 159
That Demolition Hammer is awesome. I guess I am gonna pick up that 3 disc anthology. I like the Time Bomb album sound. I guess I'm more of a thrash/groove guy...but not exclusively ..I don't want to "box meself in"..ehehee

Jan 3, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #117 of 159
Quote:

Big HMW in da hizz-ouse

I believe that you have just visited my website, the almighty BIGHMW.com. Either that or you heard my samples of my AK47 material on my BIGHMW MySpace site.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Fido2 is stoned =D

You must be jealous dude, just go to my BIGHMW Network of websites and check it out for yourself.

Jan 3, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #118 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are too many good Thrash albums to only mention one. Try the well known:

Kreator - Pleasure To Kill
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Artillery - By Inheritance
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence
Ѕodom - Agent Orange

and them read this thread from page 1 for a lot of hidden gems.

Great list there Japc, I will take a stab at thrash classics list also:

Kreator - Extreme Agression
Sodom - Persecution Mania
Overkill - Years of Decay
Testament - Practice What you Preach
Slayer - Show no Mercy
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Anthrax - Among the Living
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Death Angel - Act III
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends

That is a good start............
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #119 of 159
Here, let me write up all the genres within metal itself.

Death Metal

Death Metal
Technical Death Metal
Brutal Death Metal
Melodic Death Metal
melodeath/gothenburg
Deathgrind
Blackened Death Metal
Atmospheric Death Metal (questionable as to how real of a genre it is)
Symphonic Death Metal (see: Phlebotomized-Immense, Intense, Suspense)

Black Metal
Black Metal
1st Wave
2nd Wave
Raw Black Metal
Melodic Black Metal
Ambient Black Metal
Blackened Thrash Metal
Blackened Death Metal
Progressive Black Metal
Viking Metal
Blackened Folk

Thrash
Thrash
Technical Thrash
Brutal Thrash
Death/thrash
Early Bay Area Sound
Teutonic Sound
Thrash Revival sound

Doom Metal
Traditional Doom Metal
Heavy Doom Metal
Funeral Doom
Drone
Epic Doom Metal

Key Metal Scenes

NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal
Bay Area Thrash
Teutonic Thrash
Brazilian Blackened Thrash
2nd Wave of Black Metal (Norway)
Hellenic Black Metal
NYDM (New York Death Metal)
Florida Death Metal
Swedish Death Metal
LLN (The Black Legions)
Eastern European Black Metal/Blackened Folk Metal

Now is there anything you guys want to add to this?

I thought about doing Heavy, Power, and Folk, but I feel those are 95% of the time straightforward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back