The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post)
Nov 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #121 of 750
Quote:

Those are looking really nice.  Are those the HifiMAN pads that are still being used on your pair?  The look like they fit very well - and just as I remember them from when those headphones were the original black Fostex plastic color before you had the extra work done.  Very, very nice !!!

Heya Wayne,

No, these are not the HiFiman pads anymore, they're the Fischer Audio 003.  These are very soft.  Way more comfortable then the HiFiman pads.  

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #122 of 750
Quote:

Heya Wayne,

No, these are not the HiFiman pads anymore, they're the Fischer Audio 003.  These are very soft.  Way more comfortable then the HiFiman pads.  

Darryl,  Thanks for the info.  So, the pads are just stretched over the cups?  I have a pair of the pads, that I had purchased from MP4nation, which sells the Brainwavz variant.  When I took a quick measurement, the circumference of the "003" pads were about an inch smaller than the cup circumference of the Fostex T50RP.  This concerned me a bit, as I thought it would be a problem to get them on the cups, and I may have had to heat the vinyl a bit to get it to stretch.  However, I devised another method for adhering them, and ended up getting the pads into place.  I'll agree about the comfort factor -- and, buying from MP4Nation means that you'll pay about $16.00 for a pair and the shipping would be free -- if you're willing to wait a few weeks to get the item from Hong Kong via the slow method.  However, one can pay a bit more for express shipping to get them sooner.  

Here are some pictures of my adaptation used with mounting the pads. I used extra pieces of leather and pleather that I had to make a new ring that would allow the pad to properly fit onto the Fostex cup a bit easier.  I still have a bit of some adhesive debris to remove from the plastic cups and some of the material.  I've used some Goo Gone a few days ago, but the work was still drying, and I didn't want to mess up the bond.  However, now that things are dried up, I'll need to clean them up better.

*** Edit: Here is a link to the pads that I purchased.  The price is for "each" one, so you need to add two to your shopping cart: http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #123 of 750
I just got my Paradox back from a long road of repair.  Thanks Luis.  Since then I also got my Mad Dogs re tuned and the Dog Pads added.  I also got the BMF’s re tuned as well. The BMF’s are what I call a living mod.  Keith and crew are always finding new and interesting things to do with the BMFs.  So the current version I have is the 8.1 or DBV #3 or something??  I can’t keep up.

It’s been a very long time since I heard the Paradox; I need to get use to them all over again.  So this is going to be like a first impression. 

I’m using my 4 channels Fully Balanced βeta-22  for that amp with my PWD mkII for the DAC.  This is the first time I’m able to hear all of these on my βeta-22 at the same time.  Very exciting.

The test tracks are as follows:

Bye Bye Blackbird by Rachelle Ferrell
Indigo Children “JLE Dub Mix” by Puscifer
Love Me Like A Man by Diana Krall
Uninvited (Live) by Alanis Morissette
Soldier of Love by Sade

These impressions are all IMO.

Neutralness:
The paradox is certainly one the most neutral headphones I've heard.  The detail, timbre, neutrality & accuracy are very good.  To me it sounds like they have an extremely flat response compared to the others.  Only the BMFs seem to be in the same ballpark when it comes to being neutral. It seems to me the MDs have a tad bit of coloration going on, not much at all and it’s in a good way, a very good way.  I really enjoy that about the MDs.

Midrange:
The mids on the Paradox are very present; I haven’t noticed any midrange suck out at all.  I noticed the mids on the MDs a tad bit warmer when compared to the other two. The mids on the BMFs are silky smooth, lush and effortless.  The vocals and particularly female voices are natural and very enjoyable more so on the BMFs than the Paradox.

Soundstage:
None of these has HD800 or AKG soundstage but relatively speaking the soundstage on the Paradox is pretty good, both the width & depth is fantastic.  However, I would say it’s second to the BFFs.  The BMFs sound surprisingly open, airy and spacious for a closed headphone.  The MD does sound staging well nothing to write home about it’s just good.

Highs:
The treble and highs are pretty flat (might have just a very slight peak) on the Paradox when compared to the other two, no spikes or treble emphases that I can hear.  They seem to do this with very little effort.  The highs on the BMFs have a bit of sparkle when compared to the other two.  Not in a bad way, but if your sensitive to sparkly treble then you would notice this right off the bat.  I for one like a tab bit of sparkle in the highs.  The treble on the MDs are a tad bit warmer than the others - again, not in a bad way.  Warm to me doe not mean recessed.  None of these headphones are what I would call bright.  All do a very good job controlling the treble.

Bass:
If you like bass quantity or added bass the paradox are not for you. If you like all out flat bass with great extension and true to the track then the Paradox is for you.  The Paradox is not bass shy, or bass heavy.  What ever the track calls for the Paradox will give it to you.  When compared to the Mad Dogs, the MDs brings out the “FUN FACTOR”.  The bass is more deep and refined or should I say more appealing to the bass lovers. It's not LCD-2.2 bass but it has punch and it attacks very well.  The bass on the BMF is like right in the middle of the others.  Just a tab bit more emphases than flat or neutral but at the same time not bass heavy at all.  In fact it’s very tight and accurate.  Same with the MDs, it’s just more of it by an inch.    

What can I say; the Paradox is very well behaved headphone. There’s no treble emphasis, No bass emphases either way, no spikes, peaks, humps, bumps or otherwise.  The Overall tonal balance is top notch; they’re not dry or clinical by no means. The paradox may seem boring to some, but after a little time with them you begin to appreciate it for what it does so well.

So it all boils down to what type of sound signature you like? 

In Short:

Paradox:
Neutral, Flat, Accurate, detailed, Not bass heavy or bass light,

(BMF) Blue Monkey Flyer:
Smooth, lush mids, really close to neutral, just a tab bit tilted towards to bass and treble, accurate, detailed.

Mad Dogs:
FUN FACTOR bass wise, just a tab bit warm in the highs, and mids, accurate.

My choices comes down to this:

Best Technically: 
Paradox
BMF
Mad Dogs

More fun or enjoyable:
Mad Dogs
BMF
Paradox

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #124 of 750
Very interesting prepro! Thank you very much for taking your time to write down your impressions. I should have mine typed up tonight or tomorrow. I would love to own a pair of paradox, but you are making me very tempted to try out some DIY mods first! Truth be told, I'd like to own a BMF, a MadDog and a Paradox, and then play with some other sets on my own. But, I'm too broke for all that! 

Thanks again!

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #125 of 750
Darryl,

Thanks for the well laid out analysis of the 3 Fostex headphones.  At the moment, I believe you might be the only member to own all three variations of the most popular T50s.  You are very fortunate to have such a wonderful collection of headphones.  If the ability to have such a great collection is due to not having a spouse, I'd suggest that you keep it that way.  Then, the only one you have to compromise with is yourself.  
biggrin.gif

Thanks again for the reviews.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #126 of 750
Very nice impressions and a good comparison!! This will help many who are interested in getting a turn key modded t50rp. Thanks for sharing. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #127 of 750
preproman

Nice review and comparison! I can confirm everything you said, but IMO, highs on paradox are not as flat as you said :) BTW, which headphone do you prefer - Paradox or HE-500? Just curious, I have them both too and by now I prefer Paradox in every aspect except comfort (my ears sweat hard in leather pads :frowning2:( )

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #128 of 750
Excellent impressions, preproman.  Thanks!  I'm curious to hear the latest rev. of the BMF.. like the Paradox, that is truly a labor of love by bluemonkeyflyer.

For those unaware, I'm indexing/linking impressions, reviews, and otherwise notable posts from this thread in the in the second post.

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #129 of 750
BTW, which headphone do you prefer - Paradox or HE-500? Just curious, I have them both too and by now I prefer Paradox in every aspect except comfort (my ears sweat hard in leather pads :frowning2:( )

I had the HE-500 for quite some time, too (and only recently sold it).. a fantastic ortho, for sure.. but I preferred the Paradox to it.  The HE-500's slightly elevated mid/lower bass & thick, forward upper bass/lower midrange was a deal breaker.  It was just too colored in that region for my liking.

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #130 of 750
Quote:
I had the HE-500 for quite some time, too (and only recently sold it).. a fantastic ortho, for sure.. but I preferred the Paradox to it.  The HE-500's slightly elevated bass and thick, forward upper bass, lower midrange was a deal breaker.  It was just too warm in that region for my liking.

Yup, I feel exactly the same about their sound. I hoped that more detailed. resolving etc. DAC like Anedio would "cure" this, but there was no miracle - I still like Paradox more :) And for the first time in my life I really think my headphone quest is finally over, because I don't see ANY flaws in the sound that instantly catch my attention, as it was with the "thick" sound of HE-500 at some tracks.

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #131 of 750
The frequency response for the Paradox seems dead flat even beyond 1k Hz, but isn't this bad for a headphone (especially for the purpose of enjoying music)? I've always heard that you'd like to see a moderate linear decrease in response after 1k due to the proximity of headphones to the ear, compared to speakers (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurement-proceedures-frequency-response). Is the graph LFF showing adjusted in some way for this desired effect or is it really that flat because that may result in a pretty bright sounding headphone. 

EDIT: (This is the graph I'm referring to)
500x1000px-LL-14fb3a5f_index.jpeg

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #132 of 750
Quote:
The frequency response for the Paradox seems dead flat even beyond 1k Hz, but isn't this bad for a headphone (especially for the purpose of enjoying music)? I've always heard that you'd like to see a moderate linear decrease in response after 1k due to the proximity of headphones to the ear, compared to speakers (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurement-proceedures-frequency-response). Is the graph LFF showing adjusted in some way for this desired effect or is it really that flat because that may result in a pretty bright sounding headphone. 

To my ears, high freq response of paradox is on the bright side of neutrality, maybe even on the edge, but I totally disagree with statement that they are boring headphones to listen to.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #133 of 750
Quote:

My understanding is that it is compensated.

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #134 of 750
Quote:
To my ears, high freq response of paradox is on the bright side of neutrality, maybe even on the edge, but I totally disagree with statement that they are boring headphones to listen to.

I never said they're boring if you're referring to comment's I've made. In fact, I think being bright makes them a little more lively, but I'd only be worried about fatigue. However, if they really are bright, people might be listening them at a lower volume (at least compared to warmer headphones), and that may contribute to the perceived lower bass quantity people are experiencing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back