The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post)
Nov 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #106 of 750
I had a similar experience when i sold my Bottlehead Crack.  Regretted it till this day.  Crack withdraw is not easy.  Specially when it had the speed ball option.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #107 of 750
Quote:
I had a similar experience when i sold my Bottlehead Crack.  Regretted it till this day.  Crack withdraw is not easy.  Specially when it had the speed ball option.
biggrin.gif

You WHAT! That's a darn good amp with the speedball upgrade.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #108 of 750
Quote:

Don't worry about it. Your impressions may change more. Or they could change less. Or they could change over time - as in several years. Practically all the guys I know who like flat / neutralish sounding headphones loved Grados at one point in their lives. You are probably suffering what is known as Grado withdrawl. Without Grados, everything sounds a less exciting, a less punchy, less fun, etc. Over time, you may start to appreciate the understated qualities of flat / neutral headphones. You may even sell of your Grados, or keep one for occasional listening.

(Magnums are like advanced refined Grados, but still very Grado.) The Magnums you have are very unique though. Possibly more articulate, zingy, detailed, and textured (all Grado strong suits) than the Paradox, but the Paradox is much more accurate with better true frequency extension at both ends.

Initially, I suffered Grado withdrawl.. Hence, the hatred on the Paradox (also there might have been some pad issues). I think I'm definitely learning to appreciate the Paradox (and a flat/neutralish sound) now though.

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #111 of 750
Sorry to derail this thread, but i've been missing my SR-225i ever since I made the dumb mistake of upgrading to the 325i.
I remember listening to the 225i for hours and hours every day and almost became an instant Grado fanboy. I was even looking into the RS1/RS2!! This was from someone who disliked the SR-80 a LOT.
That 225i made me listen to every single song straight through. Stuff I normally skipped. Maybe I had some amazing synergy with the portable CD player I was using.
It was an old Panasonic from 2002 that seem fairly warm and not too detailed. Seems good for the brighter headphones like the AE1 and Grados.

I basically keep reminding myself to get another one. I might try to sell off my HD-598 to get one. With the Q701 and HD-580 around, the 598 is kind of pointless.

Sorry...off topic, but I had to comment.

(btw I'm tempted to go the cheap route, save $50 and get the 125i. Hope it's not closer to the SR-80 than the 225i.)

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #112 of 750
Quote:
That 225i made me listen to every single song straight through. Stuff I normally skipped. Maybe I had some amazing synergy with the portable CD player I was using.
It was an old Panasonic from 2002 that seem fairly warm and not too detailed. Seems good for the brighter headphones like the AE1 and Grados.

I basically keep reminding myself to get another one. I might try to sell off my HD-598 to get one. With the Q701 and HD-580 around, the 598 is kind of pointless.

If you like the HD-580 (and the HD-598) maybe you should give the Paradox a try... 

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #113 of 750
Quote:
Sorry to derail this thread, but i've been missing my SR-225i ever since I made the dumb mistake of upgrading to the 325i.
I remember listening to the 225i for hours and hours every day and almost became an instant Grado fanboy. I was even looking into the RS1/RS2!! This was from someone who disliked the SR-80 a LOT.

Sorry...off topic, but I had to comment.

(btw I'm tempted to go the cheap route, save $50 and get the 125i. Hope it's not closer to the SR-80 than the 225i.)

If you want a 225i sound, you better get a 225i. That headphone has a pretty specific sound.

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #115 of 750
Quote:
If you want a 225i sound, you better get a 225i. That headphone has a pretty specific sound.

but..but..everyone says Grados all sound the same!
biggrin.gif

The 325is sounded somewhat like the 225i. The 225i was addicting for days, but the 325is was way too heavy for me and just didn't have the addicting mids of the 225i.
It sat there not being used for weeks until I sold it.

The 325is did however sound MUCH better than the early pair I had maybe in 2007 or so. I think it was gold and much more treble happy.

The 125i has me very curious though.

The SR-80 had too much mid-bass and treble for me, but the 225i was perfect. It also sounded a lot less grainy.

BTW I read a review once from a professional audio magazine claiming the 225i was dead neutral and suitable for studio use. Huh?
confused_face_2.gif

It is amusing when old reviews also compare a Grado against an HD-580 or HD-600. What's the point...

Sorry, off topic..

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #116 of 750
Quote:
but..but..everyone says Grados all sound the same!
biggrin.gif

The 325is sounded somewhat like the 225i. The 225i was addicting for days, but the 325is was way too heavy for me and just didn't have the addicting mids of the 225i.
It sat there not being used for weeks until I sold it.

The 325is did however sound MUCH better than the early pair I had maybe in 2007 or so. I think it was gold and much more treble happy.

The 125i has me very curious though.

The SR-80 had too much mid-bass and treble for me, but the 225i was perfect. It also sounded a lot less grainy.

BTW I read a review once from a professional audio magazine claiming the 225i was dead neutral and suitable for studio use. Huh?
confused_face_2.gif

It is amusing when old reviews also compare a Grado against an HD-580 or HD-600. What's the point...

Sorry, off topic..

The few stock Grados that I've heard (SR-60, SR-80, PS-500...) don't sound the same (specially if you change the pads). But they do sound similar... Unless you mod the s**t out of them, or perhaps if we are talking about the Joe Grados. Another similar sounding set of cans to the typical John Grado line are the Koss PortaPro, KSC-75, KSC-35... But for quite a bit less $$$. I really like my KSC-75s, but I don't think they sound like my HD558s, the Paradox, a Stax 009 + Cavalli LL rig, or a Stax 007 + T2.

The Sennheisers that I've heard (HD650, HD598, HD558, HD518...) sound very different to my ears compared to the typical Grados (and similar to one another, not the same.) In my opinion these Senn headphones have more in common with the Paradox than with the Grados... but the Paradox are closed, and do bass better IMO... Which is why I brought them up to your attention given you seem to like some of the qualities that your HD-580 brings.

It is worth to point out that I don't think I've heard another closed headphone that sounds more neutral and smooth than the Paradox.

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #117 of 750
My Red Paradox just returned back home from major surgery (repair).  I will give them some head time.  Then I will compare them to the Mad Dogs and a few others..

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #119 of 750
Quote:
My Red Paradox just returned back home from major surgery (repair).  I will give them some head time.  Then I will compare them to the Mad Dogs and a few others..

Those are looking really nice.  Are those the HifiMAN pads that are still being used on your pair?  The look like they fit very well - and just as I remember them from when those headphones were the original black Fostex plastic color before you had the extra work done.  Very, very nice !!!

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #120 of 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questhate 

I agree with this. The Lambdas and Paradox are very similar, with the Lambdas leaning slightly toward brightness and the Paradox leaning slightly toward warmth. Both are neutral, smooth, fast, and detailed. 

The Lambdas excel in its effortless detail and airiness. There's something about Stax treble that just pours into your ear. 

The Paradox excels at its bass extension, which lends a nice weight and solidity to the music. It's a nice counterpoint to that "weightless" feeling of the Lambdas, which would be my minor complaint of them. 

Looking forward to your (and everyone else's) impressions.

Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Paradox pick up more details.. The magnums have a colored top end that makes them seem more detailed. Also, I think I was having issues with the pads causing me to not hear the bass correctly.

What were you driving the Lambdas with? I thought they were a bit more than slightly bright, but that might have been due to driving them with an O2. They were definitely more bright than my magnums.

Howdy!

Thought I'd chime in and say hello. I really liked those Lambda's Chris. If my HK wouldnt have blown that channel, they may have never left. What's up Marvin? I know this exchange between Chris and yourself was almost two weeks ago, but I havent been posting or reading much lately. Anyway I never found the Lambda's bright. The tone and timbre via the HK was perfect in my opinion. It synergized well with my 225's too. I used to listen to my HF2 a lot with it as well, but those did sound a bit dark through it. Back down to the Sparrow driving both the HF2 and the Fostex, which have the BMF mod now. They sound great and compliment my HF2 perfectly, they're flat like the Paradox. I dont know how much like the Paradox they sound, Wayne (wje) could probably shed a little more light there. Anyway, hope all is well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back