The Stax thread
Aug 9, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #106 of 2,694
So, you're implying that the driver unit is likely to fail?

I could buy the STAX 3030 system for $650 tomorrow, but that'd take a while to arrive due to location, shipping method, etc. But this system is in the same state as me, which is appealing, and I was under the impression that Lambda Pros are must sought after STAX headphones? Where exactly do they rank next to SR-303 and SR-404?

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #108 of 2,694
The headphones are definately not Pro Sigs. They look like the original (low bias) SR-Lambda to me, but it's always hard to tell the Lambda and Lambda Pro appart without a vertical shot.

The SRM-1 mk2 there has only low-bias (6 pin) connectors, so that would seem to confirm that it's an original Lambda.

If I was after this, I'd say the BIN price was too high to use, but would definately try out on winning it the old fashioned way. But don't worry, I'm not interested in this personally, so good luck if you want it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Hmm...do you think it'd be better to check out than paying $250 more for a STAX 3030 system?

The 303 is better than the SR-Lambda in most respects. That said, I wouldn't pay $650 for a 3030, either.

Quote:

The SRM-1 isn't too badly built a machine, so unlikely. When you buy old electronics it's always best to take them in for a checkup, though.

Quote:

and I was under the impression that Lambda Pros are must sought after STAX headphones? Where exactly do they rank next to SR-303 and SR-404?

The Lambda Pro can be more pleasing to listen to than a 404 yes, but it depends on the set of ears and the system it's being driven by. This probably ain't a Lambda Pro, though.

Considering Lambda Pros are that rare, I'd hardly call them the most sort after, though.

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #109 of 2,694
Ah, thanks for the clarification guys. When I first saw it I got all giddy because I thought it was supposed to be an incredible steal (Thinking that it was one of the rare/best STAX earspeakers that everybody always wants, and that it also comes with the same driver unit that Jahn uses, all for $400).

I guess I'll go with the 3030 system then
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT:

Carl - So, $650 shipped for a 3030 system isn't a good deal?

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #110 of 2,694
Quote:

I could buy the STAX 3030 system for $650 tomorrow, but that'd take a while to arrive due to location, shipping method, etc. But this system is in the same state as me, which is appealing, and I was under the impression that Lambda Pros are must sought after STAX headphones? Where exactly do they rank next to SR-303 and SR-404?

These aren't exactly the "lambda pro" you've been reading about - if these are 5-pinned, they are the lambda "signature", reputedly one of the brightest phones in the lambda line. The driver unit isn't particularly likely to fail though, its probably even more durable than most dynamic drivers.

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #111 of 2,694
Quote:

Carl - So, $650 shipped for a 3030 system isn't a good deal?

They're quite a bit cheaper in Japan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
These aren't exactly the "lambda pro" you've been reading about - if these are 5-pinned, they are the lambda "signature", reputedly one of the brightest phones in the lambda line. The driver unit isn't particularly likely to fail though, its probably even more durable than most dynamic drivers.

The Pro Sig looks a bit different, and says what it is on the arc assembly. The Lambda Pro looks like the SR-Lambda, but says "Professional" on the top of the driver housing.

The Sig ain't bad at all, it just takes some system matching. If anyone wants to split the two Pro Sigs that guy on Audiogon is selling (I only want one, of course), drop me a PM.

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #112 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
They're quite a bit cheaper in Japan.

Well, of course, but I'm unfortunately in the US and I couldn't find any STAX products on pricejapan.

Basically, here's the situation: I sold my dynamic headphones + amp to try out electrostats. I have $650 and I have no headphones to use to listen to music. Should I A. Buy the 3030 system on these boards for $650 shipped, B. Save the money up until Christmas and then have $1100 to spend, C. ???

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #113 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
If anyone wants to split the two Pro Sigs that guy on Audiogon is selling (I only want one, of course), drop me a PM.

Are you talking about this:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lan&1158935039

I may be interested, but aren't those just regular Sigs?

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #115 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn
Type Stax in their search function. Should show up.

I did and nothing came up.

I got a message from that eBay seller:

Quote:

I am unsure of the model, but the earspeakers have 6 pins.

EDIT: It seems that pricejapan only has the amps, which I'm not too crazy about getting cheap since there's someone on these forums that I could get one from.

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #117 of 2,694
Okay, so tell me about 303 vs. Lambda Signature. I believe that the latter is much brighter? Which is more detailed, has a bigger soundstage, and is more electrostatic-y?

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #118 of 2,694
Quote:

Well, of course, but I'm unfortunately in the US and I couldn't find any STAX products on pricejapan.

Basically, here's the situation: I sold my dynamic headphones + amp to try out electrostats. I have $650 and I have no headphones to use to listen to music. Should I A. Buy the 3030 system on these boards for $650 shipped, B. Save the money up until Christmas and then have $1100 to spend, C. ???

I believe you are supposed to email pricejapan for a price quote
tongue.gif
as long as the product exists in Japan, they'll get it for you.

If you're going to "try out" electrostats, scour ebay for deals
tongue.gif
even at their worst, *most* vintage stax phones aren't nearly as expensive as current production models. I hope you have an ok-ish stereo amp handy, though.

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #119 of 2,694
Quote:

Email Price Japan, they don't list everything they can get. The 3030 costs about $540 in Japan.

Quote:

Are you talking about this:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lan&1158935039

I may be interested, but aren't those just regular Sigs?

Yeah, the SR-Λ Signature. When we say Pro Sig, that is what we're reffering to.

Quote:

Okay, so tell me about 303 vs. Lambda Signature. I believe that the latter is much brighter? Which is more detailed, has a bigger soundstage, and is more electrostatic-y?

The Pro Sig and 404 are pretty similar in terms of brightness. The 303 is just a slightly inferior 404 (its cable has a lower bandwidth).

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #120 of 2,694
Well, currently, it seems that these Lambda Sigs are they cheapest way to go. Only problem is that I don't know too much about them and that it seems they are incredibly bright/harsh? I'm coming from SA5k's and didn't find them to be bright or harsh at all, but is the Lambda Sig a whole other beast when it comes to this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back