The Stax thread
Aug 3, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #77 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
How long do electrostatic drivers last?

Potentially very long (there are pairs over 40 years old still going strong), but it depends very much on the build quality. Bad design or manufacture can shorten the life considerably.

Also, electrets don't have an overly long life, and lose their charge eventually, although the rate of that varies from brand to brand (I've heard Sennheiser electrets being particularly bad in this regard).

Aug 4, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #78 of 2,694
All right, so I've been looking around at the transformer boxes; what's the difference between the low bias and "self-biasing"? I know you can power high bias 'phones off the low bias ones. Are the self-biasing boxes capable of biasing for both low and high bias, so I don't have to worry about pumping the volume higher?

Aug 4, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #79 of 2,694
Self-biased transformers run purely off the audio signal fed through them. They require no external power. The one I have is low bias, but I would assume they can come in either flavor.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #80 of 2,694
The only self biasing transformer with both low and high bias outputs is the SRD-7SB mk2. I'd recommend against a self biasing one give them choice, as the charge for the biasing circuit is taken from the audio signal, introducing more potential for sonic degradation.

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #83 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
The sennheiser unipolar 2000; according to sennheiser these were the first electret headphones ever made.

Bolocks the were. Audio Technica at least had been at it for longer than that. The Unipolar 2000 came out in 1976, if memory serves. What is true is that they were the first unipolar electret (thus the name), and are therefore the oldest electrets that sound particularly good.

I would like a Unipolar 2002, but I'm frightened the thing would die on me. Sennheiser are as much responsible for the bad reputation for reliability that electrets have as anyone else.

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #84 of 2,694
Edstrelow,

If I would make a VERY rough & empirical isolation rating, it would be like this

In Ear Monitor ("ear plug thingy"): 100 % isolation
Omega 2 : 0 % isolation
ATH-L3000: approx. 50- 70% isolation
4070: "best guess" approx. 15 -25 % isolation

Or in respect of sound radiation:
at a given hearing-level:
- you hear the Omega loud & clear up to a few meters distance,
- you hear the L3000 noticeable, but much lower
- the IEM you can't hear at all

the 4070 I don't own, but it's nearer to the Omega, than the L3000

Regards

Urs

[size=xx-small]PS. The only & singular reason, why I did buy the L3000 was, that I wanted the most optimal sound isolation, with best-possible sound (the very best sound I already enjoy with the Omega
wink.gif
; the 4070 did just NOT give enough isolation for my requirement; and I did not have a chance to audit any higher quality IEM)[/size]

Aug 4, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #85 of 2,694
Hi I am very interested in the Stax line myself - Just dying to try them!
Could someone give me a price check on the ES1 amp please? I would like to try this amp but i have never seen the price of it mentioned. thanks.

Love this thread by the way!

Aug 4, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #86 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by henryfonda53
Could someone give me a price check on the ES1 amp please? I would like to try this amp but i have never seen the price of it mentioned. thanks.

The base model is $4000, while the maxed out one go for $10800. There is a configuration around $6200 as well.

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #87 of 2,694
okay, so I'm officially in on this; got an SR-X mk. 3 from Fitz who lives practically right down the street. they're in great shape and I'm really digging the sound. I didn't expect to honestly, but they brought detail on a different level than other headphones I'm used to. It's not necessarily as or more detailed than the K1000, but it's like they bring out different kinds, if that make sense. They certainly don't lack impact, either, but then again I'm more than properly amping them. I'd really like to get my hands on some Lambdas, and try the local SR-007's on my transformer. If I can get a pro box, even better. color me neutral.

Aug 5, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #89 of 2,694
Well, I've been giving the HE60s a break for a week or so while I enjoyed the SRX, and coming back I've come to the conclusion that I cannot enjoy them through the HEV70 for much longer. So the time has come for me to get an adaptor made.

Anyone know someone with the parts to do it? Does Mikhail still make them?

Aug 5, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #90 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Potentially very long (there are pairs over 40 years old still going strong), but it depends very much on the build quality. Bad design or manufacture can shorten the life considerably.

Also, electrets don't have an overly long life, and lose their charge eventually, although the rate of that varies from brand to brand (I've heard Sennheiser electrets being particularly bad in this regard).

regarding life expectancy, what should cause failure with these designs? are the akgk340s elcectrets or 'stat hybrids? i haven't heard about failure issues with them, or have i missed something.

also, i could find the mcalister web site. does anyone have a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back