The Stax thread
Aug 5, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #92 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek
regarding life expectancy, what should cause failure with these designs? are the akgk340s elcectrets or 'stat hybrids? i haven't heard about failure issues with them, or have i missed something.

AKGs are dynamic/electret hybrids. Their drivers do go bad, but they aren't particularly bad for doing so like some other headphones are. I believe AKG still have a few electret drivers left, but they've run out of dynamic ones now.

Quote:

also, i could find the mcalister web site. does anyone have a link?

http://www.mcalisteraudio.com/

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #94 of 2,694
Going through some old eBay bookmarked auctions, I came across this one for a SB SRD-7mk2: http://cgi.ebay.com/STAX-SRD-7SB-Mk2...QQcmdZViewItem
Couldn't figure out why it went so cheaply, until I read this in the description:

[size=xx-small]IMPORTANT NOTE:
Although STAX have been offer the 5-pin PRO-bias option for years, this does not mean that recent STAX earspeakers with the 5-Pin PRO-bias connections should be used. This means that you should NOT use the SRD-7SB Mk2 adaptor with the modern 202, 303, 404 or Omega-2-earspeakers. The SRD-7SB adaptor was designed for use with the original Lambda range of earspeakers such as the Lambda Basic, Lambda Pro, Lambda Pro-signature and so on. The SRD-7SB drives the Sigmas beautifully.[/size]

Got to figure he shot himself in the foot, no?

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #95 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by rontokyo
Going through some old eBay bookmarked auctions, I came across this one for a SB SRD-7mk2: http://cgi.ebay.com/STAX-SRD-7SB-Mk2...QQcmdZViewItem
Couldn't figure out why it went so cheaply, until I read this in the description:

[size=xx-small]IMPORTANT NOTE:
Although STAX have been offer the 5-pin PRO-bias option for years, this does not mean that recent STAX earspeakers with the 5-Pin PRO-bias connections should be used. This means that you should NOT use the SRD-7SB Mk2 adaptor with the modern 202, 303, 404 or Omega-2-earspeakers. The SRD-7SB adaptor was designed for use with the original Lambda range of earspeakers such as the Lambda Basic, Lambda Pro, Lambda Pro-signature and so on. The SRD-7SB drives the Sigmas beautifully.[/size]

Got to figure he shot himself in the foot, no?

That's the ebay account of the Simple Stax guy, right?

Shooting yourself in the foot by admitting the truth is one thing, but shooting yourself in the foot by saying something that's in error is pretty sad.

There also never was an original Lambda Basic. The Lambda Spirit, and then Lambda Nova Basic came quite a bit latter.

Personally, I'd recommend going for a non-self biased transformer if you have the option. It's not like they're that rare.

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #96 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
That's the ebay account of the Simple Stax guy, right?

Shooting yourself in the foot by admitting the truth is one thing, but shooting yourself in the foot by saying something that's in error is pretty sad.

There also never was an original Lambda Basic. The Lambda Spirit, and then Lambda Nova Basic came quite a bit latter.

Personally, I'd recommend going for a non-self biased transformer if you have the option. It's not like they're that rare.

I hope simplystax are right about one thing, at least. (the SB versions being as good as the non-SB ones)

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #97 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
I hope simplystax are right about one thing, at least. (the SB versions being as good as the non-SB ones)

How can they? They have to tap the audio signal to use for bias generation. Whether it's audable is different, but given a sufficiently good amp you're bound to sooner or latter.

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #98 of 2,694
That unit was actually supplied by Stax with a Stax Lambda Nova Signature that I bought. As long as you don't try and drive the high bias units from a low bias output, all should be good. Methinks he did shoot himself in the foot (and some lucky buyer got a bargain).

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #99 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
I would like a Unipolar 2002, but I'm frightened the thing would die on me. Sennheiser are as much responsible for the bad reputation for reliability that electrets have as anyone else.

Problems with this early unit could go a long way toward explaining why this "electrets just up and die after a few years" rumor won't itself die. The Unipolar never made it to the US market for some reason.

Back in the early '80s I wondered why Sennheiser had never made a 'stat headphone. I figured, since they were well known for their RF condenser mics, they were still trying to figure out how to make an RF condenser headphone, ha ha.

Odd that they'd try to start out with an electret model.

Even so, unless arcing or at least ionization occurs, I'd think it would be hard to depolarize a proper electret in a standard electret 'phone, since no external voltage is ever directly applied to the diaphragm, which of course is the electret. It would be interesting to find out how electrets fail in this application. Or maybe they don't; maybe a protective circuit element actually takes the hit; I don't know. All I know is that the electrets enjoying my protection (mics as well as headphones) are all working perfectly well, and the eldest is 30 years old.. it's a mystery.. Oh, tiddly pom. As you were, then.
[goes off to absentmindedly shoot self in foot]

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #100 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
Problems with this early unit could go a long way toward explaining why this "electrets just up and die after a few years" stuff won't itself die. The Unipolar never made it to the US market for some reason.

Back in the early '80s I wondered why Sennheiser had never made a 'stat headphone. I figured, since they were well known for their RF condenser mics, they were still trying to figure out how to make an RF condenser headphone, ha ha.

Odd that they'd try to start out with an electret model.

Even so, unless arcing or at least ionization occurs, I'd think it would be hard to depolarize a proper electret in a standard electret 'phone, since no external voltage is ever directly applied to the diaphragm, which of course is the electret. It would be interesting to find out how electrets fail in this application. Or maybe they don't; maybe a protective circuit element actually takes the hit; I don't know. All I know is that the electrets enjoying my protection (mics as well as headphones) are all working perfectly well, and the eldest is 30 years old.. it's a mystery.. Oh, tiddly pom. As you were, then.
[goes off to absentmindedly shoot self in foot]

I don't know why the fail either, but I assume there are more ways for them to end up in the big headphone shop in the sky than simply having their diaphrams depolarise.

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #101 of 2,694
Could somebody please tell me which STAX headphones these are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stax-SRM-1-MK-2-...QQcmdZViewItem

I believe "SRM-1/MK2" is only the name of the amplifier as I've seen it in Jahn's rig. But what are the headphones and is it me or is this a crazy good deal ($400 for a good STAX amp (At least I'd think it's good if Jahn has been using it for so long) and STAX earspeakers)?

Thank you.

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #103 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Could somebody please tell me which STAX headphones these are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stax-SRM-1-MK-2-...QQcmdZViewItem

I believe "SRM-1/MK2" is only the name of the amplifier as I've seen it in Jahn's rig. But what are the headphones and is it me or is this a crazy good deal ($400 for a good STAX amp (At least I'd think it's good if Jahn has been using it for so long) and STAX earspeakers)?

Thank you.

It is a good deal, but not an amazing deal. I've seen packages like this sell for under $400 (in fact, I sold mine for about $350 if I recall correctly). I am not Staxpert, but I think this is the Lambda Signature headphone. It's a great combo, and worth trying out. Don't forget that there is always a risk involved in buying used electrostatic equipment.

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #104 of 2,694
Hmm...do you think it'd be better to check out than paying $250 more for a STAX 3030 system?

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #105 of 2,694
Hmm, that SRM-1/mk2 doesn't have a pro-bias output, and the serial number is a very old one (not a good thing); the headphones on the other hand sort of looks like the lambda pro signature. $400 is an OK deal, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back