The Stax Thread III
Jan 17, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #24,841 of 25,623
However, I think the joy of the LNS is that it stands really well on it's own. I have other headphones that I place above it in terms of which tier they fall in, but sometimes when I'm listening to them I'm wishing they did something different. The LNS is always satisfying even if it loses in a direct a/b. I often think about selling everything off and just being okay with a desktop setup as simple as the LNS/KGSShv mini.
Agreed, if I could only have one headphone it would probably be the LNS, or the original Lambda.

Either the LNS or the SR-X Mk3 Pro is definitely the best all-rounder in the whole lineup, shame I can't wear the SR-X Mk3/Pro for more than 30 minutes at a time without ear pain.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #24,842 of 25,623
Agreed, if I could only have one headphone it would probably be the LNS, or the original Lambda.

Either the LNS or the SR-X Mk3 Pro is definitely the best all-rounder in the whole lineup, shame I can't wear the SR-X Mk3/Pro for more than 30 minutes at a time without ear pain.
Ah yes - this is another great point. The LNS is super light (like all lambda) and my ears/head fit well with the unit. Sometimes that's all it takes to heighten enjoyment. The 007 mk1 can be a little sloppy at times.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #24,843 of 25,623
My first ever in the 80s - still a fav!!

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #24,844 of 25,623
So I'm enjoying my L500 mk2 but I've been very spoiled by my 007 and CRBNz these L500s need the blu tack mod in the worst way.

Thing is I'm not sure what brand to get, some people use blue, sone gray. Amazon has multiple brands.

Can someone specifically recommend a brand of blue tack to use for the Lamba series?

Jan 17, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #24,846 of 25,623
Is there a list anywhere (or does anyone know off the top of their head) which Stax models have a 1 micron diaphragm other than the Sig/Sigma Pro?
I believe the Lambda Signatures...same drivers as Sigma Pro if im not wrong...

Jan 17, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #24,847 of 25,623
I believe the Lambda Signatures...same drivers as Sigma Pro if im not wrong...
You are correct, it's the same driver. I would be really shocked if it's only the Lambda Sig and the Sigma Pro, but I can't think of any others from my own knowledge that are 1um.

From what I can tell:

-Pre-SR-X Mk2 models are all in excess of 2um (in fact I'm a bit curious how some of the 6um drivers sound, that's quite thick).
-The "big three" (at least that's what I call them) of the normal bias sets - Lambda, SR-X Mk3, and SR-5N - are all 2um, the NB Sigma is also 2um because it uses the Lambda drivers.
-SR-X Mk3 Pro, Pro Gamma, and Pro Lambda appear to be the first sets to go down to 1.5um.
-Then we have the Lambda Sig and Sigma Pro which are the known 1um.
-Stax stepped back from that with the Lambda Nova line, Basic is 2um, LNC/LNS are 1.5um.
-I think the x0x are all 1.5um.
-I think everything from x07 onwards is 1.35um as far as the Lambda are concerned.
-On the Omega side I think the 007 and 009 are both 1.35 and I'm pretty sure the X9000 is as well.

So the big question mark would be, what is the first Omega, if it's not 1um then it looks like the Sig and by extension Sigma Pro are the only 1um models Stax ever made.

Anyone please correct me if any of this info is wrong, it is kind of hard to find solid sources for these things.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #24,850 of 25,623
Jan 18, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #24,851 of 25,623
Yep, especially considering how simple it is built: 2x ECC83 + 2x ECC99 tubes...
indeed. in one case version, the price was acceptable. i don't understand the necessity of two units

Jan 18, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #24,852 of 25,623
Yes, just Lambda Sig and Sigma Pro are for sure 1 micron. Omega is apparently 1.5: https://www.inexxon.com/stax-übersicht-history/1990-2000-kopfhörer-headphones/sr-omega/
That’s interesting.
1705589506212.jpeg

Never seen anyone do that to their box before.

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #24,853 of 25,623
Membrane thickness is only one parameter. Material, tension, coating, size, stator, housing design all need to play together.
Orpheus 1 was 1 um thick, with one atom thick gold layer coating.
Orpheus 2 (HE1) was said to be thoroughly optimized, they found that 2.4 um thick diaphragm worked best - with platinum coating. But it's also driven in a peculiar way.
Stax stix with 1.35 um as the current optimum, it seems.
Phenomenon took a middle ground, first using around 2 um diaphragm, then around 1.3-1.5 um.
MrSpeakers Voce used 2.4 um, maybe taking after Sennheiser?

Anyway, I would not associate membrane thickness alone as a separately labeled characteristic to any headphone... the HE-1 slaps that in the face.
And I didn't find any sub-micron Hifimans sound good to my preferences. If anything, I tend to be cautious with overly thin membranes.

A side point... Stax certainly know what they are doing... but one could say there might be a preference, or just (cultural) bias to make oriental music sound best. The Orpheus seem to be tuned more to Western musical preferences. See also how Audeze, Meze Empyrean sound vs Hifiman, Stax etc.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #24,854 of 25,623
These are the impedances I have saved in a text doc if anyone is interested in these in conjunction with diaphragm thickness:

SR-5N/G 130k
SR-X Mk3 130k
Gamma 120k
Gamma Pro 140k

Sigma 122k
Sigma Pro 143k

Lambda, Lambda Pro 122k
Lambda Signature 129k
Nova Basic, Nova Classic 133k
Nova Signature 145k
202, 303 133k
404 145k
507 145k
L-series 145k

Omega, 009, 009S, X9000 145k
007 170k

I have no idea what the x07 impedances are outside of the 507, which is part of the reason I've been looking for a 207 that's either CIB or comes with manual.

It appears Stax has decided 1.35um/145k is the sweet spot as everything from the 507 onward (including 009 and X9000) have these specs. And the much higher impedance on the 007 vs. everything else is a good indication of why it's by far the hardest to drive.

At some point it would be cool if they tried to make a thicker diaphragm, lower impedance model like the original Lambda again.
Membrane thickness is only one parameter. Material, tension, coating, size, stator, housing design all need to play together.
Orpheus 1 was 1 um thick, with one atom thick gold layer coating.
Orpheus 2 (HE1) was said to be thoroughly optimized, they found that 2.4 um thick diaphragm worked best - with platinum coating. But it's also driven in a peculiar way.
Stax stix with 1.35 um as the current optimum, it seems.
Phenomenon took a middle ground, first using around 2 um diaphragm, then around 1.3-1.5 um.
MrSpeakers Voce used 2.4 um, maybe taking after Sennheiser?

Anyway, I would not associate membrane thickness alone as a separately labeled characteristic to any headphone... the HE-1 slaps that in the face.
And I didn't find any sub-micron Hifimans sound good to my preferences. If anything, I tend to be cautious with overly thin membranes.

A side point... Stax certainly know what they are doing... but one could say there might be a preference, or just (cultural) bias to make oriental music sound best. The Orpheus seem to be tuned more to Western musical preferences. See also how Audeze, Meze Empyrean sound vs Hifiman, Stax etc.
That is true, though we do know the thickness in and of itself has certain effects on the sound signature even notwithstanding other design decisions.

I agree re: the preference for Eastern vs Western music and sound signature preferences, I think many westerners do not realize that what they say is neutral is kind of like a basshead by other tastes :p lol

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #24,855 of 25,623
I have no idea what the x07 impedances are outside of the 507, which is part of the reason I've been looking for a 207 that's either CIB or comes with manual.
The 507 is really a different headphone than the 2, 3 and 4. While it is not an L-series in name it was the first to showcase what would be featured in the L-series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back