The Stax Thread III
Nov 6, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #22,996 of 25,523
1667734208137.png

So I took the plunge, thanks all for your advice....tried it out on BHSE at the previous owners house, was blown away, cant believe they are still lacking / not at their full potential...
Edit: after plugging in to Srm1s I'm slightly disappointed hahaha it's not the same - was previously doubtful that it would makes such a difference hahaha
Congrats! Yes… nothing like hearing it yourself. :)

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #22,997 of 25,523

So I took the plunge, thanks all for your advice....tried it out on BHSE at the previous owners house, was blown away, cant believe they are still lacking / not at their full potential...
Edit: after plugging in to Srm1s I'm slightly disappointed hahaha it's not the same - was previously doubtful that it would makes such a difference hahaha
Well quite honestly the 007 Mk 1 still sounds beautiful out of "just" a BHSE. The BHSE was in fact designed with the 007 in mind, because the 009 hadn't been released yet. We're just saying that the best solid-state amps in this price range are a little bit more optimal because they tend to be a bit brighter and have tighter bass, which complements the 007 Mk I's character quite well. But for sure, they sound great out of a BHSE! Wonderful headphones. Congrats!!

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #22,998 of 25,523
With all this discussion around the differences between the SR-007 MkI and MkII, I was wondering about the potential of parametric EQ in reducing or even eliminating the differences... so might it be possible to make a MkII sound like an early MkI by using EQ? Any experiences with this?

Nov 7, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #22,999 of 25,523
Yes, I have. I use ROON and its built in Convolver and have EQed both my 007 Mk1 + Mk2 using the ORATORY1990 convolver files for this. Both sound quite better, but still the Mk1 beats the Mk2 IMHO not just in the bass region (Mk1 is sealed, Mk2 is not).

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #23,000 of 25,523
@mulveling
Well quite honestly the 007 Mk 1 still sounds beautiful out of "just" a BHSE. The BHSE was in fact designed with the 007 in mind, because the 009 hadn't been released yet. We're just saying that the best solid-state amps in this price range are a little bit more optimal because they tend to be a bit brighter and have tighter bass, which complements the 007 Mk I's character quite well. But for sure, they sound great out of a BHSE! Wonderful headphones. Congrats!!

Thank you, makes sense. Ironically (and I know this is a bad comparison) vs SRM1, the BHSE gave not only tighter bass, but an overall tighter and more controlled presentation. Also highs and upper mids were clearer, and the background was blacker. Can only imagine how it'd be like on an appropriate solid state.

On SRM1, 007 seems like an upgrade vs L700, but not such a significant one. On BHSE it was amazing, higher resolution even though presentation is more laid back, deeper and more visceral bass + overall dynamics, and a more natural presentation as I feel L700 can be too in your face at times...

Would y'all agree? Understand this is subjective, but would be great to uderstand what y'all have experienced!

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #23,001 of 25,523
@mulveling

Thank you, makes sense. Ironically (and I know this is a bad comparison) vs SRM1, the BHSE gave not only tighter base, but an overall tighter and more controlled presentation. Also highs and upper mids were clearer, and the background was blacker. Can only imagine how it'd be like on an appropriate solid state.

On SRM1, 007 seems like an upgrade vs L700, but not such a significant one. On BHSE it was amazing, higher resolution even though presentation is more laid back, deeper and more visceral base + overall dynamics, and a more natural presentation as I feel L700 can be too in your face at times...

Would y'all agree? Understand this is subjective, but would be great to uderstand what y'all have experienced!

Yup, this is all to be expected. Again the SRM just doesn't power the 007 well at all. It's definitely much better on the BHSE, in all of the ways you stated.. especially with the bass. And you'll see similar improvements in those same categories when powered through something even better than the BHSE.

Nov 7, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #23,002 of 25,523
1667734208137.png

Lucky!!!

I've had a WTB post for a 007MK1 for months now and only a scammer reached out so far :frowning2:

Enjoy :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 16, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #23,005 of 25,523
Hello. I have an SRM-T1 that I would like to apply the CCS mod. I purchased the Audioxpress July 2017 issue that details the mod. I can follow it mostly, but some of the points are vague. Ideally, I would like to purchase the mod already assembled with heatsink, and install it myself. There is a nice guy in Germany named Dominik @Firschi who at one time was doing this. I contacted him and he stated that he can no longer do it because of the scarcity of certain parts. Does anyone know is there is anyone else who is selling a fully assembled mod for end user installation? If I can source the parts, I would graciously accept assistance from anyone who has done one of these mods as an alternative, if buying an assembled mod is not possible. Lastly I would buy a modded unit in 117V if there was one for sale. Thanks in advance!

Nov 16, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #23,007 of 25,523
To be precise, I paused selling CCS modules for now.

Keep in mind, this is not a beginner's mod.
Dominik,

Thanks for the clarification. I am in no hurry to do it. If you begin making them again in the near future I can wait. I realize this is an advanced mod that requires drilling, soldering, de-soldering at the component level with re-alignment. I am not a beginner as I have built a few DIY amps. I am well known on the Audio Note forum (Hoffman) for having performed various DAC, amp and pre-amp mods. I am interested in your module mainly because all the parts can be had in one place, and your price is very reasonable. Please let me know when you resume production.

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #23,008 of 25,523
Anyone knows what a 8/10 Stax 353X would go for? Mine has been sitting around and has barely been used in years, so I guess it’s time to let her go
Spritzer sells refurbished ones for about $600. I have seen them as low as $300 as well.

Nov 18, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #23,010 of 25,523
I've a good friend coming from Japan in a few weeks. What are the reliable online audio shops in Japan? not necessarally stax dealer (apologies for the thread borrowing) as Im more inclined on getting cables and other small items, but surely will look into the prices of Staxes as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back