The Stax Thread III
Nov 20, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #23,026 of 25,570
If anyone has an ifi iESL they'd like to sell... Please let me know.

Thanks so much.

Nov 21, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #23,027 of 25,570
Happy to hear! I paid 275 for all, for never used set

PS: closed they have less peaks in highs…
Thanks for all your tips and advice @KDS315 ! 🙏 I managed to clinch the SR-003 Mk2 at the auction. And the Stax distributor in Singapore has stock of the CES-A1. :)

Nov 21, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #23,028 of 25,570
Happy to hear! Enjoy!!

Nov 23, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #23,029 of 25,570
I've been away from the Stax world for over a decade and just rejoined with an X9000 running on an LTA Z10e and a D10/003 combo for travel. I love both setups and the X9000s are simply phenomenal but VERY critical of amps. I have a Mjolnir KGSSHV that is pretty unlistenable on them as it is just too forward for my tastes. I have an SRM-727 that while not nearly as resolving is more enjoyable overall so that should be a good backup amp.

The KGSSHV did a good job with my Audeze CRBN but after receiving the X9000, the CRBN are a bit pointless as they are completely outclassed and will be sold.

So I'm at a loss with what to do with the KGSSHV. Sell it or maybe pair with an SR-007 variant? Thoughts on which 007 or maybe a different idea (Lambda maybe but they are pretty forward) but I do like a more liquid presentation without sacrificing resolution. I really liked my 007MK2 paired with a modified SRM-717 back in the day but we are talking 12 years ago so I have no idea what I would think now that the bar has been raised so much higher.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #23,030 of 25,570
I really like the Lambda Nova Signature with the KGSSHV, plays in a more mellow style than other Lambdas (some say still a little shouty in the upper mids, I don't hear it with aftermarket amps), and I would use a Lambda as a complimentary headphone, some recordings are more palpable and enjoyable when brought closer to the listener, I find that these big Staxes tend to add a bit of diffusion to the music that's not necessarily there in the first place.
The SR-007 variants have a very specific, 'creamy' presentation that people tend or like or dislike. In some ways I prefer the presentation of SRM-727 over the KGSSHV or Carbon which add more bass, treble and staging (in case of the Carbon) but makes the midrange feel a bit recessed, so I would probably try to find a different amp if it was my main headphone or change the source, which also plays a significant part in the equation. The Nova Signature is a more consistent performer when varying systems compared to the SR-007, which can sound quite different but always has a strong footprint of its own.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #23,031 of 25,570
I've been away from the Stax world for over a decade and just rejoined with an X9000 running on an LTA Z10e and a D10/003 combo for travel. I love both setups and the X9000s are simply phenomenal but VERY critical of amps. I have a Mjolnir KGSSHV that is pretty unlistenable on them as it is just too forward for my tastes. I have an SRM-727 that while not nearly as resolving is more enjoyable overall so that should be a good backup amp.

The KGSSHV did a good job with my Audeze CRBN but after receiving the X9000, the CRBN are a bit pointless as they are completely outclassed and will be sold.

So I'm at a loss with what to do with the KGSSHV. Sell it or maybe pair with an SR-007 variant? Thoughts on which 007 or maybe a different idea (Lambda maybe but they are pretty forward) but I do like a more liquid presentation without sacrificing resolution. I really liked my 007MK2 paired with a modified SRM-717 back in the day but we are talking 12 years ago so I have no idea what I would think now that the bar has been raised so much higher.
I think the CRBN has a distinctive and different sound signature from the X9000. But it is pretty classic Audeze house sound. So, it depends on what you feel like at any given point in time. :)

Nov 25, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #23,032 of 25,570
Happy to hear! Enjoy!!

@KDS315 : thought I’d share the photos. It has arrived safely. All the original ear tips are intact. Just one question, is there any particular trick to removing the IEM from the headband? Thanks!

Listening to it off the Mjolnir Carbon right now. :)

I am suitably impressed! 🤗

A6EAC708-FA6D-4D82-9864-757D39BB35DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #23,033 of 25,570
@KDS315 : thought I’d share the photos. It has arrived safely. All the original ear tips are intact. Just one question, is there any particular trick to removing the IEM from the headband? Thanks!

Listening to it off the Mjolnir Carbon right now. :)

I am suitably impressed! 🤗
Not sure if it is exactly the same but take a look at this video (at about 3:50 minutes in) for the SR-002 MK2, I think they are at least similar??

If the link doesn't work this is the title of the video: "STAX-SR002 Mk.2 In-Ear Earspeakers Review: An Awkward Pleasure"

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #23,034 of 25,570
Not sure if it is exactly the same but take a look at this video (at about 3:50 minutes in) for the SR-002 MK2, I think they are at least similar??

If the link doesn't work this is the title of the video: "STAX-SR002 Mk.2 In-Ear Earspeakers Review: An Awkward Pleasure"

Thank you @bearFNF ! It's exactly the same. only difference is the cable. :)

Nov 25, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #23,035 of 25,570
I think the CRBN has a distinctive and different sound signature from the X9000. But it is pretty classic Audeze house sound. So, it depends on what you feel like at any given point in time. :)

Agreed, I would characterize the sound of the CRBN as very planner like which is an area that Audeze dominates with a healthy dose of the better qualities of a great electrostat.

Nov 25, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #23,036 of 25,570

The Mjolnir KGSShv (mini) I've heard were both quite bright. They matched best with the warm 007 - and probably would also do quite well with ES Lab ES1a. They were absolutely a NO GO with 009 unless you have iron-clad ears. Other KGSShv variants are different. There are at least a few other variants, each with a different sonic signature. I like the old 500V IXYS (onboard heatsinks) the best - close to neutral. The 450V Sanyo (offboard) is warmest by far, and thus became a popular pairing with 009. The amp you have is simply not a good match for your new headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #23,037 of 25,570
lfe_bhse_empire.jpg

We’re happy to announce that from now until December 3’rd HeadAmp is proud to offer an additional 2-years free servicing for any new STAX SR-X9000 purchase made through our website. This is in addition to the one-year manufacturer warranty, giving you a total of 3-years of service!

Last edited:
HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 25, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #23,038 of 25,570
The Mjolnir KGSShv (mini) I've heard were both quite bright. They matched best with the warm 007

The amp you have is simply not a good match for your new headphones.

That’s painfully obvious but doesn’t really matter as I never intended to use them together.

Thoughts on which 007 to pair with the KGSS and if it is a special enough combo to be worth the additional investment or call it a day and sell the KGSS which is also fine with me?

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #23,040 of 25,570

Thanks for the tip. It was easy. :)

DD9F3588-F89B-4C7E-9BB1-2C956276446F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back