The Stax Thread III
Mar 25, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #21,976 of 25,548
this setup works very well with my iPhone 7 as well through the micro usb in. A bigger / desktop DAC instead of the D10 is expected to have issues indeed, and the more expensive apple adaptor with the extra connection for charging would be required, as you'd get a "this device requires too much power" message on screen (tried also with an Iphone 12 Plus, 13, etc.)
I’m not getting any kind of error, just not acting like it’s recognizing the d-10 as a dac. I’ll try it this weekend with the pc see if the dac section is working right. As a line in amp it is working great.

Mar 26, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #21,977 of 25,548
Wow, the NB Sigma is not bueno with SRM1/MK2. Super hot on the treble running from a modern DAC. Hard to describe....brash, gritty? Maybe with a tube DAC but this doesn't match so well.

Or maybe this is how they're supposed to sound? Reminds me of the Lambda Pro - nice mids but so hot on the treble. :xf_eek:
Normal Bias Sigmas run from an SRM1 Mk2 are definitely not bright - they are actually too dull. That's the reason for the replacement of the drivers with an SR404 driver or Lambda Signature driver. That implant gives the Sigmas a more "normal" treble (level wise) and a bit more control over the bass.

Mar 27, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #21,978 of 25,548
I’ve always had amp/dacs like the idsd completely lock out the volume on the iPhone. The D-10 doesn’t do that. Is that normal, and is the dac working properly? Sound transmits fine tho seems best when the iPhone’s volume is at 100%. When the amp turns off, the iPhone volume changes back to the speaker defaults. , unlike when using line in. The idsd and the fiio Q3 are the only amp/dacs I’ve used as a dac. So kinda green on the subject

Mar 29, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #21,979 of 25,548
Normal Bias Sigmas run from an SRM1 Mk2 are definitely not bright - they are actually too dull. That's the reason for the replacement of the drivers with an SR404 driver or Lambda Signature driver. That implant gives the Sigmas a more "normal" treble (level wise) and a bit more control over the bass.
Ha, sounds like this is definitely not the way to go for me then. Yes, the midrange might be dull but there is an itch in the HF response that I also perceive with the old Lambdas. The newer ones also suffer from this (to my ears) but the overall quality of reproduction increases and so it's less obvious like with the older ones while the mid can be dull but the HF still hot.
Maybe the 007mk2 would've been a good bet? Do these also suffer from the Stax fart?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #21,980 of 25,548
Question for the future. Should dust somehow settle on the driver(the sides facing away from the ear), what would the safe way to clean and keep clean the stator? Or the pores? A gentle pc vacuum? I keep them in Stax headphone covers. The L-700 on a wood stand, the L-300 laying down inside the Stax cover until my other headphone stand arrives. I def want to keep them in top top shape for life.

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #21,981 of 25,548
Ha, sounds like this is definitely not the way to go for me then. Yes, the midrange might be dull but there is an itch in the HF response that I also perceive with the old Lambdas. The newer ones also suffer from this (to my ears) but the overall quality of reproduction increases and so it's less obvious like with the older ones while the mid can be dull but the HF still hot.
Maybe the 007mk2 would've been a good bet? Do these also suffer from the Stax fart?
I'm very impressed with the new to me 007s. Treble and mids are a bit underwhelming but a few tweaks in the eq of foobar in the right places does wonders. Not going to lie or misrepresent, I find the Normal Bias and Pro Bias of the Lambda line to be (for the most part) spot on. I do like a forward presentation. This direction of minor adjustment is where I took the 007s. Still very deep with bass and very linear as well. Probably the best I've heard or will ever hear. The upper mids and treble have some peaks and valleys but everything is there. Using eq on the 007s for me may be only placebo. Adjustments have been slight and based on frequency response curves of the model. Personal experience is much better than recommendation. As always, listen before you buy.

As for the "fart" don't push the headphones into your ears, I prefer letting the signal move the diaphragms. I haven't noticed it on the 7s and I'm not testing for it. I did it once with the 407s by accident, never again.

The question I've wanted to ask but haven't till now is what headphone were you listening to prior to finding the Stax line (Lambda) shrill? Source, media and settings play a part?

Edit: addition. There is one thing I like with the Lambdas that the 007s don't do and that's fit: light as a feather and comfortable. Not the the 007s don't fit or are uncomfortable, just better.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #21,982 of 25,548
I'm used to Beyerdynamic Amirons and HD600 series, the Senns being known for their rather dark sound signature. Also tried Hifiman Ananda BT's but these were ear bleeding for me...and I've had many many Staxes, LNB, LPS, 404, 407, have the Sigma.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #21,983 of 25,548
Request for help: I have an amp in the shop to convert 1 of the Pro Bias jacks to Normal Bias. My amp guy has never done it and is not finding any instructions online, and I've searched and come up pretty empty myself, including to the amp maker himself. Does anyone know of a link to detailed instructions for how to convert a Pro bias tap to a Normal bias one?

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #21,984 of 25,548
Request for help: I have an amp in the shop to convert 1 of the Pro Bias jacks to Normal Bias. My amp guy has never done it and is not finding any instructions online, and I've searched and come up pretty empty myself, including to the amp maker himself. Does anyone know of a link to detailed instructions for how to convert a Pro bias tap to a Normal bias one?
Here, that should do (from the SRM-T1 schematics)

Attachments

• stax_srm-t1 (Bias).jpg
    stax_srm-t1 (Bias).jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #21,986 of 25,548
Question for the future. Should dust somehow settle on the driver(the sides facing away from the ear), what would the safe way to clean and keep clean the stator? Or the pores? A gentle pc vacuum? I keep them in Stax headphone covers. The L-700 on a wood stand, the L-300 laying down inside the Stax cover until my other headphone stand arrives. I def want to keep them in top top shape for life.
I use a small pen type vacuum that are used to clean keyboards.

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #21,988 of 25,548
Mar 29, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #21,989 of 25,548
fill the center pin with epoxy and avoid plugging in a nb by accident. Looks like the normal bias 7 o'clock and center share.
Too bad Stax doesn't remake these, certainly is a market... maybe just bad economics.

besides the woo wee and one made by Spritzer aka Mjölnirs SRD 7. I've got some nice 2 channel stuff in storage that would be pretty nice I bet. Nice to Kevin still comes around to help out. Cheers

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #21,990 of 25,548
fill the center pin with epoxy and avoid plugging in a nb by accident. Looks like the normal bias 7 o'clock and center share.
Too bad Stax doesn't remake these, certainly is a market... maybe just bad economics.

besides the woo wee and one made by Spritzer aka Mjölnirs SRD 7. I've got some nice 2 channel stuff in storage that would be pretty nice I bet. Nice to Kevin still comes around to help out. Cheers
for the topic we were talking about he needs a NB socket...
Looks like etsy has a 5 pin pro socket also.

Oh, and I had HeadAmp put a Normal bias on my BHSE, so he might have some, too.
My WooWee is in storage, it has both sockets, also.

If you really got desperate and couldn't find it you COULD get one out of an old SRD7/SB (got one of those, also in storage). Huh, am I a hoarder? Nah, couldn't be, just a pack rat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back