The Stax Thread III
Feb 18, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #19,922 of 25,560
How can I distinguish the SR-007 "mk2.5" and "mk2.9"? It seems that can't be done by serial nor by date (since some are years old when sold by your dealer) as far as I've been told

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #19,924 of 25,560
Friends, in the process of updating my audio library in Hi-Res, another question arose concerning the timbre balance when using one or another DAC.

My system:
First (sold) DAC: RME ADI-2 FS
Second (current) DAC: Chord Hugo 2
Driver: Stax SRM-600 (CCS mod)
Interconnect cable: AudioQuest Sydney (silver)
Headphones: SR-009BK, SR-007MKII

As it turns out earlier, there are a lot of bad records, which makes my ears bleed. It also turns out that even Hi-Res recordings are done even worse than classic CD`s. In particular, "Earthbound" from "Soul" (OST, 2020):

cover.jpg

https://mega.nz/file/4ngwyazJ#Ay9jyeuGqd56LEZdW27bnQWKIGtQI6Hxw92HcB7Q_AE

on my system between 0:22 and 0:28 I hear horrible distortion due to overload - like sand getting into my headphones. Analysis in Adobe Audition showed that these "grains of sand" are at ~7.2kHz.

Replacing the interconnect cable with any other did not solve the problem - I did not hear any change in the high frequencies.

All the DAC`s I previously used were Delta-Sigma.

Rereading this thread I found out that quite a lot of people notice bad coupling between Delta-Sigma DAC`s and Stax headphones: due to high resolution of Stax music from Delta-Sigma becomes "screaming" and even "squealing", high frequencies go off scale.

The more experienced guys already use, for example, multibit YGGDRASIL DAC.

In this regard, the question arose: would replacing DAC from Delta-Sigma with multibit PCM1704 or R2R lead to a good result? Will the high frequencies become more calm? Will the "overload" disappear? I am considering buying a Norma DA1 DAC or Pagoda DAC (Burr-Brown PCM1704) or Soekris DAC (R2R).

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #19,926 of 25,560
All 007's since last 3 years are mk2.9.

Which works when it’s imported from Japan directly only, right? No other way to distinguish?

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #19,927 of 25,560
Friends, in the process of updating my audio library in Hi-Res, another question arose concerning the timbre balance when using one or another DAC.

My system:

As it turns out earlier, there are a lot of bad records, which makes my ears bleed. It also turns out that even Hi-Res recordings are done even worse than classic CD`s. In particular, "Earthbound" from "Soul" (OST, 2020):

cover.jpg

on my system between 0:22 and 0:28 I hear horrible distortion due to overload - like sand getting into my headphones. Analysis in Adobe Audition showed that these "grains of sand" are at ~7.2kHz.

Replacing the interconnect cable with any other did not solve the problem - I did not hear any change in the high frequencies.

Rereading this thread I found out that quite a lot of people notice bad coupling between Delta-Sigma DAC`s and Stax headphones: due to high resolution of Stax music from Delta-Sigma becomes "screaming" and even "squealing", high frequencies go off scale.

In this regard, the question arose: would replacing DAC from Delta-Sigma with multibit PCM1704 or R2R lead to a good result? Will the high frequencies become more calm? Will the "overload" disappear? I am considering buying a Norma DA1 DAC or Pagoda DAC (Burr-Brown PCM1704) or Soekris DAC (R2R).
I hear it. It's not a problem with your gear or a lack of power. It's in the music itself. It's just a poorly created track. Trying to buy a dac to mellow out or smooth over bad music isn't a good idea. Your hardware should be as good as possible and if the music has flaws like this then that is beyond your control. It's a shame because Disney soundtracks used to be so well recorded.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #19,928 of 25,560
Furthermore, the resolution of a track has nothing to do with the recording and mastering quality. A well done cd will spank a high-res file any day of the week. Resolution doesn't really matter all that much for sound quality.

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #19,929 of 25,560
I agree to a point. However a well recorded track will sound better (usually) in say 24/96 as opposed to 16/44. If it is true hi-rez and not simply upconverted. And the rest of your chain is up to the task. ie resolving enough. If this difference is enough to justify the cost is up to you. Of course most of us are here because we are looking for the last 2-3%.

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #19,930 of 25,560

My system:

cover.jpg

Indeed CD red-book it’s still the king in digital music, hi-res music is very hyped thing, I’m still waiting to listening a hi-res player to beat the CD.

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #19,931 of 25,560
All 007's since last 3 years are mk2.9.
Will you kindly share how will I be able to know if a 007A is 3 years old or older? I might be interest on finding a pair of second hand mk2.9 and see how it compare with my mk1 but have no idea how to distinguish a 007MK2.9 and a normal MK2

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #19,932 of 25,560
Indeed CD red-book it’s still the king in digital music, hi-res music is very hyped thing, I’m still waiting to listening a hi-res player to beat the CD.
i'm curious. what players and high rez files are you using to make this determination?

respecting that listening is a subjective process, so ranking digital formats can be a matter of taste or even musical choices, or even what your sonic reference might be. i would not presume to tell you what you should like.

my perspective on this digital format question is that i prefer the music best in it's native format. and almost nothing is actually recorded to redbook 16/44. redbook is a consumer format. it all starts out as a higher resolution. if you can access this original file then you have the best version; the native one. the down-sample to redbook will never quite measure up. and then there is how your player handles processing. is it 'bit perfect' where the dac has the horsepower and low noise to fully process any format in it's native bit depth and resolution?

what i would agree with is that native redbook recordings sound best in redbook. now find one. good luck. i know of a few, and some do sound stellar. but not nearly on par with native higher rez. if you hear a grand piano, violin, or string quartet in native redbook, then native 24/192 or native 24/352 it's pretty obvious which format allows for the decays and overtones, micro-dynamics, tonal richness, timbral textures, the space and ambience. not close at all. if your player is up to it.

just my subjective opinion of course.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #19,933 of 25,560
i'm curious. what players and high rez files are you using to make this determination?

respecting that listening is a subjective process, so ranking digital formats can be a matter of taste or even musical choices, or even what your sonic reference might be. i would not presume to tell you what you should like.

my perspective on this digital format question is that i prefer the music best in it's native format. and almost nothing is actually recorded to redbook 16/44. redbook is a consumer format. it all starts out as a higher resolution. if you can access this original file then you have the best version; the native one. the down-sample to redbook will never quite measure up. and then there is how your player handles processing. is it 'bit perfect' where the dac has the horsepower and low noise to fully process any format in it's native bit depth and resolution?

what i would agree with is that native redbook recordings sound best in redbook. now find one. good luck. i know of a few, and some do sound stellar. but not nearly on par with native higher rez. if you hear a grand piano, violin, or string quartet in native redbook, then native 24/192 or native 24/352 it's pretty obvious which format allows for the decays and overtones, micro-dynamics, tonal richness, timbral textures, the space and ambience. not close at all. if your player is up to it.

just my subjective opinion of course.
Nothing special just some high-end Player/transport/DAC from DCS/Esoteric/Wadia/Nagra/etc... and for now the Nagra HD DAC X is my favorite and for streams/servers some like Inuuos Stament/Auralic/Aurender/etc... and my favorite almost as good as a CD the Taiko SGM Extreme.

8A5E6E3C-6C62-49C5-A3FE-775352649C35.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #19,934 of 25,560
Nothing special just some high-end Player/transport/DAC from DCS/Esoteric/Wadia/Nagra/etc... and for now the Nagra HD DAC X is my favorite and for streams/servers some like Inuuos Stament/Auralic/Aurender/etc... and my favorite almost as good as a CD the Taiko SGM Extreme.
very nice kit you have there. i like the Extreme too. my Extreme has the TAS music management software being developed by Taiko. it's now on the 'Beta' release.

do you have a comment on my point of the native resolution being best. i'm also a big fan of redbook, and listen to it all the time. it's how the music is presented to us most. so from that perspective it's king of access to music. but king of performance? not how i hear it when the native file is ownable.

can you mention a recording where the redbook/CD version actually sounds better than the higher resolution native file? and the player used in that case; is it 'bit perfect'? or is it up-sampling everything?

personally i have a problem with a dac that converts 100% of the files to dsd 256. my experience is that i strongly prefer native 24/352 PCM to the converted dsd 256 files. OTOH i do really enjoy native dsd 256 files (very few and far between). but no doubt it's a beautiful sounding dac. at that level of dacs it's choosing flavors, degrees of wonderful.

and btw; i did have two versions of the previous Nagra HD dac (not the X) with the separate power supply in my system three years ago a few months apart. liked them both, the later version more.

i assume Andreas Koch (Playback Designs) still designs the dac for the Nagra. i know Andreas, he has stayed in my home. a genius.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #19,935 of 25,560
Question for those of you that have been in the STAX game for awhile. So far I've only tied Pro bias earspeakers (which are great) Are there any normal bias earspeakers that stand the test of time? Do they offer anything different in terms of sound signature or is it just an older technology that has been superceded by a better one?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back