The Stax Thread III
Feb 14, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #19,906 of 25,487
Feb 14, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #19,907 of 25,487
Very true lol. And honestly, they are great compliments to each other.
Is that really the case? I've never heard either, so I don't have an opinion either way - but all my readings have indicated that people gravitate to one or the other, and feel like the one they chose is great for them and the other one has a bad sound sig. Are there many (any) people here that have both and use them complementarily to each other?

Feb 14, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #19,908 of 25,487
Is that really the case? I've never heard either, so I don't have an opinion either way - but all my readings have indicated that people gravitate to one or the other, and feel like the one they chose is great for them and the other one has a bad sound sig. Are there many (any) people here that have both and use them complementarily to each other?

Yea that's one perspective some have, and I get it. They are very different, so I think some will love or hate either--many have just one or the other. But if you enjoy a vast amount of genres and aren't a single headphone type of person, yea they're great compliments. To my ears the 007 is quite a bit outclassed by the 009 overall, but every time I put the 007 back on I'm reminded of just how good they are.

Feb 15, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #19,909 of 25,487
I need some help regarding stax amps.

Considering i need a normal amp/dac with preamp functions for speakers and i also need an estat amp for estats. When i now plug in the amp/dac with the preamps out into the estat amp doesn't that sound worse than a line out signal from a normal dac?

Feb 15, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #19,910 of 25,487
I need some help regarding stax amps.

Considering i need a normal amp/dac with preamp functions for speakers and i also need an estat amp for estats. When i now plug in the amp/dac with the preamps out into the estat amp doesn't that sound worse than a line out signal from a normal dac?
Any additional component in a chain will always remove some level of transparency but with electrostatic HPs you don’t have an alternative and frankly it remains to be seen whether you would really even hear the difference.

Consider that HPs in general (and electrostatic HPs in particular) are so revealing and free of room acoustic influences that you would need extraordinarily good speakers and room preparation to match your HPs.

Couldn’t you connect the DAC directly into your electrostatic HP amp directly when you listen to headphones? Some have multiple outputs to allow this.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #19,911 of 25,487
Any additional component in a chain will always remove some level of transparency but with electrostatic HPs you don’t have an alternative and frankly it remains to be seen whether you would really even hear the difference.

Consider that HPs in general (and electrostatic HPs in particular) are so revealing and free of room acoustic influences that you would need extraordinarily good speakers and room preparation to match your HPs.
But why don't i have an alternative? I can use a normal dac and connect xlr outputs to headphone amp and rca outputs to stax amp for example. Or not?

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #19,912 of 25,487
But why don't i have an alternative? I can use a normal dac and connect xlr outputs to headphone amp and rca outputs to stax amp for example. Or not?
You don’t have an alternative in that you must use a dedicated amp for the headphones.

As per my edited post you can connect separate outputs from the DAC to each different transducer/component (providing you can turn off the other amp you aren’t using).

How many outputs does your DAC have?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #19,913 of 25,487

I am not sure I understand. I have a PS Audio DirectStream that I run balanced into my RSA A-10 Thunderbolt II. This amp has a switch that lets me use the A-10 as a preamplifier or an electrostatic headphone amplifier. I can also run the DirectStream single ended into my RSA Apache for dynamic headphones or I can use the balanced or single ended record outs from the A-10 directly to my Apache. I don't notice any loss of sound quality on the Apache on the dynamic headphones nor any degradation when listening to the Stax or listening to my 2 channel.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #19,914 of 25,487
I am not sure I understand. I have a PS Audio DirectStream that I run balanced into my RSA A-10 Thunderbolt II. This amp has a switch that lets me use the A-10 as a preamplifier or an electrostatic headphone amplifier. I can also run the DirectStream single ended into my RSA Apache for dynamic headphones or I can use the balanced or single ended record outs from the A-10 directly to my Apache. I don't notice any loss of sound quality on the Apache on the dynamic headphones nor any degradation when listening to the Stax or listening to my 2 channel.
I am a bit confused as well. if the question is whether the electrostatic amplifier between the actual DAC and HPs themselves will influence the sound then yes, it will, the same as adding any component into a chain will rob the sound of some level of transparency. The question is a) given that electrostatic HPs absolutely require the amp what choice does he have in the matter and b) will he even hear this difference (considering he has nothing to compare it to).

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #19,916 of 25,487
Has everyone tried the transformer and 007/009 combo? What do I lose out on vs a bhse etc?
Well, it depends on which speaker amp you choose. If you get a decent one you don't lose out on much of anything other than the unique tonality of the bhse with various el34s. Some people say that transformer units sound less detailed to them than dedicated estat systems but I sure can't hear much of a difference. You're definitely getting all of the power and control of the bhse from a speaker amp with an energizer.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #19,917 of 25,487
Stax cable are balanced so theoretically in order to bring out its full potential you will need to connect your source using balance XLR and most stax amp are balance internally as well

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #19,918 of 25,487
Yea that's one perspective some have, and I get it. They are very different, so I think some will love or hate either--many have just one or the other. But if you enjoy a vast amount of genres and aren't a single headphone type of person, yea they're great compliments. To my ears the 007 is quite a bit outclassed by the 009 overall, but every time I put the 007 back on I'm reminded of just how good they are.
For me the only problem with 009 is its picky with tracks which is badly master and the 007 are more tonally suited for modern songs, however the 009 is surely a better headphone.

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #19,919 of 25,487
Hi all I am just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a replacement bolt that holds the Case holder to the headband sadly my case holder broke on my l500 and when I tried to unscrew it, it stripped the head of the bolt. I have bought a replacement case holder but without the bolt ill have to improvise and I would much rather not have to replace the whole headband

Users who are viewing this thread

Back