The Stax Thread III
Feb 23, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #19,951 of 25,472
I ran this way when I had the 353x and it worked fine. I couldn't tell any difference either. I didn't notice any difference in volume however through the 353x passthrough. So maybe your hearing is better or your just wondering if it is there. :jecklinsmile:
I doubt my hearing is better (not at my age) so quite probably just expectation bias at play. Thanks for your feedback!

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #19,952 of 25,472
Does anyone have any experience changing the power cable to the amplifier? I decided to swap my generic €5 cable for a supra lo-rad and the changes have been quite dramatic.

Firstly the extremely low level hum I mentioned a couple of months ago has disappeared completely (the power cable necessarily runs close to the audio interconnects so spritzer’s suggestion it was caused by this has now been confirmed).

Secondly, after the first few hours where the sound actually sounded worse (over bright and missing low frequencies) it has now improved noticeably compared to its previous best. The frequency spectrum is back to what it was but high frequencies are slightly more present (without sounding over bright) and the sound is even clearer than before.

Wasn’t expecting all that from a power cable.

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #19,953 of 25,472
Does anyone have any experience changing the power cable to the amplifier? I decided to swap my generic €5 cable for a supra lo-rad and the changes have been quite dramatic.

Firstly the extremely low level hum I mentioned a couple of months ago has disappeared completely (the power cable necessarily runs close to the audio interconnects so spritzer’s suggestion it was caused by this has now been confirmed).

Secondly, after the first few hours where the sound actually sounded worse (over bright and missing low frequencies) it has now improved noticeably compared to its previous best. The frequency spectrum is back to what it was but high frequencies are slightly more present (without sounding over bright) and the sound is even clearer than before.

Depends on the amp. Some are more susceptible to cable changes than others. My Grounded Grid does react to changes and I’m using a Shunyata at present.

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #19,954 of 25,472

I do, I uses Furutech Flux / Cardas Clear and Acoustic Harmony Power cable for my headphone setup and it sure sound different to the original one, especially the original stax 727 cable which came with the 727 are horrible.

Feb 24, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #19,955 of 25,472

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #19,956 of 25,472
can someone tell me, how I can recognize a 007 MK2 and a MK2.5?

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #19,957 of 25,472
Got the MK2 here now.
The first impression is disturbing.
3 rotating elements.

1. Housing outside with cable
2. Inside, with a protruding "rod"
3. Ear pads

How the 007 MK2 should that be adjusted ...?!

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #19,958 of 25,472
Got the MK2 here now.
The first impression is disturbing.
3 rotating elements.

1. Housing outside with cable
2. Inside, with a protruding "rod"
3. Ear pads

How the 007 MK2 should that be adjusted ...?!
They are specifically designed so you can rotate the ear pads (including the lifting “rod”) for the best seal against your head and can also adjust the cable direction completely independently from each other. Nothing disturbing about it. Don’t you have instructions for them explaining this?

Most people i have read about (including myself) have the thicker part of the pads backward and downwards (more or less) in order to have the best seal. I adjust the outer part so that the cables face slightly forward so as not to interfere with my shoulders.

But you should play around until you find whatever suits you best.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #19,961 of 25,472
Not sure if this was known before, but Stax announced today that SRM-007tA and SRM-006tS has been discontinued.

Would be nice if Stax announced some new products, too.
The new Omega which they are developing right now would be welcome.

that sucks looks like STAX jumping on the super expensive amps tip now maybe 353 and 727 are next on the chopping block since they have the 700S/T

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #19,962 of 25,472
Feb 27, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #19,963 of 25,472
I am just waiting to receive my new SR009S which I plan on using with my old Stax SRM-T1W which at the time was reckoned to be a really good amp.
Does anyone know how that stacks up with todays Amps?.
I am looking at the BHSE which from what I have read lately should be a perfect match for the 009S, gorgeous looking but a wow price and no chance of comparing my SRM-T1W with it as not a stock item where I live.

Thanks all for your input

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #19,964 of 25,472
I am just waiting to receive my new SR009S which I plan on using with my old Stax SRM-T1W which at the time was reckoned to be a really good amp.
Does anyone know how that stacks up with todays Amps?.
I am looking at the BHSE which from what I have read lately should be a perfect match for the 009S, gorgeous looking but a wow price and no chance of comparing my SRM-T1W with it as not a stock item where I live.

Thanks all for your input

IMHO, such expensive equipment MUST be listened to before you buy it.

Otherwise, to me, the BHSE, KGSSHV, 3ES signatures are tonally different and certainly superior in fact to any current Stax driver.

How strong are the differences? Much depends on YOUR HEARING. For example, for me it is enough to own not the most powerful SRM-600: for me it covers 80-85% of musicality and I consider the difference with BHSE not essential. But I'm not an audiophile, I'm just a music lover. Whether the 15% improvement is worth 6000 euros is a question that can be decided after listening.

I wouldn't be too hasty and go to a hi-end show / store / friends / head-fiers for auditions. Which is already an adventure itself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back