The Stax Thread III
Oct 31, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #16,546 of 25,541
I didn't hear my version of the story on headfi. I remember his ID as F51010 , he is (was) an active contributor in the local stax communities in China, pertty sure they are not the same person as I heard the story in 2018. washing the dust cover surely is a silly idea as water will retain inside the driver. But washing the diaphragm alone kind of make sense to me given that the environment is not too dusty.

Oct 31, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #16,547 of 25,541
I didn't hear my version of the story on headfi. I remember his ID as F51010 , he is (was) an active contributor in the local stax communities in China, pertty sure they are not the same person as I heard the story in 2018. washing the dust cover surely is a silly idea as water will retain inside the driver. But washing the diaphragm alone kind of make sense to me given that the environment is not too dusty.
nooooooo, you don't want to wash the diaphragm either, as it will damage or remove the anti-static coating. Same reason you don't want to expose them to excess humidity

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #16,548 of 25,541
That was confirmed to be a dust screen, wasn’t it ? In fact, watering out the diaphragm is a horrible idea as the ES-Particles May be washed away with it ? I believe @chinsettawong mentioned that too

I can never imagine people are actually doing that. They think the diaphragm as a china plate or something? Why don't they try ethanol as well? LOL.

Nov 1, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #16,553 of 25,541
Either will work with any pro bus bias headphone. I use the copper once in my setup and am happy. I made the inquiry to some extremely knowledgeable yet notoriously grump a stax gurus who said that spending the additional money on the silver plated one is pointless.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #16,556 of 25,541
Thank you, sir. Is there such a thing as a non-grumpy Stax guru? A rare breed, I think.

It is good, so that clueless people knows to step back. The majority of time, clueless people are ignorant with super high Ego. So, once their Ego is touched, they will back out, which is why they are clueless. The wiser people usually put their Ego aside, and keep heading on the right directions, the knowledge that they aim to achieve.

Being grumpy is a good way to collectively direct wise people to Stax :wink:

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #16,557 of 25,541
When you use cold water the solubility of the coating in water is low. With proper drying there should be no issue, Just like how people wash the pcb board of hifi equipments.
Dude...you are comparing a PCB to a Stax Diaphragm ?...:face_palm:

Seriously...What the Fun ?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #16,558 of 25,541
Either will work with any pro bus bias headphone. I use the copper once in my setup and am happy. I made the inquiry to some extremely knowledgeable yet notoriously grump a stax gurus who said that spending the additional money on the silver plated one is pointless.
I guess using silver coated cable will only introduce excess treble to the sound. I sometimes wonder will 009 sound sweeter with the copper cable from 007.

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #16,559 of 25,541
Thank you, sir. Is there such a thing as a non-grumpy Stax guru? A rare breed, I think.
I know, right!? That's why Head-Case is such a scary place...

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #16,560 of 25,541
I'd appreciate any feedback on the Stax extension cables. Other than one being silver-coated copper, is one superior to the other? Will either one work on a SR-007mk2/ SR-009S?

Cheaper one: https://www.hifiheadphones.ca/stax-sre-750-16ft-extension-cable/
Silver-coated, more expensive one: https://www.hifiheadphones.ca/stax-sre-950s-16ft-extension-cable/
40% of the capacitance lays within the cable on Stax headphones. The higher the capacitance, the more you lose into the cable...let alone with extension. Check this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slew_rate
Slew Rate may be seen as the ability to stick to signal variations. The higher the volume (as well as frequency and capacitance), the more you need power from your amp.
But it's theoretical, you'll have to hit deafening levels, be able to hear high frequencies like a teenager and listen to music with lots of square waves to notice differences between with and without extension cable :D

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back