The Stax Thread III
Mar 4, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #14,476 of 25,505
You have some things mixed up with the L300 Limited 80th... L300 with L700 like (if not indeed actual L700) stators, with pads unknown (based on shown photos L500, based on distributor word L300, based on STAX info different from either), and sounds VERY similar to L700 from those who have heard it. Basically it appears you are getting ~90+% of an L700 for ~1/2 the price...

dislayImages2.jpg

staxl700-prod.jpg

for $80 more dollars i'd rather take the actuall l700 anyday

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #14,477 of 25,505
At $800 I'd be tempted to take the L700 over the L300L as well, but I've yet to see one offered under $900. The nice thing about the L300L is that it will most likely not loose any value, most likely uptick in value as the years go on while the L700 has lost value (which makes it a great bargin to pick up after a few years). For me the L300L makes sense over an L700 - it's a special limited production anniversary edition which is close enough to an L700 to be very desireable (and at a lower attainable cost brand new as well versus L700 used.) A used L700 was my end goal, but the introduction of the L300L shifted my goal to it instead.

$800 is an EXTREMELY rare deal for the L700...take it!

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #14,479 of 25,505
well l300le headband is the same as l300 headband which is very very bad and does not seal as l500/l700 headband,

Mar 5, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #14,480 of 25,505
OK, a decision has been made. Subject to some minor practicalities, I will be ordering one of the new Mjolnir KGSSHV ‘Mini’-type amps for my newly acquired 007mk1s. Sure, I haven’t heard a KGSSHV of any type, so it’s a bit of a leap in the dark, but I’ve read too many people saying so many great things about the combo, and it (now) falls within the amount I’m prepared to put into this hobby.

Just have to decide how to pay and whether to have it sent to me or to use it as an excuse for a short break in Iceland! The latter is obviously going to be much more expensive, but would save me postage, VAT and import duties, which will cover return flights for two (more or less). Maybe...

Mar 5, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #14,481 of 25,505
OK, a decision has been made. Subject to some minor practicalities, I will be ordering one of the new Mjolnir KGSSHV ‘Mini’-type amps for my newly acquired 007mk1s. Sure, I haven’t heard a KGSSHV of any type, so it’s a bit of a leap in the dark, but I’ve read too many people saying so many great things about the combo, and it (now) falls within the amount I’m prepared to put into this hobby.

Just have to decide how to pay and whether to have it sent to me or to use it as an excuse for a short break in Iceland! The latter is obviously going to be much more expensive, but would save me postage, VAT and import duties, which will cover return flights for two (more or less). Maybe...

IC on $2500 carbons built by me?

Mar 5, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #14,482 of 25,505
It’s tempting and a kind offer, but - and please don’t be offended - there’s additional value to me in selecting a builder with an established reputation and who is known to stand behind his offerings. I’m not suggesting you don’t, just that for a purchase of this size I’m inclined to ‘play it safe’. That being said, do feel free to send on some details via PM as I’m not saying no either, I just would want to see a few examples of existing builds and maybe read a testimonial as well.

I may be overthinking these things, but I worry that the differences between a KGSSHV and a Carbon may be smaller than the magnitude of performance differences between a well-designed and built Carbon and a mediocre Carbon. Again, not at all implying that your build would be mediocre - just that it’s a risk I’d seek to avoid. But if you’re an established builder that I simply haven’t heard of, do say.

Mar 5, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #14,483 of 25,505
You should be able to hear significant differences with the KGSSHV. Once upon a time, I used to use a pair of 007mk2 with a 006tA, then after moving to the KGSSHV, sound and texture was much more improved, with a certain sparkle to it, and pronounced/controlled bass that the 006tA was not able to make apparent.

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #14,485 of 25,505
I just recieved unknown builders KGSSHV Carbon. Wow just wow! Lol
its sound Bold Rich Organic NO Harshness! No need to EQ at all anymore!
I just noticed wasted last 3 years for crappy class D Stax amps...LOL!

Congrats!
Any comments on listening experience between 009 and 007mk1?

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #14,487 of 25,505

Thanks! I have not try 007mk1 yet. i will try them later..
just i am surpreised my 009 doesnt sound any harshness! surprise surprise!!!!
KG rules!!!!!

Now, do you know why I got so pissed off when people keep saying 009 lacks off bass, and is too harsh , too bright ?

I still try my best to keep spreading the Stax magic as much as I can though :D

Welcome to real Stax !

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #14,490 of 25,505

Super !
My L-700 are in the post...should arrive today !!...which would be the recommended Amps - either STAX or 3rd party ?

What would the new Mjolnir KGSSHV ‘Mini’-type amps be like for the L-700 ? Which is the exact model & cost ? (link to their page) Unfortunately I will not have the opportunity of listening to any KGSSHV of any type down where I live, so any purchase will be a bit of a leap in the dark ...but with your help I can do it !!

Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back