The Stax Thread III
Mar 6, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #14,506 of 25,578
I plan on it, I am waiting until they have the form that the Gadget will take sorted out. They have mentioned possibly doing it as an upgrade that integrates it into current dacs in addition to a stand alone unit. If I can get it built into my yggy I will save a shelf space for either another amp or possibly a turn table.

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #14,508 of 25,578
I have never seen or read such beautiful and accurate wordings in a review for 009 anywhere. I will share this link here together with my own opinions.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/stax-sr-009-electrostatic-earspeaker-playback-54/

**Quote**. During my time with the SR-009, I had the privilege of powering the headphones with three different world-class electrostatic headphones amps: the Woo Audio WES ($5000 - $6000 plus, depending on configuration), the Kevin Gilmore-designed Head Amp Blue Hawaii SE ($5000), and a pre-production prototype of the upcoming Cavalli Audio Liquid Lightning (projected price, $4250). As I listened through the three amps, I was struck by the fact that the apparent “core sound” of the SR-009 changed in distinctive ways every time an amp switch was made. Each of amps offered a compelling, though distinctive take on “state of the art” sound, and what floored me was the almost shocking extent to which the Stax headphone took on the sonic personality of each of the amps (almost as if it became a whole new headphone every time it was fed by a different amp). If ever an audio product were a true sonic “chameleon,” the SR-009 is the one.

**My opinion** Yes, this is exactly what I found from my Journey with 009. In my case, the KG Carbon, Grounded Grid, or T2. Every amplifier will effect the SR-009 in a different way, and distinctively so. Especially the KG T2, it will give you the experience of “impossible”! I say this because you will take BHSE or Carbon or GG to be the best to the performances that the 009 can and have to offer (IMO, Carbon and GG offers different sound signatures but on the same league of performances, and this was when I thought that the 009 is performing at it best, and beyond this point, there can only be alternated signatures instead of improvements), but pair it with a KG T2 and once again, you will hear Distinctively Improvements yet again on the 009.

**Quote**The only caveat here, if there is a caveat, is that the SR-009, for obvious reasons, can only sound as good as the amp that drives it

**My Opinion**Yes. This is exactly what I found too ! People can be skeptical, but you need to be open minded to seek it out, the opportunity to hear the 009 out of different top of the tier amplifiers and witness it yourself !

**Quote**The eerie thing is experiencing how rich, full, complete, and lavishly detailed the SR-009 can make two instruments sound, even when playing intricate material simultaneously. No other headphone I know of can match the SR-009 is this respect.

**My Opinion** Not only the 009 can do this to 2 different instruments simultaneously but Multiples in tracks that have it. Now, this is only the story and the performances that the 009 can tell out of those 3 amps the article author was able to gather. The KG T2 will Distinctively improves the spaces, the spartial presentations and positioning of each individual instruments in 3D dimensions that you can easily pick apart. This exotic spartial positioning and staging is what differentiate the KG T2 against the Carbon or the GG In the while of keeping all of the Pros of Rich, full, complete, lavishly details from them. Not only that, both of the signatures of the Carbon and GG will be combined together, the speed of the carbon, the Sweet tonality of the GG, and the vastly gigantic sound stage from the T2.

**My Opinion**Those are some of the keys components that I totally agree with the article, and there is 0 points given that I disagree throughout the article itself. You can read on and find out more about the 009 Stax.

**My Opinion**You may be one that is afraid and or being put off by the myth of “Stax has no bass, or 009 is bright/harsh”. I can tell you right here, and now, that neither of those are true, but beware of this FACT to have a good amplifier to properly drive the 009, your pocket may not have the capability to handle it! So, if anything, you should ask yourself, whether that you can properly afford the 009, or you can not, and not how the 009 can perform. Very fair and square considerations

**My Opinion** So what are the Cons of the KG T2 ? It is hard to find, it may Still be commissioned ATM, but expensive and take a while to wait ? Aside from that, it is running “HOT !! Very HOT!! After 2-3 hours listening, and 8 expensive tubes are too hard to Swallow”. Then again, consider yourself very blessed and capable to have the KG T2 in your place whether you are financial capable, or Technically DIY capable, or both.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #14,509 of 25,578
I have never seen or read such beautiful and accurate wordings in a review for 009 anywhere. I will share this link here together with my own opinions.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/stax-sr-009-electrostatic-earspeaker-playback-54/

**Quote**. During my time with the SR-009, I had the privilege of powering the headphones with three different world-class electrostatic headphones amps: the Woo Audio WES ($5000 - $6000 plus, depending on configuration), the Kevin Gilmore-designed Head Amp Blue Hawaii SE ($5000), and a pre-production prototype of the upcoming Cavalli Audio Liquid Lightning (projected price, $4250). As I listened through the three amps, I was struck by the fact that the apparent “core sound” of the SR-009 changed in distinctive ways every time an amp switch was made. Each of amps offered a compelling, though distinctive take on “state of the art” sound, and what floored me was the almost shocking extent to which the Stax headphone took on the sonic personality of each of the amps (almost as if it became a whole new headphone every time it was fed by a different amp). If ever an audio product were a true sonic “chameleon,” the SR-009 is the one.

**My opinion** Yes, this is exactly what I found from my Journey with 009. In my case, the KG Carbon, Grounded Grid, or T2. Every amplifier will effect the SR-009 in a different way, and distinctively so. Especially the KG T2, it will give you the experience of “impossible”! I say this because you will take BHSE or Carbon or GG to be the best to the performances that the 009 can and have to offer (IMO, Carbon and GG offers different sound signatures but on the same league of performances, and this was when I thought that the 009 is performing at it best, and beyond this point, there can only be alternated signatures instead of improvements), but pair it with a KG T2 and once again, you will hear Distinctively Improvements yet again on the 009.

**Quote**The only caveat here, if there is a caveat, is that the SR-009, for obvious reasons, can only sound as good as the amp that drives it

**My Opinion**Yes. This is exactly what I found too ! People can be skeptical, but you need to be open minded to seek it out, the opportunity to hear the 009 out of different top of the tier amplifiers and witness it yourself !

**Quote**The eerie thing is experiencing how rich, full, complete, and lavishly detailed the SR-009 can make two instruments sound, even when playing intricate material simultaneously. No other headphone I know of can match the SR-009 is this respect.

**My Opinion** Not only the 009 can do this to 2 different instruments simultaneously but Multiples in tracks that have it. Now, this is only the story and the performances that the 009 can tell out of those 3 amps the article author was able to gather. The KG T2 will Distinctively improves the spaces, the spartial presentations and positioning of each individual instruments in 3D dimensions that you can easily pick apart. This exotic spartial positioning and staging is what differentiate the KG T2 against the Carbon or the GG In the while of keeping all of the Pros of Rich, full, complete, lavishly details from them. Not only that, both of the signatures of the Carbon and GG will be combined together, the speed of the carbon, the Sweet tonality of the GG, and the vastly gigantic sound stage from the T2.

**My Opinion**Those are some of the keys components that I totally agree with the article, and there is 0 points given that I disagree throughout the article itself. You can read on and find out more about the 009 Stax.

**My Opinion**You may be one that is afraid and or being put off by the myth of “Stax has no bass, or 009 is bright/harsh”. I can tell you right here, and now, that neither of those are true, but beware of this FACT to have a good amplifier to properly drive the 009, your pocket may not have the capability to handle it! So, if anything, you should ask yourself, whether that you can properly afford the 009, or you can not, and not how the 009 can perform. Very fair and square considerations

**My Opinion** So what are the Cons of the KG T2 ? It is hard to find, it may Still be commissioned ATM, but expensive and take a while to wait ? Aside from that, it is running “HOT !! Very HOT!! After 2-3 hours listening, and 8 expensive tubes are too hard to Swallow”. Then again, consider yourself very blessed and capable to have the KG T2 in your place whether you are financial capable, or Technically DIY capable, or both.

Energizer's are not the only route. Give the 009 great record players or reels and you will see a substantial improvement as well. Even more so than energizer's but that is my own experience.

Thing is that is what kind of ruins the 009 for me as I like mulveling a few pages back prefer speakers with great record players and reels and after filling up my audio stand with 2 channel gear I barely have room for a Octave v2 amp let alone a bhse or T2. If there was a way to get a bhse or T2 in a really tiny sized amp I'd go for it. Maybe mjolnir kgss classic is the first step.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #14,511 of 25,578
Forgive me for being unfamiliar with this amp. Is it Mjolnir Audio Blue Hawaii?
I couldn't find it on the Mjolnir's website. Is it a special commission?

He is Stax Mafia member, and he can work on any DIY versions of any Stax amplifiers. All you need to do is to have your pocket ready and shoot him an email to get the ball rolling

Mar 7, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #14,512 of 25,578
He is Stax Mafia member, and he can work on any DIY versions of any Stax amplifiers. All you need to do is to have your pocket ready and shoot him an email to get the ball rolling

Thanks ! Sorry who is "Stax Mafia member, and he can work on any DIY versions of any Stax amplifiers." Name/mail/head-fi to contact ?
Much appreciated.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #14,516 of 25,578
The mjolnir BHSE I have was not a special request. I was surprised to see it there when I was looking through the page the other week. I though spritzer had little interest in building more versions of the BHSE due to this being an older design and the many projects he has going, so when I saw the mini BHSE I pulled the trigger.

Maybe he would take on a special order if you are a personal friend, it really piqued his interest or the offer was too over the top to say no but from my conversations with him he does not like to commit to things like that.

There are other builders out there who will take commissions just research the stax, diy and amp threads here and the other place.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #14,517 of 25,578
I am just curious, because this is the first time I see it.
Well, I guess you’re lucky that you can get such a rare build.

Oh, if you don’t mind can we see more pictures of this amp?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #14,518 of 25,578
I would have to pull it out of my cabinet. Which is a bit of a process. I have to take my headphones off of the hangers and remove the tubes to have a clear reach around back to unplug it's its inputs and loop outs. And then really fun part is putting or it back, the tube clocks make it hard to squeeze my head back there to check everything is plugged in right. I have to plug everything in by feel as I have no slack in my lines and my cabinet backs up to 2" off a wall.

I'm not really up for that, spritzer has done a mini BHSE in the past.. At least one other time. I will pm you a link to the location of the pics for that build later today. Mine is basically the same.

I do have internal pics of mine, but again he has posted that in the other place on the previous mini bhse build.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #14,519 of 25,578
I would have to pull it out of my cabinet. Which is a bit of a process. I have to take my headphones off of the hangers and remove the tubes to have a clear reach around back to unplug it's its inputs and loop outs. And then really fun part is putting or it back, the tube clocks make it hard to squeeze my head back there to check everything is plugged in right. I have to plug everything in by feel as I have no slack in my lines and my cabinet backs up to 2" off a wall.

I'm not really up for that, spritzer has done a mini BHSE in the past.. At least one other time. I will pm you a link to the location of the pics for that build later today. Mine is basically the same.

I do have internal pics of mine, but again he has posted that in the other place on the previous mini bhse build.

Share with us. I think more people will be interested in seeing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back