The Stax Thread III
Mar 8, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #14,536 of 25,660
Called the stax guys he told me that L300limited and L700 are structured differently (different driver) but are tuned to produce the same sound signature , so they should sound similar to most people and different if you have good ears lol. And he told me stax headphone take up to 10 or 20 years to burn in to their full potential lol , Also he advice me that I should never allow direct sun (40degree) rapid changes in temperatures. And they pick any noises in the chain so CD>AMP>headphone should sound best.
LOL, does not sound like a legitimate "Stax guy". 10-20 years burn-in?! And yeah noise is gonna be more apparent on Stax, but then so too is the actual signal (hence the signal to noise ratio bugaboo for us analog lovers).
Who knows about the 300LE vs L700 drivers at this point.

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #14,537 of 25,660
http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/20467010453/SortID=4771136/ found this link where people are talking that is takes ages to burn in their headphones!

700時間;
48時間周期の音質の上下が落ち着いてきました。
エージングはそろそろ完了として良いようです。

大勢の方のレポートによると、鳴らせば鳴らすほど良い音になって行くとのことです。
今後は音楽を聴きながら、音質の向上を楽しみたいと思います。

then after 5 days

追加です。
800時間を超えて、音質の周期的上下が完全に安定しました。
それだけでなく、更なる音質の飛躍がありました。

より解像度が増して、更に細かい音まで聴けるようになりました。
それは低音域にまで及び、心地よく弾み質感も向上しています。
そして一番変化したのは、ノリです。聴いていて楽しいです。

素晴らしい表現力。
脳内ウルトラハッピー状態になりました。

he is saying at 800 burn in time and still getting improvement O.O

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #14,539 of 25,660
I would say that at some point the change per hour attributed to burn in becomes negligible so you can consider them fully burned in at that point. The point differs per headphone but it’s like not on the order of years for the vast majority of the headphones out there IMO.

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #14,541 of 25,660
These arrived today from Japan, $627 shipped to the USA.

So far so good, soundstage is a little more up front the the Airbow's sitting on the stand in the first pic.

Nice! Can I ask where you got them for $627 shipped?

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #14,543 of 25,660
@Rossliew I am not sure how long the BHSE was up for sale for, but I had been checking mjolnir regularly since I was getting impatient about completing a top stats setup. When I saw the BHSE posted I didn't hesitate. I immediately demanded spritzer take my money! Although when I first opened the shipping box I thought he might have duped me for some cod.

The nixie clocks have been great, at night they make me smile every time I walk by my office. I run one for my local time, Pacific and other for my companies main office time, Eastern because I'm dumb and easily confused.

I think cables can make a difference, at least interconnects and digital cables. Power as long as you have the right AWG for your length and demand I am not so sure.. But my plan is to make some nice silver plated copper xlr interconnects in a 6 wire braid configuration when I am not feeling lazy.

If anyone has a recommendation for some nice xlr connectors? It would be appreciated. FYI for me making the custom cables is as much, if not more about them being pretty vs sound, that way I am never disappointed.

Hahaha I love his cod boxes! Keeping one just for the laughs :)

I saw the BHSE when it first went up and managed to get a couple questions to Birgir. Hesitating to pull the trigger as he mentioned that manual biasing may be required. Have you had to do any biasing?

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #14,544 of 25,660
Yup, I never heard anything that could be attributed to burn-in with electrostatics. However earpad wear will definitely affect the sound, not to mention the fact that Stax have a habit of tweaking things and not telling anybody about it, so your shiny new pair might actually sound different from my crusty old one, for reasons other than burn-in.

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #14,545 of 25,660
Nice! Can I ask where you got them for $627 shipped?

Yahoo Japan. When I pre-paid the exchange rate was $595 USD and $32 for shipping.

They have a small mid-bass bump and roll off quickly under 80Hz. Basically like any other Lambda with a broken earpad seal, which I don't mind. I've heard people say the L700 also behaves this way, due to a vented earpad baffle plate.

All in all, they have a nice alternative sound signature to my Airbow SC-1 and Lamda Pro's. The soundstage is a little more up front and in your face than the Airbow earspeaker.

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #14,547 of 25,660
It could be the pad change that affect it. Though I found that wearing glasses or without it, there is no changes in sound performances. Only reduced Stax farts. My amplifier and tubes has a more burn-in progress than the headphones 009.

Honestly, I think Stax guys was half joking and half serious about 10-20 years burn-in. They may meant that it would take the market 10-20 years to appreciate Stax headphones, which is pretty much true.

There is a clip on how to bias the BHSE.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #14,548 of 25,660
Yahoo Japan. When I pre-paid the exchange rate was $595 USD and $32 for shipping.

They have a small mid-bass bump and roll off quickly under 80Hz. Basically like any other Lambda with a broken earpad seal, which I don't mind. I've heard people say the L700 also behaves this way, due to a vented earpad baffle plate.

All in all, they have a nice alternative sound signature to my Airbow SC-1 and Lamda Pro's. The soundstage is a little more up front and in your face than the Airbow earspeaker.

Zenmarket.jp is the way I roll nowadays. For a very small fee someone with thousands of trader feedback will bid for you. I am very convinced it saved me a ton on my C-2301. Bidding was hot and heavy and as soon as I bid all bidding stopped...for several days. Had I bid with my own trader feedback of 7 I'm mighty sure there would have been several bids after mine but with the gentleman from zenmarket at 4,897 trader feedback bidding everyone left. The fee was like $5.

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #14,549 of 25,660
I had a 404LE and paired it with a T1 driver and it was amazing. I really regret selling that combo.

I guess what turned me off on the L-300LE is that it is not the L-700LE. Stax kind of did make the flagship lambda the Limited Edition version in the previous releases. I would rather get a used flagship limited edition version for a bit less than a new entry level limited edition version. I guess a L-700LE would be to close in price to the 007. I dunno at least for my perspective I was expecting a L-700LE for around $1500 to compete with the HD800.

Mar 9, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #14,550 of 25,660
Zenmarket.jp is the way I roll nowadays. For a very small fee someone with thousands of trader feedback will bid for you. I am very convinced it saved me a ton on my C-2301. Bidding was hot and heavy and as soon as I bid all bidding stopped...for several days. Had I bid with my own trader feedback of 7 I'm mighty sure there would have been several bids after mine but with the gentleman from zenmarket at 4,897 trader feedback bidding everyone left. The fee was like $5.

I use Buyee (proxy bidding and shipping service) or my friend in Japan to make purchases there for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back