The Stax Thread III
Mar 7, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #14,521 of 25,663
Well this is as good as it will get, as I am not going to pull the amp out. I also want to say that Spritzer did a really good job with thermal management on this amp. The boards are mounted to the top panel and only the top front part of the heat sinks gets warm, as in warm not hot, and that is after running for 4 hour straight inside my cabinet. My cabinet has 4" of clearance from the sides to the heat sinks, 2.5" to the back steel mesh panel, 3" from the steel mesh to the wall and 16" from the top of the tubes to the top of the cabinet. When playing music I have the door to the cabinet open, but given how cool it runs it might be possible to run it with the door closed.

About physical properties of the amp, it is quite heavy and has a very solid feel when you pic it up. Don't let the description of a mini BHSE fool you into thinking it is a small amp. In person it is very substantial. The dimensions are 17.75"w X 12.25"d X 3.75"h *height is just the chassis not the feet.

20180307_133205.jpg
20180307_133253.jpg
20180307_133356.jpg
20180305_193108.jpg
20180305_150215.jpg

Mar 8, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #14,523 of 25,663
Ah, thank you for entertaining our request for the pictures SeaWo|f..
It is impressive.
I always love to see how a builder deal with space limitations and components placement in device that they build.

Does anyone has similar shots from different electrostatic amps? Mind to share them with us here?

Oh, your audio cabinet reminds me of a butsudan altar. You should invite us when you have an enshrinement ceremony for the amp.. :ksc75smile:

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #14,526 of 25,663
Well this is as good as it will get, as I am not going to pull the amp out. I also want to say that Spritzer did a really good job with thermal management on this amp. The boards are mounted to the top panel and only the top front part of the heat sinks gets warm, as in warm not hot, and that is after running for 4 hour straight inside my cabinet. My cabinet has 4" of clearance from the sides to the heat sinks, 2.5" to the back steel mesh panel, 3" from the steel mesh to the wall and 16" from the top of the tubes to the top of the cabinet. When playing music I have the door to the cabinet open, but given how cool it runs it might be possible to run it with the door closed.

About physical properties of the amp, it is quite heavy and has a very solid feel when you pic it up. Don't let the description of a mini BHSE fool you into thinking it is a small amp. In person it is very substantial. The dimensions are 17.75"w X 12.25"d X 3.75"h *height is just the chassis not the feet.

Ahh i was one step slower in getting that >.<

Could you share some sound impressions? Believe those are stock tubes that came with the amp?

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #14,527 of 25,663
Mar 8, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #14,529 of 25,663
Mar 8, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #14,531 of 25,663
@Rossliew I am not sure how long the BHSE was up for sale for, but I had been checking mjolnir regularly since I was getting impatient about completing a top stats setup. When I saw the BHSE posted I didn't hesitate. I immediately demanded spritzer take my money! Although when I first opened the shipping box I thought he might have duped me for some cod.

20180305_144837.jpg

The nixie clocks have been great, at night they make me smile every time I walk by my office. I run one for my local time, Pacific and other for my companies main office time, Eastern because I'm dumb and easily confused.

I think cables can make a difference, at least interconnects and digital cables. Power as long as you have the right AWG for your length and demand I am not so sure.. But my plan is to make some nice silver plated copper xlr interconnects in a 6 wire braid configuration when I am not feeling lazy.

If anyone has a recommendation for some nice xlr connectors? It would be appreciated. FYI for me making the custom cables is as much, if not more about them being pretty vs sound, that way I am never disappointed.

Mar 8, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #14,532 of 25,663
These arrived today from Japan, $627 shipped to the USA.

So far so good, soundstage is a little more up front the the Airbow's sitting on the stand in the first pic.

Nice. It is hard to go wrong with the limited edition Lambda's. The only Lambda's imo. that best a ESP950. Just got a 404le that I'm going to pair with a Octave v2 energizer. I had the sr-sc-11 you have pictured. Honestly allot the 007mk1 imo. just not as comfy and not quite the build quality. The Airbow and 404le are great compliments to the hd800. So is the 007mk1. It just requires a bigger beefier energizer which I do not have the room for anymore.

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #14,534 of 25,663
Nice to see a pair of the 80th anniversary Stax.
I decided to dip my toes into the Stax water for the first time and have the 80th anniversary set (headphone and energizer) on order.
How are they and how do they compare to the 300/500/700?

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #14,535 of 25,663
Called the stax guys he told me that L300limited and L700 are structured differently (different driver) ( later confirmed they are the same driver sorry )but are tuned to produce the same sound signature , so they should sound similar to most people and different if you have good ears lol. And he told me stax headphone take up to 10 or 20 years to burn in to their full potential lol , Also he advice me that I should never allow direct sun (40degree) rapid changes in temperatures. And they pick any noises in the chain so CD>AMP>headphone should sound best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back