The Stax Thread III
Oct 5, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #10,201 of 25,623
BHSE is self-bias and the power tubes on it should last a long time.  I remember Birgir  mentioned that the good old Mullard tube should last for over 10,000 hours.  Yes, I deeply miss my BHSE but I do have the T2 so I am not missing out on anything but the aesthetic of the amp.

Thanks for the clarification..a few of my friends have advised me to just go for the T2 instead of a BHSE - is this a justified call?

It's not manual bias...you're only adjusting the balance of each push/pull pair, and the DC offset in each channel. And I've now tried 2 quads of 1960s Holland plus 1 quad of 1970s Mullard; all 3 are very very close to each other in adjustment settings. After PLENTY of warmup, all 4 measurements end up close enough to 0 (i.e. close enough to not matter), that I can actually roll these quads and not need to readjust. I definitely wouldn't recommend rolling an unknown quad without checking, though. And rolling daily isn't a great idea either (stress on sockets, tube pins/base, and boards).

Apparently the BHSE runs EL34 well under their power ratings, so a good tube should last a long while.

I see...i stand corrected then. Have checked out Justin's video on checking the bias..looks pretty straightforward but an extra step nonetheless when swapping tubes. Is the stock tube set really meh sounding?

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #10,202 of 25,623
Thanks for the clarification..a few of my friends have advised me to just go for the T2 instead of a BHSE - is this a justified call?
I see...i stand corrected then. Have checked out Justin's video on checking the bias..looks pretty straightforward but an extra step nonetheless when swapping tubes. Is the stock tube set really meh sounding?

The problem is most manufacturers will only install commercially available tubes, ones they can buy today. Nos are not commercially available.

Oct 5, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #10,203 of 25,623

If you can snag a nice DIY T2 then go for it, and never look back. As amazing as the BHSE is, nobody will dispute the DIY T2's superiority.

I haven't tried any new-production tubes in the BHSE (if I didn't make that clear before). I tried 4 kinds of the Russian variants (3 New-Sensor types, plus the Winged-C) when tube rolling a couple of speaker amps years ago -- and based on that experience, I have absolutely no desire to try new-production tubes in my BHSE.

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #10,205 of 25,623
If you can snag a nice DIY T2 then go for it, and never look back. As amazing as the BHSE is, nobody will dispute the DIY T2's superiority.

I haven't tried any new-production tubes in the BHSE (if I didn't make that clear before). I tried 4 kinds of the Russian variants (3 New-Sensor types, plus the Winged-C) when tube rolling a couple of speaker amps years ago -- and based on that experience, I have absolutely no desire to try new-production tubes in my BHSE.

Hardly anyone will build it and I suppose for a tropical climate like Malaysia, it can get too hot? Think I shall start with a BHSE first then move from there..thanks for the advice !

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #10,206 of 25,623
  Power tubes don't last very long. 

Actually that depends entirely on how they are run.  Most tube power amps run them relatively hard, say at 80% of maximum, so they may last 2000 hours, perhaps less..  In the BHSE they are run at about 10 watts, which is only 40% of the rated 25 watts max, so they will last a long, long time, likely 10,000 hr for NOS tubes.

The BH is somewhat unusual in that the tube operating conditions are set by the current loads on the output plates.  The same is true of my SRX Plus design.  The bias sets the plates to zero volts with respect to ground.  This is different from most tube power amps where the bias control sets the standing current through the tubes.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #10,208 of 25,623
  So I just got my SRM-717 and with 007 Mk1, it sounds pretty good. My HE-6 on tube speaker amp kicks better in the bass.

It can get a good bit better actually with the KGSSHV.

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #10,210 of 25,623
I can understand now why some people still prefer planars. I'm still keeping my HE-6. With the Audio Research tube speaker amp, its great with piano. But the Stax is nice. Like Purk said, maybe all I need now is just a regular KGSSHV.

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #10,211 of 25,623
  I can understand now why some people still prefer planars. I'm still keeping my HE-6. With the Audio Research tube speaker amp, its great with piano. But the Stax is nice. Like Purk said, maybe all I need now is just a regular KGSSHV.

Yes, you will need something better to wake the SR-007 up.  You can get by with SR009+SRM-717 to a degree but the SR007 needs something much more powerful.  The 717 is relatively dark amplifier and a little soft around edge making it not an ideal pairing  with the SR007...try 500V  KGSSHV or even a  KGST.

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #10,212 of 25,623
  Yes, you will need something better to wake the SR-007 up.  You can get by with SR009+SRM-717 to a degree but the SR007 needs something much more powerful.  The 717 is relatively dark amplifier and a little soft around edge making it not an ideal pairing  with the SR007...try 500V  KGSSHV or even a  KGST.

That's what I'm thinking as well, amps make a big difference.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #10,213 of 25,623

As a previous owner of a 727ii and current owner of a 500v mjolnir full size I have to agree. The 727ii was a better match with the sr-009's and the kgsshv with the 007's imo.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #10,215 of 25,623
Good point.  I need to make a small correction - according to an old KG post, the BHSE runs the EL34 at 18 mA and 400 volts, which means it dissipates 7.2 watts rather than 10.  That is less than 30% of max dissipation, so tube life should be very, very good indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back