The Stax Thread III
Oct 7, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #10,232 of 25,592
  What date is the late MK2 you have? I ask as my MK2 is a Silver 007A 2015, which according to Birgir was about the time he thought the Black MK2s got good as well. I believe he says the current MK2 is good. I love mine and have no issues, no boom, lack of transparency, it is a nicely balanced HP from Stax.

2015/2 - for mine and the other one I have heard; the one at the dealer may be 2016. They all sound the same, and consistent: good sound stage, very nice bass, relaxed presentation. Looks like Stax got quality control under control :).

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #10,233 of 25,592

2015/2 - for mine and the other one I have heard; the one at the dealer may be 2016. They all sound the same, and consistent: good sound stage, very nice bass, relaxed presentation. Looks like Stax got quality control under control :).

Yes I thought the same. Or maybe Stax stopped changing the specs without telling anyone? Who knows?

So yeah, mighty fine HP that can sound great and easy to live with.

On another vein, I changed DAC recently and began to understand the 009 has no treble problem, rather is mighty transparent and fast. I am now getting bags of detail but no digital edge or fatigue. Before the DAC change I was wondering if they had an issue in the treble region such as sibilance or some low level distortion.

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #10,234 of 25,592

And the channel imbalance too? Oops...I wasn't suppose to say that here.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #10,236 of 25,592
And the channel imbalance too? Oops...I wasn't suppose to say that here.

Why not... it has been discussed quite many times. I may be lucky but so far I haven't experienced channel imbalance with either of my Stax headphones so far... but others have been reporting it, and it is both annoying and expensive at headphones at these price levels, plus shipping to Japan and back. I don't know if it's still a problem lately, and how much. It's indeed a thing to consider with Stax. From that respect you are likely safer buying second hand units that have either been checked for it, or never turned out to have this problem.

With the diaphragm change in the SZ3 007 Mk2, is it often considered easier to drive than the Mk1s?

I haven't noticed that - actually my 703xx Mk1 seems to be a tiny bit easier to drive, and also sounds a little bit louder. Let's say it's a draw and both require good amps.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #10,237 of 25,592

Why not... it has been discussed quite many times. I may be lucky but so far I haven't experienced channel imbalance with either of my Stax headphones so far... but others have been reporting it, and it is both annoying and expensive at headphones at these price levels, plus shipping to Japan and back. I don't know if it's still a problem lately, and how much. It's indeed a thing to consider with Stax. From that respect you are likely safer buying second hand units that have either been checked for it, or never turned out to have this problem.

Stax was never forthcoming on its root cause. So to avoid all the hassles I'll just get me a backup.
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #10,244 of 25,592
Am I reading this correctly i.e.  a higher voltage rail will not affect headroom?

Sure it will affect actual electrical headroom, from around 1600VAC P-P to 1800VAC P-P, or less than a dB. Meh...

But you never going to listen to a STAX at anything approaching either high level with even inefficient SR-007 Mk2s with a sensitivity of 100dB/100V rms (282VAC P-P).

Less distortion and higher slew rate at human pain limited listening levels is the reason for the higher PS rails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back