The Stax Thread III
Dec 14, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #7,472 of 25,505
  Is the a new SR-L300 coming?

http://www.erji.net/simple/index.php?t1859804.html

What makes you say that? Can you read that? I can't. But let me speculate:

It would make sense for Stax to revamp the Lambda line like that, adding a lower-end L300 if the L500 is indeed meant as the replacement for the 507. Then the L300 could replace the 307 and 407. However, if you look closely to the three headphones in the pictures, you can see that they all use the wide plug with the wide cable. Traditionally, the lower-end 'phones use the thinner cable which fits into the plug directly, without the need for the 'wings' on the plug if you know what I mean. So possibly we're looking at a L500 and two L700s here (or two L500s and a L700).

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #7,475 of 25,505

What makes you say that? Can you read that? I can't. But let me speculate:

It would make sense for Stax to revamp the Lambda line like that, adding a lower-end L300 if the L500 is indeed meant as the replacement for the 507. Then the L300 could replace the 307 and 407. However, if you look closely to the three headphones in the pictures, you can see that they all use the wide plug with the wide cable. Traditionally, the lower-end 'phones use the thinner cable which fits into the plug directly, without the need for the 'wings' on the plug if you know what I mean. So possibly we're looking at a L500 and two L700s here (or two L500s and a L700).

Stax say in their specs, that the L-500 replaces upto the 407 model.

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #7,478 of 25,505
I'm not sure if it's possible to explain it to someone who's heard neither, so pardon me if it's not, but could someone please explain the difference between a STAX amp and a KGSS variant amp (everything else remaining constant) in terms of sound quality? I've never heard either, but I'm eager to understand as to why STAX amps are considered inferior to the KGSS amps.

Thank you.

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #7,479 of 25,505
As i experienced, KGSS / BHSE got more punch on bass and sound with more clarity, even on lower loudness level.
The 007MK II is harder to drive and has some improvement from a 3rd party amp.

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #7,480 of 25,505
  I'm not sure if it's possible to explain it to someone who's heard neither, so pardon me if it's not, but could someone please explain the difference between a STAX amp and a KGSS variant amp (everything else remaining constant) in terms of sound quality? I've never heard either, but I'm eager to understand as to why STAX amps are considered inferior to the KGSS amps.

Thank you.

I would not say Stax amps sound bad. i would say inferior.

I hope my example is a little helpful. I can make other analogies if not...

My E-MU 0404 USB, same D/A as the Modi 2, has a very nice sounding amp in it. It's not exceptional and it won't blow your mind, but it sounds pretty nice. Better than plugging in the 1/4 jack of your non-electrostats right into your stereo receiver, but not as good as a headphone amp worth a couple hundred bucks.

I think Stax amps are, until you get to a certain price point, kind of like that. They'll give you the detail and the power you want without being noisy or otherwise objectionable in any particular way, but at the same time you realize it isn't the best thing in the world and there's room for improvement. but at the same time,  you're not dis-satisfied with what you're hearing, you just know it probably gets better.

Then you try out a $300-500 headphone amp and you're like, oh, I didn't realize what I was missing out on! But if you still go back to the other headphone amp, it's not like it's unlistenable, it just leaves something to be desired.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, maybe someone else can explain it better.

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #7,481 of 25,505

I would not say Stax amps sound bad. i would say inferior.

I hope my example is a little helpful. I can make other analogies if not...

My E-MU 0404 USB, same D/A as the Modi 2, has a very nice sounding amp in it. It's not exceptional and it won't blow your mind, but it sounds pretty nice. Better than plugging in the 1/4 jack of your non-electrostats right into your stereo receiver, but not as good as a headphone amp worth a couple hundred bucks.

I think Stax amps are, until you get to a certain price point, kind of like that. They'll give you the detail and the power you want without being noisy or otherwise objectionable in any particular way, but at the same time you realize it isn't the best thing in the world and there's room for improvement. but at the same time,  you're not dis-satisfied with what you're hearing, you just know it probably gets better.

Then you try out a $300-500 headphone amp and you're like, oh, I didn't realize what I was missing out on! But if you still go back to the other headphone amp, it's not like it's unlistenable, it just leaves something to be desired.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, maybe someone else can explain it better.

I agree with this, but a spritzer modded 727II is really, really good! Not KGSSHV good, but still impressive.

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #7,483 of 25,505
You mean the feedback mod?..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back