The Stax Thread III
Aug 27, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #5,821 of 25,505
  I would guess that "audible distortion" is a language translation issue.

One advantage the Pavane  has over TotalDAC is that there is only one Pavane model.
There are far too many TotalDAC variants and options for me. Whichever one I chose, I'd be forever fretting about upgrades etc.
Of course, for some people this choice would be very attractive.     

Well, that for certain is not a sound quality advantage.  Some may look at that as a disadvantage.  Whatever ever the case may be.  For me Budget helps to drive decisions.  If it fits in the budget I will consider it, if it does not I won't even think about it.  

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #5,822 of 25,505
I think you mean the SRM-T1W instead of M? I have never seen one in person, nor have I seen a SRM-T1S, which I think has the same color too. From the photos I've seen, I think I prefer the 'normal' champaign. On the photos they often get a bit of a purple or green haze over them.

Wups, correct I meant W. And yes I forgot about the SRM-T1S which appears to have the same color, I have one on the way so will be able to compare directly. For the normal champaign I have a 006T mk1 which is really light. So much so that it doesn't really give an impression of anything, really just looking like a dusky aluminum. The 717 looks (in pictures, it's also on the way) to be a darker 'normal' champaign. 

The T1S/T1W/T2 are the ones that stand out. I agree with the purple/green haze but it's probably just a photographic artifact or monitor, in real life they look great.

With black I like the SRM-1/MK2 PP/SRM-T1 the best, as having the deepest, darkest black. Some of the others (e.g. ED-1/Signature) it's a lighter black. Just different because of who they used to anodize, or also it might be that they tried a matte black versus a gloss deep black (the style I like better)

Edit: speaking of which, I really dislike the brushed aluminum of the modern variants (323S). Don't know why, it looks unfinished to me, maybe because the amps are so small. The highly polished aluminum of the older ones (12S) look so much better. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #5,823 of 25,505
I can't think of anything recent that has the same kind of high quality aluminum like the SRD-7 or 12S. I don't think my 323S looks bad by any means, I just don't think it looks like the same grade of metal, but I can't really fault Stax for that since I haven't seen anything made in the last 25 years with that kind of metal seen on the 12S and such (at least according to memory)
confused.gif

Remember at that point in time Sovtek was making guitar pedal enclosures out of recycled tank metal. a different time for sure.

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #5,824 of 25,505
anyone know if the 407 are being discontinued? or why it's really cheap right now on PJ? just ordered one for $254 shipped to the USA...cheaper than the 307, actually...and less than half the price of the 507. hmmm....

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #5,825 of 25,505
anyone know if the 407 are being discontinued? or why it's really cheap right now on PJ? just ordered one for $254 shipped to the USA...cheaper than the 307, actually...and less than half the price of the 507. hmmm....

I don't know why.... but thanks to you, my wallet just sprung a small leak. THANKS a lot!!! lol

I just ordered the 407 along with the 323s. I need something to drive them and this combination should be a decent system to get me started on STAX.

Now, where can I get 507 replacement pads? I remember reading that that is the main difference between the 407 and 507. Does anyone have a pair, even a little used that they wouldn't mind selling?

Now, if you ever spot such a discount on the 009, you gotta let me know and I'll be in like Flynn.

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #5,826 of 25,505
Oh, I forgot to add that the price came out to $714 delivered and I won't have to worry about customs duties and taxes biting me in the rear end. I can't wait to try them out.

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #5,829 of 25,505

Which shop is "PJ"?

That would be Price Japan.

You bas****, PJ just got my order 
angry_face.gif

Ali

I would have thought that you already have one of these. So did you just put in an order for one?

What should I expect from the 407 with the SRM-323s compared to the HD 800 with a pretty transparent system?

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #5,830 of 25,505

I would have thought that you already have one of these. So did you just put in an order for one?

I ordered one for the collection, that's a crazy good price. 

What should I expect from the 407 with the SRM-323s compared to the HD 800 with a pretty transparent system?

Worlds within worlds. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #5,833 of 25,505
I don't know why.... but thanks to you, my wallet just sprung a small leak. THANKS a lot!!! lol

I just ordered the 407 along with the 323s. I need something to drive them and this combination should be a decent system to get me started on STAX.

Now, where can I get 507 replacement pads? I remember reading that that is the main difference between the 407 and 507. Does anyone have a pair, even a little used that they wouldn't mind selling?

Now, if you ever spot such a discount on the 009, you gotta let me know and I'll be in like Flynn.

So I looked at the webpage on my mobile again a little later and realized that I never did the final step to make the payment through PayPal. So I went on my computer and started a fresh new order but this time I included the wooden STAX headphone stand and the dustcover.

I contacted PJ to ask if I could add the stand to my order when I thought I had already put it through. They got back to me reasonably quickly and told me that I may have to wait a week for the 323s to get there. So I guess I should get my whole order in about 8-10 days.

I just received a confirmation of payment email from PJ. The wait begins.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #5,834 of 25,505
  That would be Price Japan.

I've had this 407/323s and the HD800/SPL Auditor, not in the same time. Each had it's coloration and "etch" up-top, I think the HD800's was more annoying but still it was more transparent to my ears than the 407 driven by the 323s. Probably the amount of staging space and treble extention gave that impression. Staxen still sound more rhythmically fluid than any dynamic I've heard though.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #5,835 of 25,505
haha. I'm glad I got a few of you to depart with some of your cash. that's what this site is all about!

I've heard the 407/507 can be a tad shrill up top. I have a kgst being built for me at the moment so hopefully it'll help smooth it out. not sure there are very many dynamics/planars in the $250 range that can compete with the 407.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back