The Stax Thread III
Aug 25, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #5,791 of 25,570
Hi guys, as a previous Stax owner, I'm reunited with a new set. I'm working from home a bit more at the moment, so a good desktop system is very much appreciated. 

I own the new Stax 5170 system: 507s with the Kimik version of the 006ts. First impressions are good. 

Previously I owned some 507s with the 323s. I was very fond of this system at the time, but circumstances changed and I wasn't so desk bound, so I moved them on. 

It's hard to say from memory, but the 006ts could be a little smoother than the 323s. I had a similar experience when I owned the 007tii Kimik and 009 (a dealer purchase / extended demo that I couldn't justify at the time, and they were a bit scratched and worn too). With this flagship system I remember a more delicate, more refined sound but seemingly with less punch and groove than the 507/323s combo. Bizarre, I know. Ultimately the 007tii / 009 system was better, but thousands better? I was undecided, so I returned them

Today, listening to the (Probably yet to run in) 006ts Kimik, I think overall it's better than the 323s, with the 507 (after all, I guess Stax have matched this system) but there was something about the 323s that I also liked. Maybe this is just from memory, and a comparison today may be very different. 

Has anyone compared the 006ts Kimik with the 323s with the 507, or any similar comparisons and experiences? I guess it comes down to a 'valve vs solid state' debate. Any thoughts much appreciated, and wondering whether to give the 323s another go just to be sure the 006ts Kimik is the right choice. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #5,792 of 25,570
Had to look up what the 006ts "Kimik" was ... cryo tubes. Well whatever :) ...

The 006 is a nice amp, I have the first version with a Normal port. Mine happens to be sitting next to my 323. With a 507 I think it would be a better match than the 323. Late edition Stax amps and 'speakers tend to be more punchy and energetic than the earlier ones. The latest Lambdas have plenty of energy at any rate, no need to augment that with a 323 in my opinion. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #5,793 of 25,570
Is the 323s a particularly bright amp compared to older Stax designs? I enjoy the sound of it but I'm wondering if that's why some older Lambdas are punchier than I remember :)

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #5,794 of 25,570
Hello there,

I just bought a STAX SRM 717 amp. It was originally set to 100 V input.

I heard that by changing the position of fuses it could be set to 110 or 115V input. Now the fuses are positioned in 1,3,6 position, could someone tell me how to change it to get it to a 115V input? Thanks!

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #5,795 of 25,570
I wouldn't call the 323 particularly bright. It's got some punchy energy, and some top end scratchy that you don't find with others. But some older ones do it took, like the SRM-1/MK2. Interestingly the SRM-1 and the SRM-1/MK2 PP (Pro-Pro) don't have this either. With the SRM-T1 (S/W) it's a different story, but I think some of that characteristic is there too. 

They're all somewhat different and it's hard to find words. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #5,796 of 25,570
I would like to share my noob experience with the SR009.  I am driving it with a KGSSHV and this setup is probably the most revealing chain I ever owned.

With a new Schiit Gungnir Multibit, I am now hearing faint artifacts (crackles/pops) on most of my CDs.  I thought something is wrong with this setup, so I used the same CDs (using a TASCAM CD-200 as a transport or ripped to FLAC) on my TEAC UD-301/SinglePower SDS-XLR/HD650 and, to my surprise, I can also hear the exact same artifacts on the exact same spot in the recording, but to a level that I never noticed before.  This occurs even on my "good CDs".  Now that I heard the artifacts with my SR009, I also notice them with the HD650.  The artifacts are not that bad, except that the GMB/KGSSHV/SR009 seem to accentuate them. I am putting up with this because with a perfect recording, the sound is glorious.  I do not remember the same problem with my Meridian G08/Head Amp KGSS/Stax Omega II MK1 (now sold).

I am getting used to the extra resolution of the system but will probably be on the lookout for a more forgiving source once my wallet recovers.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #5,797 of 25,570

Could it just be that the 009 is brighter than what you are used to.  It seems that several persons have commented about this. On the other hand better resolution means that you will start to hear the various artifacts on recordings, electrical as well as human. With some of my upgrades have come an increase is audibility of studio noises such as conductors flipping pages, trucks and planes in the background, etc.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #5,798 of 25,570
The treble extension is good but it is not bright -- very smooth; I can listen to the SR009 for hours.  I consider the Grado RS-1 bright, but very musical, so I like it too.  

When I stop listening for artifacts (and light drum tap, hand rasp on the guitar, moving position relative to the microphone, etc), I forget about them and just enjoy the music.  I just need to get used to this level of resolution.  I have an HD800 on the way, so  will probably give the SR009 a break to recalibrate my ears
redface.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #5,799 of 25,570
  The treble extension is good but it is not bright -- very smooth; I can listen to the SR009 for hours.  I consider the Grado RS-1 bright, but very musical, so I like it too.  

When I stop listening for artifacts (and light drum tap, hand rasp on the guitar, moving position relative to the microphone, etc), I forget about them and just enjoy the music.  I just need to get used to this level of resolution.  I have an HD800 on the way, so  will probably give the SR009 a break to recalibrate my ears
redface.gif

I think the 009s needs a source close to the budget of those phones i.e. 3K really. I am not saying your Gungnir is not good, those guys make great DACs for the money. What I am saying is you can't beat a high quality source. The 009s are the equivalent of adding 50K speakers onto your system, you get my drift.

I would try and save or source a second hand very good DAC. I prefer R-2R with tubes in, but there are other great DACs about for 3K, Metrum Pavane, mid level Lampizator, Audio Note Kit DAC 4.1. All are around 3K US. Then the balance of your system will be correct IMO. I have a KGSShv and depending on the fets used, it can be a warm sounding amp, which is good for the 009s and digital generally IMO.

Good luck, and welcome to the crazy and exciting world of high end headphones!

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #5,800 of 25,570
  I think the 009s needs a source close to the budget of those phones i.e. 3K really. I am not saying your Gungnir is not good, those guys make great DACs for the money. What I am saying is you can't beat a high quality source. The 009s are the equivalent of adding 50K speakers onto your system, you get my drift.

I would try and save or source a second hand very good DAC. I prefer R-2R with tubes in, but there are other great DACs about for 3K, Metrum Pavane, mid level Lampizator, Audio Note Kit DAC 4.1. All are around 3K US. Then the balance of your system will be correct IMO. I have a KGSShv and depending on the fets used, it can be a warm sounding amp, which is good for the 009s and digital generally IMO.

Good luck, and welcome to the crazy and exciting world of high end headphones!

Thanks Astrostar.  I am saving my pennies for the Pavane or the ANK 4.1.  I saw the new ANK 5.1 at the California Audio Show: ANK wants $5.5K for the kit.  Now that I have a semi-decent source, I am actually thinking of getting the 4.1 kit and build it on my spare time.  I just need to get my Meridian G08 back from repair and try that first before making any decision on the source.  The Meridian G08 has the traditional Meridian house sound, which I believe will pair well with the SR009. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #5,801 of 25,570

Thanks Astrostar.  I am saving my pennies for the Pavane or the ANK 4.1.  I saw the new ANK 5.1 at the California Audio Show: ANK wants $5.5K for the kit.  Now that I have a semi-decent source, I am actually thinking of getting the 4.1 kit and build it on my spare time.  I just need to get my Meridian G08 back from repair and try that first before making any decision on the source.  The Meridian G08 has the traditional Meridian house sound, which I believe will pair well with the SR009. 

I would say the DAC 4.1 will beat the Pavane. You are getting R-2R, no filter for the best Non Oversampling sound possible. Then you have a great over specified power supply, tube regulation and a great output stage with twin 5687s. I use Tungsols 1960s, they sound amazing.

I have build 3 DAC kits, 2 x 3.1s and 1 x 4.1. It takes maybe 10-12 hours to build, so 3 big slots. You can't go wrong with that DAC. I have heard the factory DAC 4.1 and they sound the same to me, very close in both design and sound. The UK DAC 4.1 costs £10K, thus the kit is a bargain IMO.

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #5,802 of 25,570

redface.gif

Glad you are enjoying the SR009.  You will really love the HD800 out of your SDS-XLR, speaking from another SDS-XLR owner.  Despite bad track records, the SDS-XLR continue to be best sounding dynamic amp in my collection.  
beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #5,803 of 25,570
  Hello there,

I just bought a STAX SRM 717 amp. It was originally set to 100 V input.

I heard that by changing the position of fuses it could be set to 110 or 115V input. Now the fuses are positioned in 1,3,6 position, could someone tell me how to change it to get it to a 115V input? Thanks!

I can't help you, but I know that this has been discussed many times before. Do a thorough search here, also using google with site:head-fi.org, and perhaps also on the other forum. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #5,804 of 25,570
  Glad you are enjoying the SR009.  You will really love the HD800 out of your SDS-XLR, speaking from another SDS-XLR owner.  Despite bad track records, the SDS-XLR continue to be best sounding dynamic amp in my collection.  
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I am looking forward to the HD800.  I auditioned it with the GS-X Mark II and it is much better than the reviews.  I can interpolate from the audition that it will be perfect for the SDS-XLR.

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #5,805 of 25,570
Yeah, I am looking forward to the HD800.  I auditioned it with the GS-X Mark II and it is much better than the reviews.  I can interpolate from the audition that it will be perfect for the SDS-XLR.

Your interpolation is correct. I run mine with Tungsol round plate and it is quite excellent. The size and depth of the soundstage is where the SDS really rules. Bass is stellar as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back