The Stax Thread III
Aug 26, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #5,806 of 25,580
Hi astrostar59,
As you might remember, i was planing to test the TotalDac after my friends are ready to give it to me.
Situation changed as they send it back to France after they finally got the Pavane. All of them realized the Pavane as best sounding DAC in the test cycle.

Comparing to the TotalDac there is explicit less distortion on the Pavane as it was told to me.
Next thing was that a cd-drive was better in sound quality than the Windows and the Mac Computer.

This is very surprising but i know that some of them has similar hearing preferences so i will accept this statement for now.
Now i wait to get the Pavane as a competitor to the Esoteric D-02 in near future.

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #5,807 of 25,580
Aug 26, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #5,810 of 25,580
  I just bought a 717 from Japan (have a friend over there who navigated the auction). Even though it was a domestic version it has the jumper block on the back

Is it just my eyes or does that look like it needs a good cleaning?
blink.gif
  Nice buy though.
beerchug.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #5,812 of 25,580
Had to look up what the 006ts "Kimik" was ... cryo tubes. Well whatever :) ...

The 006 is a nice amp, I have the first version with a Normal port. Mine happens to be sitting next to my 323. With a 507 I think it would be a better match than the 323. Late edition Stax amps and 'speakers tend to be more punchy and energetic than the earlier ones. The latest Lambdas have plenty of energy at any rate, no need to augment that with a 323 in my opinion. 

Thanks, good to know. The last day or so listening to the 5170 system has been fantastic, maybe it's settling in as its only a few days old.

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #5,813 of 25,580
  Hello there,

I just bought a STAX SRM 717 amp. It was originally set to 100 V input.

I heard that by changing the position of fuses it could be set to 110 or 115V input. Now the fuses are positioned in 1,3,6 position, could someone tell me how to change it to get it to a 115V input? Thanks!

Try this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/23625#post_9627206

I have followed that instruction and it seem to work quite well.

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #5,814 of 25,580
Nice one! Mine has the jumper block as well. I have a black 717, which was even harder to find, but I've been very happily using it for the past five years with my 007.
Design-wise, I really like the rectangular and simple front panel. It's too bad Stax switched to using round buttons, leds and corners.

Quote:

Probably just the picture, it comes from a high end audio store which verifies the condition and operation. And thanks, the 717 has been the hardest to find. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #5,815 of 25,580
  I wouldn't call the 323 particularly bright. It's got some punchy energy, and some top end scratchy that you don't find with others. But some older ones do it took, like the SRM-1/MK2. Interestingly the SRM-1 and the SRM-1/MK2 PP (Pro-Pro) don't have this either. With the SRM-T1 (S/W) it's a different story, but I think some of that characteristic is there too. 

They're all somewhat different and it's hard to find words. 

Is C-version of SRM-1/mk2 Pro that different from P.P. version ?

Ali

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #5,816 of 25,580
  Hi astrostar59,
As you might remember, i was planing to test the TotalDac after my friends are ready to give it to me.
Situation changed as they send it back to France after they finally got the Pavane. All of them realized the Pavane as best sounding DAC in the test cycle.

Comparing to the TotalDac there is explicit less distortion on the Pavane as it was told to me.
Next thing was that a cd-drive was better in sound quality than the Windows and the Mac Computer.

This is very surprising but i know that some of them has similar hearing preferences so i will accept this statement for now.
Now i wait to get the Pavane as a competitor to the Esoteric D-02 in near future.

Audible distortion in the TotalDAC??  That's interesting.    The TD is one of the cleanest sounding DAC's I've heard.  Cleaner than any DAC with tubes I've heard thus far.  That includes the AMR DP-777 (non SE), the La Scala MKII, the Lampizator L4 G4, the Audio Note kit 4.1 (Built by Digital Pete).  Only the Audio Note 5 Signature sound more clean.  

The Pavane looks like it's engineered really well, so is the TotalDAC.  I suspect they returned the DAC because the Pavane gave them enough enjoyment at a much lower cost rather than it has less audible distortion.  The TotalDAC side by side with my Bricasti M1 (that measures very, very well) shows no signs of distortion at what's normal listening levels for me.

I would like to hear both DAC's side by side.  

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #5,817 of 25,580
  Is C-version of SRM-1/mk2 Pro that different from P.P. version ?

Oddly all the SRM-1's are different. Some subjective notes, but remember while I'll call some out as technically better they're all really good

1. SRM-1 (Normal-Normal) Technically up at the top of the lot, but Normal only naturally. Very different transistor and design from V2, I don't have the details but noticed when I cleaned inside. It's smooth and even, not punchy and a little scratchy like the later ones, competes with the PP below. Love it. 
  2. SRM-1/MK-2 Professional (Pro-Normal) Technically probably the bottom of the bunch. Has an aggressiveness to it that I'm not entirely fond of. This is A and B versoins
  3. SRM-1/MK-2 PP (Pro-Pro) Best of the MK2's, smooth, even, everything you want from SS with little to detract. Version C - I don't know if there is a version C that isn't PP, and if it's the same as the PP C or not. A friend who has heard them all says the PP C version is technically the best of the MK2's

Dats what I know

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #5,818 of 25,580
I have a black 717, which was even harder to find, but I've been very happily using it for the past five years with my 007. Design-wise, I really like the rectangular and simple front panel. It's too bad Stax switched to using round buttons, leds and corners.

Agree, I like the older rectangular buttons too. Color wise my favorite is the champaign, next aluminum and black last (but not that I don't like it). The most beautiful in my book are the SRM-T1M's which are a darker champaign, and the biggest (widest) of the amps. In aluminum the DA-80 looks the best, rack mount with a polished front panel and handles, next best are the old aluminum, like the 12S/3S and early SRM-1's. 

Edit: AFAIK the SRM-T1M is the same color as the famed T2, and the only two with that color (though I haven't seen a T2 in person). 

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #5,819 of 25,580
I like black because it matches my 007BL very well. I don't like the brown leather and cable on the normal 007, so I had to go black all the way.

I think you mean the SRM-T1W instead of M? I have never seen one in person, nor have I seen a SRM-T1S, which I think has the same color too. From the photos I've seen, I think I prefer the 'normal' champaign. On the photos they often get a bit of a purple or green haze over them.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #5,820 of 25,580

Audible distortion in the TotalDAC??  That's interesting.    

The Pavane looks like it's engineered really well, so is the TotalDAC.  I suspect they returned the DAC because the Pavane gave them enough enjoyment at a much lower cost rather than it has less audible distortion.

I would guess that "audible distortion" is a language translation issue.

One advantage the Pavane  has over TotalDAC is that there is only one Pavane model.
There are far too many TotalDAC variants and options for me. Whichever one I chose, I'd be forever fretting about upgrades etc.
Of course, for some people this choice would be very attractive.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back