The Stax Thread III
Aug 28, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #5,851 of 25,570
  Possible PJ has yet to order anything from earphone-home. Also, a telephone number for earphone-home is nowhere to be found on their site. AFAIK, one is required by Japanese law.

True. And to bring things full circle, I trust PJ - have personally dealt with them and you get what you paid for. I don't understand how the sources work in China/Japan,etc
but I think it's not unfounded to be skeptical when we see prices too good to be true. The whole Cattylink scam Negura experienced is real curious. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #5,852 of 25,570
I'm sure PJ will take care of their customers if earphone-home does turn out to be a scam. About sourcing, it looks like PJ simply buy retail so they're just as susceptible to fall victim to these types of scams as any of us.

Haven't heard about Cattylink, I'll have to look that up.

Edit: Had a look and I wouldn't be surprised if earphone-home's MO is the same. I would urge people who have placed orders for the 407 with PJ to ask if PJ has verified the legitimacy of earphone-home. Payment for online purchases is usually made through bank transfer within Japan, so should PJ pay via bank transfer, they would have no recourse. It looks like earphone-home does take CC though, so at least request PJ pay for anything from earphone-home via CC or COD for their benefit.

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #5,853 of 25,570
  I'm sure PJ will take care of their customers if earphone-home does turn out to be a scam. About sourcing, it looks like PJ simply buy retail so they're just as susceptible to fall victim to these types of scams as any of us.

Haven't heard about Cattylink, I'll have to look that up.

Edit: Had a look and I wouldn't be surprised if earphone-home's MO is the same. I would urge people who have placed orders for the 407 with PJ to ask if PJ has verified the legitimacy of earphone-home. Payment for online purchases is usually made through bank transfer within Japan, so should PJ pay via bank transfer, they would have no recourse. It looks like earphone-home does take CC though, so at least request PJ pay for anything from earphone-home via CC or COD for their benefit.

i'm sure PJ is more knowledgeable about their suppliers or the sites they purchase from. and i'm sure they have their methods of obtaining the items without undue harm to their business...so, if it is indeed a shady site that cannot fulfill PJ's orders, i'm sure PJ will notify us and refund our purchases. if not, paypal certainly will...

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #5,856 of 25,570
  I've got a set of 407s on order from price Japan. Out for delivery today or on tuesday. Ordered last week. Anything I should look for when I open them? Will update

Did you get them for the same price that they are listed for now? Is this your first STAX or like many of us, the deal was too good to pass up.

Personally, I never thought about being suspicious in this case because of the positive reputation of PJ. Let's hope there will be nothing to tarnish their reputation because I will be considering getting the 009 from them down the road if I have a good STAX experience here.

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #5,857 of 25,570

Did you get them for the same price that they are listed for now? Is this your first STAX or like many of us, the deal was too good to pass up.

Personally, I never thought about being suspicious in this case because of the positive reputation of PJ. Let's hope there will be nothing to tarnish their reputation because I will be considering getting the 009 from them down the road if I have a good STAX experience here.

First Stax. Got an amp of eBay too. Got them for the listed price now 37,500. Am worried

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #5,858 of 25,570
  First Stax. Got an amp of eBay too. Got them for the listed price now 37,500. Am worried

Which amp did you get? I ordered the SRM-323s from PJ.

Uh-oh. I just noticed that PJ raised the price of the 407 back up to $390. (oh. I guess that is what you meant. First I thought you meant that you bought them for the list price of 37,500.)

I hope that they will still honour the prices that some of us ordered it for yesterday. It would be the right thing for them to do. :wink:  I haven't received any email from them yet.

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #5,859 of 25,570
I hope that they will still honour the prices that some of us ordered it for yesterday. It would be the right thing for them to do. :wink:  I haven't received any email from them yet.

If you paid for it of course. Since PJ is a redistributor with a low margin they can't very well buy it at a new cost then eat the difference to sell to you below cost. Obviously the 50% reduction would be temporary until the source sold off the extra stock. I paid right away and got confirmation from Kaneda. 

The 323S is a great amp - that's a great combination for a great price. My first Stax was a 307/323S which I bought for over $1k. 

Edit: I bought a 009, 007, 003, 002 (the portable and five pin IEM's), and now a 407 from PJ, he's first rate. He screwed up an order, I ordered a 212S amp for the 003 (for work), he sent a 207/212S by accident. Sold the 207 to me for a mere $100, I use it for testing new electrostatic circuits. 

Not that it needs mentioning, but avoid the 207. It's perfect for testing but has a tendency to arc and isn't anything like the 307. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #5,860 of 25,570

If you paid for it of course. Since PJ is a redistributor with a low margin they can't very well buy it at a new cost then eat the difference to sell to you below cost. Obviously the 50% reduction would be temporary until the source sold off the extra stock. I paid right away and got confirmation from Kaneda. 

The 323S is a great amp - that's a great combination for a great price. My first Stax was a 307/323S which I bought for over $1k. 

I received a confirmation from Kaneda as well last night. He was fairly quick to reply to most of my email. After putting the order through, I later went to tell my wife about my purchase. She didn't have much of a reaction to it at all. So I added in that "I didn't make the big purchase that I mentioned to her a few weeks ago yet. She didn't say anything about that either. After that, I shot another email to Kaneda asking how much more to add the EP-5 ear pads and how much more to add the SR-009 to my order. He replied and I thought long and hard about adding the 009 but in the end, I didn't because it should stay at that price for some time to come...

That is my next dilemma, one headphone (009) or one headphone (probably LCD-XC closed HP) AND an amp (probably Schiit Ragnarok or Bryston BHA-1). I heard my HD 800 with the BHA-1 last week and I was quite impressed. I would like to try the Rag because it could then also drive my Dynaudio speakers but there is no where around here that I can audition it. If any place gets them, they are sold right away, so not available for testing. What would you do?

Good to hear your comment on the 323s. Thanks.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #5,861 of 25,570
That is my next dilemma, one headphone (009) or one headphone (probably LCD-XC closed HP) AND an amp (probably Schiit Ragnarok or Bryston BHA-1). I heard my HD 800 with the BHA-1 last week and I was quite impressed. I would like to try the Rag because it could then also drive my Dynaudio speakers but there is no where around here that I can audition it. If any place gets them, they are sold right away, so not available for testing. What would you do?

I have 20+ headphones and 20+ amps, all Stax. Wrong person to ask. 

Back story is I only listen to classical (am a musician) and spent years trying to get decent (accurate) reproduction of an Opera or a string quartet. Tried planars (speakers), SET's, Oris horns etc. Finally found true accuracy with (and only with) Stax. I have the collection because I love them so much, and I like variety. 

Amazing how difficult it is to simply get an accurate reproduction of a violin. Massed strings gets smeared and etched across the board. While speakers do nice things none of them I heard managed to pull them off. They sacrifice tonal accuracy for placement/soundstage. 

Stax do it the best, but to really get it right in addition you need diffuse field equalization. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #5,863 of 25,570
What tendency to arc are you talking about?

For example I wear glasses, and frequently if I take them off with the headphone on I'll sometimes get a loud crackle from the driver. Also heard it in other circumstances, probably some six times. Otherwise I've never gotten a crackle/arc from any other headphone. I'm guessing they don't do a lot of burn in or QA on the 207.

I've never heard anything like it even from the bottom end IEMs, but it might not be a fair comparison. The IEMs are so much smaller I imagine they're easier to manufacture, unlike a big Lambda driver which might have more opportunities for something to go wrong. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #5,865 of 25,570
Sounds to me like you're describing the "Stax fart". It happens to all of them, with the plastic Lambda housing being more prone than, e.g., the metal 007. I've tried a couple of older Lambdas that did it way more than the 207. It's completely innocuous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back