The Stax Thread III
Mar 2, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #11,267 of 25,494
If you're interested in trying out the L500's to get your feet wet so to speak and try out Stax, I will be selling mine along with the matching amp SRM 353x. Which when I started I also had paired with a mojo. Only selling as I have upgraded to a KGST and finally received my 007s yesterday as well. 

The L500's were a great way to get into Stax imo. Give a good feel for what you're getting into without spending too much money and decide whether you want to pursue things further or not

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #11,268 of 25,494
Thanks for the replies. My DIY electronic building skills went out the door 40 years ago back in the days when I was active in amateur ham radio.
Right now I like the suggestion of the new Mojolnir amps - I was actually looking at his website.

What about a DAC to connect to his amplifiers? I have a Mojo in the house which I am currently using with the Utopias and I'm planning on substituting it with a Hugo 2 when it comes out.

Does an iPhone transport > Hugo2 > Mjolnir KGSSHV > 009 make any sense at all - or am I losing the plot?

If you loved the 009/BHSE then chances are good you'd like the Mjolnir KGSSHV/009. Though I found the Mjolnir "mini" KGSShv builds to be a bit brighter and slightly fatiguing compared to the BHSE with NOS tubes...but overall it's reasonably close to the BHSE sound, especially considering the significant differences in hardware. That said, you're going down the "rabbit hole" at that point. And for $3K+ you can get a lot of amp on the used market if you're patient.

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #11,269 of 25,494
Right now I like the suggestion of the new Mojolnir amps - I was actually looking at his website.

What about a DAC to connect to his amplifiers? 

I had both the Mjolnir KGSShv/KGST and preferred the KGST with the 009 due to its warmer sound. I found the Mjolnir KGSShv to be too bright with the 009. From reading others experiences here, there are other warmer sounding KGSShv builds, though. 

The DAC used with the BHSE/009 at CanJam NY was a Holo Audio Spring DAC which is available in 3 different levels.

I'm mentioning this because I was using a PS-Audio Perfectwave DAC-ll with my BHSE/009 and replaced it with the Spring DAC which made a very impressive SQ difference overall in my Stax system.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #11,270 of 25,494
Thanks for the replies. My DIY electronic building skills went out the door 40 years ago back in the days when I was active in amateur ham radio.

What about a DAC to connect to his amplifiers? I have a Mojo in the house which I am currently using with the Utopias and I'm planning on substituting it with a Hugo 2 when it comes out.

Does an iPhone transport > Hugo2 > Mjolnir KGSSHV > 009 make any sense at all - or am I losing the plot?

​I haven't heard that combo before, and given how apparently finicky the SR-009 can be with source components I'm not too comfortable saying it'll sound awesome. If I had to take a guess though, the Hugo is a phenomenal DAC, and the KGST apparently makes the sr-009 sing, so in all likelihood it will be a very decent set up.

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #11,271 of 25,494
Aactually, I suspect that would be just fine. With a Mjolnir KGSShv, the DAC will be your constraint. I've got the Carbon and the Carbon CC, and a headinclouds KGSShv. All sound excellent with the 009, so long as they are getting a nice feed

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #11,272 of 25,494
  Aactually, I suspect that would be just fine. With a Mjolnir KGSShv, the DAC will be your constraint. I've got the Carbon and the Carbon CC, and a headinclouds KGSShv. All sound excellent with the 009, so long as they are getting a nice feed

Is it the headinclouds KGSShv build that's warmer sounding than the Mjolnir?

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #11,273 of 25,494

I think the assertion has been made for the outboard Sanyo build that the Sanyo bits are "sweeter," whatever the hell that means, and I have heard the word "warmer" used as well. When I was using the headinclouds KGSShv behind a PS Audio DirectStream, I did not discern this purported sweetness or warmth. I thought the amps sounded very good, but my sense was that the Carbon seemed a bit more dynamic to me [better power supply?] and open. Those are attributes that appeal to me. This is not a scientific claim on my part, and after a few swaps and switching between the 009 and the 007, I decided I had had enough fun, and stuck with the Carbon [which I owned before the headinclouds build].

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #11,274 of 25,494

Thanks to everyone for the answers to my post listed above.

Perhaps the thing to do is change direction when it comes to source (iPhone > Hugo) and simply take an amp such as the Mjolnir and connect it directly to my two channel system. Naim TOTL preamp/amp fed by Linn LP12 turntable and Linn DS digital player. RCA out from my Naim preamp into a Mjolnir??

It seems that Mjolnir are making a number of different amps - each one a Kevin Gilmore design? What is the difference between all the versions listed on his site?

Finally - how long have the 009's been out? What kind of longevity on Stax models?

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #11,276 of 25,494
  Sr-009 have been out since 2011 I believe, and the sr-007 since 2007. Stax will serve you well for a long long time.

With the minor caveats to avoid moisture and dust :)

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #11,277 of 25,494
Any new models or replacements on the horizon?

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #11,278 of 25,494
The L series just came out as the modern refresh of the lambdas. Word is an SR009 Mk II might be in the pipe the next few years.

The SR-007 dates back to 1998 by the way. They just keep tweaking the drivers and stuff over the years. Like the Lambdas go back to the early 80's. Stax is really good at what they do and even the thirty and forty year old stuff can still sound very impressive.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #11,279 of 25,494
The L series just came out as the modern refresh of the lambdas. Word is an SR009 Mk II might be in the pipe the next few years.

The SR-007 dates back to 1998 by the way. They just keep tweaking the drivers and stuff over the years. Like the Lambdas go back to the early 80's. Stax is really good at what they do and even the thirty and forty year old stuff can still sound very impressive.

Definitely true, even the early 70s sr-x are killer sounding still.

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #11,280 of 25,494
When MK2 versions come out can MK1's be sent back for update?

How long are the standard cables? Can they be extended?

Finally - how is service in the USA? I keep on reading about shoddy distributors - and that the current distributor is now no longer? Do they usually need service - or more or less fairly reliable?

Incredible how my only demo was a brief 15 minutes at CanJam yet the 009's remain permanently etched in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back