The Stax Thread III
Mar 1, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #11,253 of 25,560
Hey all, 
Just recently became a member of the stax family after a whopping entry fee. I received the SRM 007TA driver unit today to pair with the recently acquired SR-007Mk2. Mine is the latest iteration I believe, with drivers from this very year. The model number reads SZ3...

Very first impressions were very meh, and I began to wonder what an expensive mistake this could be. Fast forward a few hours, and I think these are worth the money. The bass first of all has a lot of impact while being airy/detailed at the same time, very very enjoyable. The mids are not recessed like some of the reviews I have read, and are in a nice balance with the other frequencies. The highs are the shocker because I keep reading these phones are dark but i dont think so with this pair. While I dont think they are as pronounced as the HD800, they are plenty fine for me.

My previous phones were the Hifiman Edition x, so this is a very big jump and the edition x cant match the speed or detail retrieval of the sr-007. The only advantage of the HE-X is the very tall soundstage, but beyond that the sr-007 have a more rounded and natural soundstage that is just large enough to impart realism to the music.

Might be a while before I look to add more to the collection, but I am looking at the L700 or even potentially the sr-009 in the far future, emphasis on far. 

EDIT: why is the srm 007TA driver unit so fudging long? honestly looks like a slug, but who cares right?
         Also, is there much I can expect from the pair breaking in?

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #11,254 of 25,560
  I have an old Stax Sigma, connected via the energizer SRD-7.

I recently discovered a channel imbalance. The right/left proportion is something like 70/30.

Changing amp did not help.

I also noticed that the SRD-7 does not change the sound when powered on. If I leave it powered off, the sound is the same. Same volume, same imbalance.

Is the problem caused by a faulty energizer? Any suggestions?

This is just to let you know that Soren_Brix kindly examined the Sigma for me. He recommended Julez to repair them, which he did. He recoated the left driver and glued it together. I'm now enjoying my Sigma like never before. Thank you guys! 
o2smile.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #11,256 of 25,560
Did some of the oldest pro models have nickel plugs or have they always been gold-plated? I was looking at something and it says pro on the frame but I can't get a good look at the plug other than to see the color of the pins, not count them.

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #11,260 of 25,560
Hey all, 
Just recently became a member of the stax family after a whopping entry fee. I received the SRM 007TA driver unit today to pair with the recently acquired SR-007Mk2.

Might as well jump in and introduce myself as I've been following this thread for the last few weeks. I'm back to headfi after last prowling here 14 years ago. I am now the proud owner of a pair of Utopia headphones however I must confide that I have the Stax itch. I attended CanJam in New York two weeks ago and still cannot stop thinking about the demo I had of the 009 and 007 with the blue Hawaii at the headamp booth. It was a short demo however I cannot stop thinking about it. I was particularly enamoured with the 009 - it remains etched in my mind.

Is there a way to get into Stax headphones with out getting sucked down the proverbial rabbit hole? Just a 009 and simple solid-state no hassle no maintenance energizer. Maybe with a Hugo (2) DAC

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #11,261 of 25,560
Might as well jump in and introduce myself as I've been following this thread for the last few weeks. I'm back to headfi after last prowling here 14 years ago. I am now the proud owner of a pair of Utopia headphones however I must confide that I have the Stax itch. I attended CanJam in New York two weeks ago and still cannot stop thinking about the demo I had of the 009 and 007 with the blue Hawaii at the headamp booth. It was a short demo however I cannot stop thinking about it. I was particularly enamoured with the 009 - it remains etched in my mind.

Is there a way to get into Stax headphones with out getting sucked down the proverbial rabbit hole? Just a 009 and simple solid-state no hassle no maintenance energizer. Maybe with a Hugo (2) DAC

If you have the budget for it, I have been led to believe that the Mjolnir Audio solid state amps will get you there with the sr-009/007. Particularly the KGSSHV Carbon, or even the KGSSHV mini at 1800 less or so.
I am personally looking to get the mini later when my budget allows it. Apparently these amps are an unequivocal step up from the stax amps

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #11,262 of 25,560

Probably best to build a KGSSHV Carbon if you have any electronics skills at all. Maybe $1500 in parts and top of the line performance if you don't splurge on an RK50 potentiometer or anything. If not, a used full size KGSSHV can be had around the same price without losing much.

For modern STAX and no fooling around, a 353S from STAX japan is like $350. Or you can slap a regulated 12V PSU on the entry level mini amp for $50 ($100'ish if you build a top of the line GRLV).

If you have some electronics skills but don't want to go full bore DIY, a number of the old solid state STAX offerings are nice for pretty cheap. Just replace the electrolytic caps and rebias. Might have to add a small probias circuit for the really old ones that only come equipped with normal bias.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #11,263 of 25,560
Probably best to build a KGSSHV Carbon if you have any electronics skills at all. Maybe $1500 in parts and top of the line performance if you don't splurge on an RK50 potentiometer or anything. If not, a used full size KGSSHV can be had around the same price without losing much.

For modern STAX and no fooling around, a 353S from STAX japan is like $350. Or you can slap a regulated 12V PSU on the entry level mini amp for $50 ($100'ish if you build a top of the line GRLV).

If you have some electronics skills but don't want to go full bore DIY, a number of the old solid state STAX offerings are nice for pretty cheap. Just replace the electrolytic caps and rebias. Might have to add a small probias circuit for the really old ones that only come equipped with normal bias.

very apt username bud

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #11,264 of 25,560

I'd go for one of the new Lambdas L500/L700 and pair with the best amp you can afford, preferably tube (e.g. used KGST). The Lambdas are more efficient than 009, far more efficient than 007, and generally do very well on ordinary amplifiers quite below the Carbon/T2/BHSE tier. I think that's a better approach than letting a mortal amp struggle mightily with the 009/007.

Of course some don't like the Lambda sound so much. Purk and I like the L700 quite a lot (I maybe prefer it over my 007 Mk I); my other audiophile friend (who's not Purk) doesn't, and vastly prefers the 007/009.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #11,265 of 25,560
Thanks for the replies. My DIY electronic building skills went out the door 40 years ago back in the days when I was active in amateur ham radio.
Right now I like the suggestion of the new Mojolnir amps - I was actually looking at his website.

What about a DAC to connect to his amplifiers? I have a Mojo in the house which I am currently using with the Utopias and I'm planning on substituting it with a Hugo 2 when it comes out.

Does an iPhone transport > Hugo2 > Mjolnir KGSSHV > 009 make any sense at all - or am I losing the plot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back