The Stax Thread III
Oct 21, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #6,766 of 25,678
redface.gif

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #6,767 of 25,678
Could we please stop talking about MA? 

Here's my self-portrait on what I have been building the last three months.  It is modest by Summit-Fi standards, but I am glad I followed the general advice in this thread.  SR-009 (from PJ), KGSS-HV (from the FS section), Audio Note Kit DAC 4.1 LE (from Audiogon), and a CEC TL5 Belt-drive CD transport (from Mutine).

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #6,769 of 25,678

Here's my self-portrait on what I have been building the last three months.  It is modest by Summit-Fi standards, but I am glad I followed the general advice in this thread.  SR-009 (from PJ), KGSS-HV (from the FS section), Audio Note Kit DAC 4.1 LE (from Audiogon), and a CEC TL5 Belt-drive CD transport (from Mutine).

Beautiful! Love the understated look of the KGSS-HV. 

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #6,770 of 25,678

Nothing modest about that!!  What a fantastic setup!  

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #6,771 of 25,678
I used to use a Stax 717 with my 007s and later my 009s for a short period. It was ok, kind of entertaining, but it was never realistic or particularly right for my taste. It was still better than many headphone systems no doubt, but the 009 can scale so well, it has that much more to offer. I try to encourage folk to find that, especially if they have shelled out 5K for the 009s already....
The 007A is damb good as well. I think it comes down to the Stax sound, it is a drug, I am hooked for sure, and I want as much of it as I can get..... unfortunately IMO that means a good front end.. damb I can't help myself. Sorry I will shut up now.

Actually that reminds me, I know a guy who has a John Kenny battery DAC that costs less then 1K and sound damb good... it's those horrid mains nasties messing up our DACs.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #6,772 of 25,678
  Music Alchemist has added new life to what was a stagnant topic. Sure he posts an awful lot, but I can't say it bothers me much since he usually has something new to say (though sometimes off-topic.) What does bother me are the insults, the relentless discussion of DACs, the exaggerated importance of the source quality (read cost), and the navel gazing posts (like this one, I suppose).

Yes, I try to at least add something when I post. I'm not trying to bug anyone.
biggrin.gif

I spend far too much time on Head-Fi, though...my career is partially to blame. I work from home on the computer, so it's easy to have a second life here.

That's awesome, but having the hands in that position will effect SQ
tongue_smile.gif

ahaha. True.

Music Alchemist, have you thought about contacting Stax directly to see if they could use your artistic skills in their marketing campaigns?  I love your photoshop skills!

Honestly, you could submit some of these to them and offer to start off pro bono, eventually when they fully appreciate your talent they may pay you with headphones and amps!

You do understand the picture is not his?
Just copied from some Japanese manga site.
And the text as well as the logos too?
I hardly see what this may offer STAX in terms of artistic superiority!

This. haha. I didn't mean that I created the image from scratch; I just took existing images and put them all together.

Yeah, I'm sick of being the center of attention. I just wanna talk (and read) about STAX!

I think it comes down to the Stax sound, it is a drug, I am hooked for sure, and I want as much of it as I can get..... unfortunately IMO that means a good front end..

I feel the same way. After I heard STAX, everything else paled in comparison. However, although I don't disagree that high-end components can significantly improve the experience, I also felt that electrostats from low-end components already sounded better than non-electrostats from high-end components.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #6,773 of 25,678
By the way guys, don't forget that Todd the Vinyl Junkie is a Stax dealer and can get you any model you want (including the SR-L700
biggrin.gif
).  He also has deals from time to time, so it is best to call him. 

Todd is not only a head-fi supporter, but is also extremely helpful when you run into a problem with your purchase.  I do not want to get into the details of what happened, but let's just say I am so glad I bought my HE1000 from him.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #6,775 of 25,678
Guys, I've cleaned up some posts. Please keep this ON topic - Stax. Further play nice. this thread doesn't belong to any individual, doesn't belong to any private members Stax club, etc. Be respectful to new subscribers, and likewise new subscribers be respectful to long term contributors. Last but not least, there's a a search. Please use it.

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #6,776 of 25,678
I would really like some advice from some experienced Stax users please.

My dealer has the below deals:

http://www.highendheadphones.co.uk/headphones/stax-sr-727-ii-omega-reference-system

http://www.highendheadphones.co.uk/stax/stax-sr-007-mk2-omega-reference-system-kimik-modified?page=2

Are these amps really suited for the 007's?

Are these good deals?

Is the more expensive option with the kimik  'worth' it?

With the announcement of the LCD4 I have released just how far I am willing to go with this hobby.

Current options: LCD4. HEK, LCD X (considering owning again), SR007.

I will be auditioning all of these soon for an entire day and just wondered what you all though

Many thanks

Personally I felt the upgrade was worth it -my 009's sounded sweeter with more depth but that's just me. There is also a Synergistic Research internal fuse added.
If Stax seems the way to go be advised that a UK manufacturer is working on a new energiser for next year. Let your ears decide without preconceptions and Paul at the high end headphones will give you all the time you need. All day if needed.

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #6,778 of 25,678

I like this setup. I imagine if you could hear the difference with a belt drive cd player it would be with the 009's. So, how does it sound, versus a non-belt CD transport?

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #6,779 of 25,678
  I like this setup. I imagine if you could hear the difference with a belt drive cd player it would be with the 009's. So, how does it sound, versus a non-belt CD transport?

I have not done a direct A/B comparison, but I had a Tascam CD-200 in there prior to receiving the CEC and, just from casual listening and memory, can't discern an audible difference between the two.  I highly recommend the Tascam CD-200 ($229 at Amazon) if one is just looking for a reliable and quiet transport.  I really did not expect a difference because the Tascam was already sounding good in the setup.  The KGSS-HV and SR-009 sound good even from a TEAC UD-301 ($299 at Amazon, with rebate) driven by an old laptop with jRiver.

The primary reason I bought the CEC was that I have always wanted to have a top loading CD player with a puck to get that fake vinyl playing experience
biggrin.gif
.  I enjoy placing the CD on the spindle, placing the puck over the CD, and closing the door; adds a little bit more fun to my listening sessions.  Unfortunately, Japan-made CEC's have always been expensive.  There is a broken CEC TL2 at Audiogon right now for $700.  However, this last May 2015, CEC released the TL5, which is made in Japan but without the superlink  (CEC proprietary DAC connection).  The NA version is around $1350 and comes with a large diameter/heavier TL1N puck (the NA distributor is Mutine of Canada).  The Japan version has a smaller puck and can be had for around $1000 USD.  I thought the pricing is reasonable, and I can see this type of product being discontinued with the popularity of streaming, so decided to indulge in one.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #6,780 of 25,678
If one was to buy a SRM-323S from PJ as a cheap means of driving a 009 whilst saving for a TOTL amp, would you require a step down transformer to run it off 120V mains? I know it says 100V only on the rear, but some people say the 20v difference makes no difference and it is fine to run without a transformer, while some say the transformer is necessary. Also, does anyone here have any experience with the 323S driving the 009? It seems like it would be the cheapest decent option as a stand in whilst recovering from a 009 purchase, until being able to afford something good from the used section. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back