The Stax Thread III
Sep 18, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #6,136 of 25,850

No.  The AKM4399 in the Bifrost is too harsh for the SR-009's for me.  The NFB-15 sounds fine, I'm going to have to inspect some of the R2R stuff...

So what DAC would you recommend?

I'm working on that same issue right now.  I can tell you that the uberfrost is too harsh for the SR-009 (with the SRM-1/MK2 Pro, which is VERY similar to the 323S from what I understand).

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #6,137 of 25,850

The KGST is more of a SR009 amp...the KGSSHV/BHSE would be more of an SR007 amp. But as I mentioned...YMMV.

The KGSSHV is actually more of an all rounder IMO compared to the KGST.  The BHSE with the right tubes is quite sublime with the SR009.  The KGST doesn't quite have enough the resolving power and sheer sense of power compare to the KGSSHVs & BHSE.  However, it is a very sweet sounding amplifier.

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #6,138 of 25,850

I'm working on that same issue right now.  I can tell you that the uberfrost is too harsh for the SR-009 (with the SRM-1/MK2 Pro, which is VERY similar to the 323S from what I understand).

Is the situation same if I switch to a 006tS amp?

If yes, what DAC is recommended for SR-009 with 006tS amp?

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #6,139 of 25,850

Is the situation same if I switch to a 006tS amp?

If yes, what DAC is recommended for SR-009 with 006tS amp?

I don't know about that amp.  I have no idea how it pairs with DACs and the SR-009

Sep 18, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #6,140 of 25,850
Thank you @manywelps
------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys, could you please provide me with opinions on the SR-009 with a 323S vs with a 006tS? I am currently in the midst of deciding between the two. Thank you.

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #6,141 of 25,850

The treble is so bright it's on the edge of annoying.  It give me listening fatigue after an hour or two if I'm at normal levels.

I'm really confused because the ESP-950 doesn't do it, but the innerfidelity charts show the ESP-950 as having a treble spike, and the SR-009 not.

Edit: It's been bothering me so much over the past 3 days, I just swapped out my uberfrost for my NFB-15.  The WM8741 is one of my favorite DACs for being smooth and non-fatiguing.

What amp are you using? The lower Stax amps can sound bright with the 009. I find many DS DACs sound edgy in the treble anyway. Can you hook up your front end to a speaker system? Turn it up loud and see how it sounds, I would guess you have trouble upstream...

My 009s are perfect on my Audio Note DAC, and perfect on my friends K-01. Basically putting a 5K phone which is comparable to a 50K speaker on the front of a low end front end will not be a good outcome. Better to go with the (masking) 007s if you want to stay with that front end.

IMO you need a 5K DAC at least and a better amp if a Stax amp.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #6,142 of 25,850
Astrostar is right on. Don't people do their due diligence and read any more? All you need to know has been said over and over in the forums for years now. It's not hidden like Hillary's emails. You don't need to subpoena these posts. It's not that hard.

People need to read these forums and do some research. It seems obvious they have not read about this here before asking or buying something. Spending half a day or so plowing through the last few years of the Stax threads here and elsewhere (at least read Tyll's epic 009 test) would save a lot of time and money.

The strong consensus is that the Stax amps do not work well with the 009 (or the 007 for that matter) and can make the 009 sound shrill up top and anemic down low and flat in the middle. I keep reading about people trying this or that Stax amp and then saying things don't sound good. And then they incredulously keep asking about getting some other type of Stax amp. And they the continue down the same rabbit hole and get into more trouble and then complain about Stax phones. Give it up.

You will clearly get an idea of what to get and what not to get for the Stax phones. Basic reading comprehension will make the consensus obvious. There are a some outliers among the posts but that's always true. But look at the (vast) majority opinion for the truth. Look for people who have heard the major players in stat amps and take them seriously. There's an abundance of posts by experienced people like this.

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #6,143 of 25,850
I don't know about that amp.  I have no idea how it pairs with DACs and the SR-009

Just get the 323s and save up to get the kgsshv or kgst. The 323s is a great amp for the current going price. You can get the 717 as well but why not just save a little more and grab the kgss. You can find several kgss amps now for less than $1500 and that's a good deal.

Sep 18, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #6,146 of 25,850
  Is a non-HV KGSS worth it over a 717?

Yes, the KGSS use better parts than Stax SRM-717 as well as better transformer.  The 717 is a dark sounding amp while the KGSS is very neutral.  I personally don't think the KGSS and 717 can drive the SR007 MKI optimally.  The KGSS should do a very good job at driving the SR009 however.

Quote:

Or is an HV worth it over a normal KGSS.  They're understandably difficult to audition.

I personally prefer the HV over the regular KGSS.  I never own the KGSS but had auditioned it with the SR-007 MKI and thought that the combo was good but not great.  The KGSS still doesn't quite have enough voltage swing to drive the SRM-007 MKI properly.  The KGSSHVs that I've tried all did a better job at driving both the SR009 & SR007.  

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #6,147 of 25,850

Is a non-HV KGSS worth it over a 717?

Yes, the KGSS use better parts than Stax SRM-717 as well as better transformer.  The 717 is a dark sounding amp while the KGSS is very neutral.  I personally don't think the KGSS and 717 can drive the SR007 MKI optimally.  The KGSS should do a very good job at driving the SR009 however.

Quote:

Or is an HV worth it over a normal KGSS.  They're understandably difficult to audition.

I personally prefer the HV over the regular KGSS.  I never own the KGSS but had auditioned it with the SR-007 MKI and thought that the combo was good but not great.  The KGSS still doesn't quite have enough voltage swing to drive the SRM-007 MKI properly.  The KGSSHVs that I've tried all did a better job at driving both the SR009 & SR007.  

What are fair price ranges for new and used KGSS and KGSS-HV's?

I see used KGSS ("clones") below $1000.

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #6,148 of 25,850
  The KGSSHV is actually more of an all rounder IMO compared to the KGST.  The BHSE with the right tubes is quite sublime with the SR009.  The KGST doesn't quite have enough the resolving power and sheer sense of power compare to the KGSSHVs & BHSE.  However, it is a very sweet sounding amplifier.

Out of curiosity, is the KGST you are referring to the 350v or 400v version or both?

I only have the 400v built by headinclouds and it's synergizes very well with the current 007a's.  

HS

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #6,149 of 25,850
Mine is 350V Sam, so the 400V may make all the difference.  Yes, Jeff's built is quite awesome.  I wish I went for one when I had the chance.  I now want to get the KGSSHV Carbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back