The Stax Thread III
Sep 7, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #6,017 of 25,569
As I wrote else where, at CanJan London last week, I have been able to listen for the first time to BHSE+Stax009 and.... WHAOOOWWW !

This was for me the " best sound of the show" and may be the only combo that will justify me buying a complete new system Amp + headphone

I already have an EddyCurrent 445 tube amp + 3 TOL Headphones (TH900/Ed5/lcd-X) and I find that my EC445 lack musicality and warm because it is too analytical

but... the strange thing is that the BHSE+009 seems to be even more precise while... being able to also provide musicability !?? Is it possible ? Am I under the " new toy syndrome" :) ?

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #6,018 of 25,569
One thing I note is that he is using a power-regenerator. I tried one on my Stax system a long time ago and it made the SR007 go from laid back to bright and fatiguing. Heaven knows what it would do the the SR009. It had a similar affect on dynamics at the time. I never went back to a regenerator again and just use a passive Hydra power conditioner.

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #6,019 of 25,569
Nope, that's a combination only the 009 with high level amplification (BHSE qualifies, of course) can pull off convincingly. And it wasn't new toy syndrome for me either; it lasts. You should sell off some dynamic gear :)

As I wrote else where, at CanJan London last week, I have been able to listen for the first time to BHSE+Stax009 and.... WHAOOOWWW !

This was for me the " best sound of the show" and may be the only combo that will justify me buying a complete new system Amp + headphone

I already have an EddyCurrent 445 tube amp + 3 TOL Headphones (TH900/Ed5/lcd-X) and I find that my EC445 lack musicality and warm because it is too analytical

but... the strange thing is that the BHSE+009 seems to be even more precise while... being able to also provide musicability !?? Is it possible ? Am I under the " new toy syndrome" :) ?

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #6,020 of 25,569
Sep 7, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #6,021 of 25,569
Bit of an update for those interested. I have been enjoying more hours on the latest Stax 5170 system - the 507 Earspeakers with the 006ts Kimik Energiser. 

Not sure what has happened, but I think I have experienced them 'coming on song'. It's an absolutely astounding system tonight. I was enquiring earlier about upgrading the 507 to 009, but I'm going to stay with this system for a while, as it's only a few weeks old and it just keeps getting better. I have owned Audeze LCD-X, Grado throughout the range, HD800, and Stax in the past – 507 with a 323s, and also the 009 / 007tii Kimik system for a few weeks on a long term demo. Wasn't sure, so I didn't stay with them, and kept the 507 323s for a while. 

Anyway back to the 5170 system and the way it's sounding tonight, it's the probably the best I have heard to date (except the 009/007tii, but I think it would be a close contest!)

I'm playing lossless files on the iMac, via two DACs - the Chord Hugo, and the mighty but little Halide DAC HD, one of my all time faves. The Hugo probably has the edge though. 

Glad to be back with a desktop headphone system, namely Stax!

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #6,022 of 25,569
redface.gif

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #6,023 of 25,569
  Another +1 to nerdling! I thought too it seemed like was parroting Spritzer. I also wondered about the pairing with the KGSS special reviewers edition. My KGSSHV is almost done but I have a 717 which is based on the design. I wouldn't it's bright, but it's ... a bit too much reality? The 009 is a bit like that too sometimes. Anyhow maybe the pairing wasn't the best, but he claims to have spectrum analyzer ears. 

Edit: from the wall of Fame

I read from Spritzer the KGSS is a bit behind a good KGSShv. It is supposed to be a warm sounding amp, bit like the 717. I can however confirm the 717 is well behind the KGSShv, that amp really kicks in the bass and has more dynamics. It is also smoother and has a cleaner treble. Going back to the 007s, I have heard the MK1s and have a recent 007A which is better than my previous 007 2012 MK2.5 Black version, and my 009s kill all those phones. I am sorry, it is miles ahead on all fronts including bass depth and detail / slam and treble detail. midrange realism. I don't agree the 009 is bright or harsh, or has a 'rough' top end needing taming (Spritzer quote). I don't find any of that in it at all. My DAC is an Audio Note R-2R tubed unit, which has great extension. Spritzers DAC is an MSB Analogue with (I think) a Quad USB input and separate power base. No idea if that is relevant, but I disagree on the 009 summary. To me the 007 is weaker in these aspects compared to the 009s:

1. Soundstage width
2. Bass output (yes it has good bass but it is slow and overblown around 80-120Hz)
3. Has a thickness to the lower midrange and sounds a bit boxy, as though the supporting frames are resonating
4. Is recessed or laid back, from a distance, veiled, dark, asleep (which can be suppressed by high energy dance music for example, but compounded by rock or acoustic music, i.e. loss of energy and ambiance)
5. Treble extension, strangely the very upper treble is ok, it is the middle treble that seems to drop to -3db or more in output.
6. Can be quite forgiving a specially on some bright DS DACs, can sound samey or boring as well.

To fully experience the 009s it needs a great amp even though it is easier to drive, it's microscopic detail and depth reveals weaknesses upstream. Would you listen to 50K speakers on a 1K amp or DAC? A great DAC is required IMO, or fatigue and a cold / technical presentation will result.

The best sound I have ever heard was at David61 with his K-01, BHSE and 009s. My system of Audio Note DAC, KGSShv and 009s is very close but has a different flavour. I can live with either.

Back to the 007s, it is still a great headphone, is great value IMO and can cover some warts in a front end. It unfortunately is power hungry so presents another problem, and ultimately has limits. To get beyond those, you need the 009s IMO.

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #6,024 of 25,569
I wish people would stop comparing the 007 and 009 side-by-side. The 007 will always lose. Almost no one does this comparison volume-matched. From one amp, the less-sensitive 007 runs quieter, which always sounds worse. Even if done with two amps (or a rare one with dual volume controls), brighter sounds more impressive in a brief session. At the very least, give your brain a few minutes to adjust before comparing the same tracks. Better yet, give each headphone a week.

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #6,025 of 25,569
For me, the 009 is great because I don't hear the bass (or the upper highs for that matter) as a separate entity at all. Each musical object just has its own high and low component, and those highs and lows have their own character. In other phones,
the bass is fine and tight and tuneful but is not as attached to the musical components generating them as the 009 does. It's more of a separate bass foundation underlying the music in other phones. 

Sometimes multiple instruments on the 009 (like a drum or a bass guitar) each have their own type of bass and I can hear each one with its own bass character simultaneously. This is a real trip.
That is why I like the 009 bass better than even the HE1000 bass.

I don't think many speakers achieve this either (perhaps Kharmas can, or Quads). Only the SR009 to my ears can do this, and they can do this even with a moderate-priced KGSS-HV amp. 
(I even heard this with my Stax 007t2 amp, but it was not at all as controlled or sweet in the highs as the KG or as well integrated or deep in the bass as the fine KG.)

And this is all solid state using an EMM dac driving the KGSShv(mini).
And just to add here, there is no fatiguing brightness. I don't feel it is bright at all, just neutral and natural (and I hate brightness when I hear it). I sold off my R10s (bass light) because they were bright in vocals.

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #6,026 of 25,569
From what I could see (or at least what was reported) the main thing was frequency response, like his ears are a spectrum analyzer. No mention of other factors which might or might not have had a role in his review. 

The main thing for me is probably the transient speed which gives micro detail. Microphones have small diaphragms and low mass and are typically placed close to the musicians - closer than an audience member. So you'd expect that all that detail is getting recorded. Yet I've not heard a system to date that could really extract it except Stax. A really large ensemble, such as in the Damnation of Faust/Berlioz has always been muddied, but most the Stax headphones pull everything out (the 007 is one of the least in this respect). The strings don't get smeared, the mens chorus is clear and so on. 

My point is here is the problem with reviews - I design spectrum analyzers, I don't want to listen like I'm one, but since he's a recording engineer I guess he thinks that way and reviewed that way. Something to take into account. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #6,027 of 25,569
I own both at the moment.  I think people should hear a 2015 production of the 007 mk2 (Black).  They do sound different and to me better than the 007A and a older 007 mk2 I owned before. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #6,028 of 25,569
Hello, I need your advices.
I have 4 stax amps. I'm currently going to sell off them 3 of 4.
I notice tube stax amps kill resolution and airyness. so I will sell tubes 007 and 006.
but i can't decide which SS amp should I sell off between 727A and 323S.
Should I sell 727??

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #6,029 of 25,569
keep the 727 and add feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Back