The Stax Thread III
Sep 6, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #5,987 of 25,626

No problem, and no offense taken. You are right. However, for newcomers into the Stax world, it can seem as if the only way to go is all-in with multi-thousand dollar amps. Sometimes I feel I have to emphasize that this is not the case, and that it is possible to get tremendous enjoyment with budget amps/systems. Often, when people looking to start a Stax journey come here, the discussion soon escalates into the same thing, that is: 'buy a KGSSHV'. That's not very helpful either, and can be discouraging.

My rebuttal would be, this is the Summit. Barring that, really - Armaegis is coming from HE-6 off taps, which is really quite ******* good. 
The KGST or a HV can be had for $2k - not far off from a 727. It's not like we're all ranting about how good the $6k BHSE is comparatively.

And more importantly as has been hashed before this isn't 2012 where the HV, for example was priced at $3-5k, IIRC. Times change the Stax stuff
is ok from a performance perspective but today, it's a poor value. IMO.

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #5,988 of 25,626
However, for newcomers into the Stax world, it can seem as if the only way to go is all-in with multi-thousand dollar amps. Sometimes I feel I have to emphasize that this is not the case, and that it is possible to get tremendous enjoyment with budget amps/systems. Often, when people looking to start a Stax journey come here, the discussion soon escalates into the same thing, that is: 'buy a KGSSHV'. That's not very helpful either, and can be discouraging.

Couldn't agree more, I don't like how much bashing the Stax amps get, and much people modify them to 'improve' the obviously bad design. Sometimes hard to find a stock Stax unit that some guy hasn't 'improved'. 

OK, Stax goes for an unregulated power supply. Is that a bad thing? Why? A regulated supply presents an extremely high impedance, effectively removing the power supply from the circuit. Is that always good? What about a circlotron design, such as the one Kevin just revealed. This is SOTA and the very latest in Stax amplifier design and not for the inexperienced, but this design has the power supply as a direct part of the output circuit. Clearly there's no reason to say that a high impedance PS is the only way to make an amplifier. 

Sonically what I hear is that an unregulated supply gives a nice looseness and warmth to the music. Stax are 'hyper-reality', and a Stax on a 717 is super-hyper reality. A Lambda Signature on a KGSS is 'super-hyper-trans' reality. I swear I'm hearing the microphone and recording chain as much as the music. Get my drift? I think a case could be made that total accuracy isn't always what you want. 

And so to taste ... I like variety so have the various Stax amps and headphones in my collection, along with the Mafia lineup. They're all good, but not all the time in my book. 

2 cents -

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #5,990 of 25,626
Rayzilla, you are almost there.  I have the HD 800 (and $$$ balanced tube amp, with NOS Ken Rads, Tungsol 5687s, Cardas Clear XLR,  etc.) and by the time you make it sing to approach the SR-009, you would have spent a lot of money.  The KGSS-something (around $2K) plus SR-009 ($2600 at PJ) plus a source of your choice (I use a $299 TEAC UD-301, with Amazon rebate) will be a much cheaper proposition.  I acquired most of my dynamic gear 10 years ago.  If I were to build an endgame setup right now, I will head straight to the SR-009/KG Amp and forget head-fi.  Wash the dishes, get an extra job, take care of the kids, whatever it takes, to get a decent amp now.  Much cheaper in the long run.

My 1 dollar on the topic 
wink_face.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #5,991 of 25,626
The SR009 is extremely amp-dependent. It can sound like it's screaming at you or has missing bass with the wrong amp (or even the wrong source). You will think the phone has some malfunction with the wrong chain driving it. I would have to agree with what Cory said a couple of hours ago here:
"Without hearing the 009 or even some KG designed amplifiers I feel
it's not very productive or helpful."

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #5,992 of 25,626

No problem, and no offense taken. You are right. However, for newcomers into the Stax world, it can seem as if the only way to go is all-in with multi-thousand dollar amps. Sometimes I feel I have to emphasize that this is not the case, and that it is possible to get tremendous enjoyment with budget amps/systems. Often, when people looking to start a Stax journey come here, the discussion soon escalates into the same thing, that is: 'buy a KGSSHV'. That's not very helpful either, and can be discouraging.

Why would you think you could drive a multi-thousand dollar state of the art phone that rests on 40 or 50 years of research and development with a cheap amp? An amp is very complex combination of art and technology, and two or three thousand for such an amp is totally appropriate. If it's out of your budget, that's a different issue. And dynamics/orthos have come a long way and you get really fine sound with an Ether or something else, but there is still something that sets Stax apart, especially the 009. Whether the higher cost is worth it is a philosophical question that has no objective answer. You must decide that in your own personal value system.

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #5,993 of 25,626
5 Mohm doesn't have to be exact. I used 20 Mohm in my early DIY amp with no problem.

Hmm, I think the only ones I've got on hand at the moment are 1/8W 1Mohm... good enough?

Poked around in my box of supplies, all I've got are some 1Mohm resistors. Is that high enough? or is this one of those "the higher the better" kind of things?

My local shops don't have anything higher than 1M
confused.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #5,994 of 25,626

Poked around in my box of supplies, all I've got are some 1Mohm resistors. Is that high enough? or is this one of those "the higher the better" kind of things?

My local shops don't have anything higher than 1M
confused.gif

When dealing with high voltage circuits keep an eye on the margin of safety. The resistor should be rated at least 700V and 1/2W, this takes into account line surges and transients.

The resistor should come from a known source with known specs as the margin for error is less with HV circuits

If you have space in your box, the Caddock MG721 5M will do the job, not cheap but they are among the best.
http://www.ebay.com/itm//161532736132

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #5,995 of 25,626
  The SR009 is extremely amp-dependent. It can sound like it's screaming at you or has missing bass with the wrong amp (or even the wrong source). You will think the phone has some malfunction with the wrong chain driving it.

Agreed, this goes to the 009s reputation of being ruthless in revealing the flaws in the upstream chain, especially the DAC.
Same with the HD800 except it can be quite rude about the whole thing.

Once the flaws are addressed the two are more similar than different.

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #5,996 of 25,626

When dealing with high voltage circuits keep an eye on the margin of safety. The resistor should be rated at least 700V and 1/2W, this takes into account line surges and transients.

The resistor should come from a known source with known specs as the margin for error is less with HV circuits

If you have space in your box, the Caddock MG721 5M will do the job, not cheap but they are among the best.
http://www.ebay.com/itm//161532736132

Seems decent, but argh I'd pay more for shipping than the actual components...

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #5,997 of 25,626

Seems decent, but argh I'd pay more for shipping than the actual components...

It is a decent cost even if you have to pay $30 in shipping.

Mouser (available in Canada on special order) sells these, click to find out on a similar MG721 (...if you dare
bigsmile_face.gif
)

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Caddock/MG721-500K-1/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu61qfTUdNhG%2fWFB3%252b%252b97U4B94cTNPUNtNjbvxQqwY%2fWQ%3d%3d

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #5,998 of 25,626

My local shops don't have anything higher than 1M :confused:

The whole purpose of having the resistor here is for limiting the current going through. In case of accident, the resistor can save your life. :)

If you have a few 1M resisters, why don't you series them together to get the value closer to 5M? Yes, the resistor should be rated for the working voltage though.

Wachara C.

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #5,999 of 25,626
I guess I just want to know how much to limit current by to reach "safe" (whatever that may be) levels. I suppose since the WEE doesn't even have anything, that even 1M is better than nothing. BUT... the ones I have are only rated for 1/8W. D'oh, if I need to withstand 700V then I'm at almost half a watt there. I could string maybe 4 of them in a row... hmm...ugly and crowded but it could work
blink.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #6,000 of 25,626

... However, for newcomers into the Stax world, it can seem as if the only way to go is all-in with multi-thousand dollar amps. Sometimes I feel I have to emphasize that this is not the case, and that it is possible to get tremendous enjoyment with budget amps/systems. Often, when people looking to start a Stax journey come here, the discussion soon escalates into the same thing, that is: 'buy a KGSSHV'. That's not very helpful either, and can be discouraging.

I understand this position because it reflects my situation right now. I want to get into the world of STAX but unfortunately my budget is limited to about $3,500. After my experience with the HD 800 and seeing what it can do with low and mid level amps, I would like to go in that direction again with STAX. After trying many other high end HP after I had the HD 800 for a little while, I confirmed to myself that I really enjoy a lot of detail, a lot of treble and sound stage. I find that these are the most important aspects that I require before I would even go any further. I found that I did not like HPs like the HE1000, LCD 2 and some other high end HPs because they lacked one, two or all three of these key elements.

With this experience, I would like to start with the 009 and work my way up with the amps.

All I've heard are the SRM-1, SRM-323S and SRD-7 but between those alone there is so much variety in sound signatures. To limit it to one amp is crazy.

I think I want to try adding one of these earspeaker adaptors too so that I can use them with various amps that I have for my HD 800. Which one is recommended or best bang for the buck to use with the 009?

My rebuttal would be, this is the Summit. Barring that, really - Armaegis is coming from HE-6 off taps, which is really quite ******* good. 
The KGST or a HV can be had for $2k - not far off from a 727. It's not like we're all ranting about how good the $6k BHSE is comparatively.

And more importantly as has been hashed before this isn't 2012 where the HV, for example was priced at $3-5k, IIRC. Times change the Stax stuff
is ok from a performance perspective but today, it's a poor value. IMO.

Cory, thanks for your input too. Now having heard the HD 800 with some nice amps like the EC BA and Bryston BHA-1, I have an idea of the difference one could expect between low and high end amplifiers on TOTL HPs. I will keep this in mind when I get the 323s and dream about the KG amps and BHSE. I have seen some nice deals on KGSSHV amps. I really wish I could get one of them now but I will just have to enjoy the journey starting with the 323s for now. If only your amp was 220v and shipping wasn't going to be a ton of bucks, I would like to consider your amp that you mentioned.
wink.gif
And thanks as always for your advice.

Couldn't agree more, I don't like how much bashing the Stax amps get, and much people modify them to 'improve' the obviously bad design. Sometimes hard to find a stock Stax unit that some guy hasn't 'improved'. 

.... And so to taste ... I like variety so have the various Stax amps and headphones in my collection, along with the Mafia lineup. They're all good, but not all the time in my book. 

2 cents -

I like a lot of variety too, which is one of the reasons I am even considering going the STAX route because I am very content with the HD 800 as it is. I think it does everything so well and I haven't been fair to it in terms of the amps that I have been pairing with it. I was about to pair it with something nice but STAX has nixed that plan.
duggehsmile.png
I see myself adding some mid level STAX HPs to my 'collection' just for the variety too. Against my wife's wishes, I like to collect things too.
redface.gif

Rayzilla, you are almost there.  I have the HD 800 (and $$$ balanced tube amp, with NOS Ken Rads, Tungsol 5687s, Cardas Clear XLR,  etc.) and by the time you make it sing to approach the SR-009, you would have spent a lot of money.  The KGSS-something (around $2K) plus SR-009 ($2600 at PJ) plus a source of your choice (I use a $299 TEAC UD-301, with Amazon rebate) will be a much cheaper proposition.  I acquired most of my dynamic gear 10 years ago.  If I were to build an endgame setup right now, I will head straight to the SR-009/KG Amp and forget head-fi.  Wash the dishes, get an extra job, take care of the kids, whatever it takes, to get a decent amp now.  Much cheaper in the long run.

My 1 dollar on the topic 
wink_face.gif

PATB, I couldn't say it any better. Going straight to the 009 this time around, just not with the KG stuff yet. Slowly but surely, I will get there. Thanks for the inspirational words. Now I really can't wait for the 009 and 323s to get here. It's in transit through Guangzhou before coming to Hong Kong. I was hoping that it would come directly to Hong Kong since we have so many ports here. Should be here soon and I will let you know when it does. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back