The Stax Thread III
Sep 7, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #6,002 of 25,626
Yeah just saw that to, all his Big Sound reviews are interesting as they are blind testing.
I for one like 007 way more than 009 and somewhat agree with him, but couldn't afford keeping Stax,
So I'm at HD800 again, could be worse :wink:

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #6,003 of 25,626
007 doesn't beat the 009 in my book - well I'd not rank them but just say they do things differently. Otherwise I completely agree with him on equalization, philosophically theres no reason not to equalize, and if it improves the frequency response then where's the problem? The trick is just getting the right eq. 

Quote from the video 
"OK guys, if you like the (009), then you must be deaf"

lol ... OK

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #6,004 of 25,626
It makes sense that he would prefer the 007 over the 009. He is a mastering engineer after all, the SR009 is the HD800 of electrostats in my experience. 007 sounds tonally very true to life with a bit of EQ.

What I find funny in the video is that, tyll has quite extensive write ups where he worships the SR009, and is frankly quite harsh on the SR007. But he is there in agreement with everything mr katz is saying...

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #6,005 of 25,626
Positive 'murican style
biggrin.gif

Ali

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #6,006 of 25,626
I agree with, "What I find funny in the video is that, tyll has quite extensive write ups where he worships the SR009, and is frankly quite harsh on the SR007. But he is there in agreement with everything mr katz is saying..."

Hmm.

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #6,007 of 25,626
Going by his rankings it's clear Katz prefers a darker sounding HP.  I agree with much of what he says, especially regarding EQ, but his comments on the SR-009 really don't make sense to me.  He briefly said something about it sounding "bright and thin" but then lauds the Ether, which is brighter and thinner sounding.  I have a feeling he's parroting spritzer's early comments on the SR-009, especially after hearing his comments on the KGSSHV and 007 spritzer mod.  It's hard to imagine a professional recording engineer who has all those HPs in front of him and thinks the 009 is tonally off.  I know LFF here does remastering work and holds the frequency response of the SR-009 in high regard, and I'm in agreement with him - it's one of the best there is in this regard.  The Smyth guys and every measurement I've ever seen are in agreement as well.  Good video though.

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #6,008 of 25,626
  Going by his rankings it's clear Katz prefers a darker sounding HP.  I agree with much of what he says, especially regarding EQ, but his comments on the SR-009 really don't make sense to me.  He briefly said something about it sounding "bright and thin" but then lauds the Ether, which is brighter and thinner sounding.  I have a feeling he's parroting spritzer's early comments on the SR-009, especially after hearing his comments on the KGSSHV and 007 spritzer mod.  It's hard to imagine a professional recording engineer who has all those HPs in front of him and thinks the 009 is tonally off.  I know LFF here does remastering work and holds the frequency response of the SR-009 in high regard, and I'm in agreement with him - it's one of the best there is in this regard.  The Smyth guys and every measurement I've ever seen are in agreement as well.  Good video though.

Wasn't the test blind?

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #6,009 of 25,626
Sep 7, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #6,010 of 25,626

Agreed that he clearly has a preference for a darker signature. I'm a little curious though about the source used and perhaps the possibility of unit variations.

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #6,011 of 25,626
Another +1 to nerdling! I thought too it seemed like was parroting Spritzer. I also wondered about the pairing with the KGSS special reviewers edition. My KGSSHV is almost done but I have a 717 which is based on the design. I wouldn't it's bright, but it's ... a bit too much reality? The 009 is a bit like that too sometimes. Anyhow maybe the pairing wasn't the best, but he claims to have spectrum analyzer ears. 

Edit: from the wall of Fame

Simply put, this is the world's best headphone.

Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-open#SEMMy3XvIJRrCkBO.99

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #6,013 of 25,626
  I'd be curious to read any of these comments from Tyll. Any link would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-stax-sr-007#56CCMRPFoxjozrxK.97

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-stax-sr-009#dCtGHeHW1Y347MgQ.97

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #6,014 of 25,626
Thanks uchihaitachi!!
It's funny, but Tyll's comments on the 007 and 009 mirror my own impressions closely. (I had the same 007 version he mentions for several years, but only with a Stax amp, though.)
I also recommend anyone browsing here read Tyll's Stax comments linked above. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back