The Stax Thread III
Jun 23, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #5,236 of 25,627
  Because they can both drive the same headphone.

If one barely does the job and the other does a supurb job, it proves one is better than the other.

Although, it must be said that some tin-eared tone-deaf and totally disinterested listeners may not be able to discern any difference between toe two.

Hearing acuity and interest in better reproduction of sound are not universally equal in the human species.

Would you consider a comparison between an Asgard and a GS-X or Ragnarok meaningful then?

Just because someone posts something positive about an Audiovalve product does not automatically make them a shill.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #5,239 of 25,627

I have 717,727,007mk2 ,323 i hope you will have the opportunity to hear somwhere Verto and make an objective judgement.I am not interested who has done Verto only the component or source is important.

I've actually heard the Verto. I don't feel the need to bash it (feeling it's not very good,) but all you fanboys are on a mission to shill it to the top. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #5,243 of 25,627
I haven't heard an SRM-727, but have a 717 and 007t with both 007 and 009, and saying the Verto trumps Stax amps doesn't mean a lot IMO. Now if the Verto trumped an SRM-T2, ( although I've never heard a T2 ) then that would probably be a different matter.

Why should a $600-700 transformer box be compared to an $10K dedicated electrostatic amp?

I didn't think that much of the SRM-007t + 717 especially driving the 007, which is why I said a Verto trumping those Stax amps didn't mean a lot IMO, which is also why I added IF it trumped a T2 then that would be a different matter.

It's good those that have a Verto are enjoying it, but that's what they should be doing, and let others with different amps enjoy theirs.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #5,244 of 25,627
Quick question for your stax experts... I've been gone a very, very long time lol. 

I just picked up an HE60 for the second time, and I have a SRM1 on the way. This will have to do until I can order a BHSE or Wes (leaning towards the WES). I'm also thinking of picking up a pair of 007 mk1s. Would the stax amp be able to decently drive them for the meantime? 

Also for anyone that's owned or heard the HE60 and the MK1, are these somewhat complimentary? If they are relatively similar, I don't see the point of owning both--although it seems they may be a darker phone? I've been reading up on as much as I can, but because they are both stats and discontinued, I'm not finding much..

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #5,245 of 25,627
Thinker, is the verto even better than the malvalve (which you claimed was the best amp in the world here )?

Quote:
  Quick question for your stax experts... I've been gone a very, very long time lol. 

I just picked up an HE60 for the second time, and I have a SRM1 on the way. This will have to do until I can order a BHSE or Wes (leaning towards the WES). I'm also thinking of picking up a pair of 007 mk1s. Would the stax amp be able to decently drive them for the meantime? 

Also for anyone that's owned or heard the HE60 and the MK1, are these somewhat complimentary? If they are relatively similar, I don't see the point of owning both--although it seems they may be a darker phone? I've been reading up on as much as I can, but because they are both stats and discontinued, I'm not finding much..

They're really different headphones and I think they'd compliment each other quite well.  The HE60 is like a faster, less veiled version of the HD600 and the SR-007 is like a faster, less veiled version of the LCD-2.  I'd highly recommend getting the BHSE over the WES.  The SRM1 should do fine in the meantime. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #5,246 of 25,627

Looks beautiful, and it looks like a Megatron?

Where did you get the case/how did you do it? I have a Megatron in progress and the chassis is (as always) the issue. 

by hand, chassis punches

HE60 is a nice headphone to have around, I prefer it to the lamda series because of how it handles mids

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #5,248 of 25,627
Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thinker, is the verto even better than the malvalve (which you claimed was the best amp in the world here )?

That was two years ago, Malvalve was slightly better than Stax amp (007) it had nice soundstage otherwise typical tube amp.Verto has wide tubelike soundstage with blackest background (no tube noise or AC) dead silent and allows to hear better inner dimensions or distance between instruments especially deepness. Verto is sweet and liquid and has complete absence of harsh or hot treble wich is good for SR-009 and Lambda Pro signature.I can't hear any areas wich is pronounced from bass to highs this is not the case with many tube amps Verto is linear but it has tube like signature it's a nice mix.Verto is more dynamic than Malvalve or like a typical tube amp it has Solid State dynamics and speed for instance guitar strings are lightning fast and when they pop up from black ground you get the real feel.Vertos soundstage is like a perfect cube all directions are equal you hear it on SR-009 better than on Lambdas.I tried different amps with Verto on reverse config. and there exists minimal difference don't know if it is caused by the feeding current.On stringed instruments you hear the complite doppler effect symmetrical waves without blockage or bias in notes this is the case where most amps fail .When hearing Verto first time you will notice at first the open wide soundstage and secondly the sweetness of tones.

Verto
Dopplereffectstationary.gif
and on most tube amps the wave isn't symmetrical

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #5,249 of 25,627
@ thinker,

I've only read the odd comment made about the Verto so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't an intergrated amp or some kind of amp need to be used along with the Verto for it to work, and if so wouldn't that other amp have an effect on the SQ coming from the verto ?

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #5,250 of 25,627
@ thinker,

I've only read the odd comment made about the Verto so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't an intergrated amp or some kind of amp need to be used along with the Verto for it to work, and if so wouldn't that other amp have an effect on the SQ coming from the verto ?

The Verto has an odd headphone plug in front where you can hook it up with amps with headphone output and take current of it and drive headphones but this plug configuration i don't recommend for Stat phones,i think Eric did use this plug.You have to have at least an amp/intergrated wich output is minimal 30W up to 60W to drive Staxes to good levels.The connection for amps (reverse) are speaker tabs and the Verto automatically adjust the current needed for Staxes but Verto needs juice... if i understood right.There should be no influence how the amp sounds you will only "hear" Verto,... again if i understood right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back