The Stax Thread III
Jun 24, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #5,252 of 25,569

They're really different headphones and I think they'd compliment each other quite well.  The HE60 is like a faster, less veiled version of the HD600 and the SR-007 is like a faster, less veiled version of the LCD-2.  I'd highly recommend getting the BHSE over the WES.  The SRM1 should do fine in the meantime. 

Thanks for the note. That definitely helps. I've owned the HE60 before and I know for a fact it's the best headphone I've ever heard for my ears. I think a darker sounding headphone could compliment, but I've read that the 007's may lack a little punch/excitement? And yea, I've read almost any and everything on the wes and BHSE, here and elsewhere. If I only keep the HE60, I'm going to go with the WES, but if I get the 007 as well, I'll probably go the BHSE route--just not to keen on the year plus weight. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #5,253 of 25,569
Trying to decide between a mint SR-007 MK1 and a new SR-007A from PJ. 
Both around the same price, when factoring shipping and everything. 

I've heard that the MKII changes the tuning for the worst, but it fixes up alot of issues that might affect longevity, like cable strain relief and whatnot. 

Interested in hearing your opinions on this. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #5,254 of 25,569

I've got both (the mk1 is a early carbon box). I like the current production/mk2 better. More well defined and balanced, the early ones are rather like the Lambda Nova in that they're warm and fuzzy. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #5,255 of 25,569
I've got both (the mk1 is a early carbon box). I like the current production/mk2 better. More well defined and balanced, the early ones are rather like the Lambda Nova in that they're warm and fuzzy. 

Hey Dan, thinking you might want to try new pads on your mk1 as that is the first I heard of the mk1 being compared to any lambda. I get that we all hear differently, so who knows? Personally, I have trouble choosing a favorite between the 009 and the mk1, but as between the mk1 and mk2, the mk1 is the more balanced and well defined (that said, you can't go wrong with the mk2 as it is clearly a totl headphone).

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #5,256 of 25,569
thinking you might want to try new pads on your mk1 as that is the first I heard of the mk1 being compared to any lambda. 

I don't mean to really compare it to a Lambda as they're obviously quite different. What I mean is that across the line I hear the SQ move along several axis. One of them is warm<->clear. I think it makes sense, there's only so much they can control here and it's not like they can twiddle a dial to "tune in" some kind of tone (another axis I hear is fuzzy<->detailed). 

At any rate I'd characterize the Nova as the warmest of the Lambdas*, and the 07mk1 as the warmest of the Omegas. On the other end, the Lambda Signature Pro being the clearest (or even more the 4070 if you want to call it a Lambda), with the 009 the clearest of the Omega line. 

* The modern production Lambda (at least the 307 I have) is also quite warm, but in a different way, a more punchy and alive sort of way

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #5,257 of 25,569
Hi All
I finally went ahead and ordered the 507s from Price Japan to complete my second system. I live in Spain but spend some time in the UK and I don't want to drive over with my 009s and the KGSShv every year (all the vibrations and temperature hikes in the car).

So my second system will be: MacBook Pro and Audirvana+ (no iTunes) into Metrum Octave MKII DAC (NOS sampling) and a trusty SRM-717 driving the 507s. All my music is in AIFF format as RedBook resolution 44.1. The little Metrum DAC is no slouch but not as good as my Audio Note DAC. I would recommend the Metrum to folk looking for a smooth and realistic sounding DAC in the sub £1000 category.

Way back I have had various Lambdas, the last one being a Lambda Nova Signature. The sound of the latter was very transparent and airy, but it had limited bass power and the mounting of the drivers was a bit suspect. It was however IMO better than dynamics at the time for the price as I major on ambiance and detail rather than boosted bass response.

Anyway, here's hoping the current model 507 is better as regards construction and bass response.

I'll report back later...

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #5,260 of 25,569
So I'm on no. 5 in listening experience, not too bad for the money ...

Jun 27, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #5,261 of 25,569

funny that, I'm doing a pair of African blackwood knobs probably next week

One of my latest things...

Red tigers-eye stone knob
Polished-then-anodized aluminum panel machined from 1/2" aluminum billet
Bloodwood trim

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #5,262 of 25,569
please point me to a place to buy the stone.

I have all the tools now to start doing stone knobs

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/knobs7.jpg

two are African blackwood, one is ebony, hard to tell the difference.

about 5 more to do, then on to other materials.

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #5,263 of 25,569
  please point me to a place to buy the stone.

I get the raw stone from eBay. You need a piece of 3~5 lb size to get a decent 2-inch dia. knob out of it.

The chatoyance comes from asbestos fibers embedded in quartz.  Iron compounds give the color.

Because of the asbestos, it has to be cut while immersed in water or cutting oil, etc.  Same is true for initial stages of grinding / polishing.

This one is normal yellow tigers eye (It's a knob for a DIY T2 so, yeah, this is a STAX discussion....)

I've got a couple of nice hunks of blue tigers eye I can probably get two decent knobs out of. I've also got some moonstone, some carnelian, some agate and a few other things that I might try.  I think it's kind of hard to beat tigers eye, though. The fire and depth fascinate. I might like to do one of etched meteoric iron / nickel maybe ...

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #5,264 of 25,569
Want to see how those stones pop on a amp. Have any further pics of a finished build with it?

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #5,265 of 25,569
Might be unrelated... but I'm wavering between the choice a 007 and a W3000ANV.

I know they're considered two different beasts, but I was wondering what the opinion is on this thread as it has been brought up a bit on the W3000 thread. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back