The Stax Thread III
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #25,261 of 25,493
Yeah, I thought so. I filed a mod report asking to move it, not sure if I should just repost but I can’t delete the original.
Ask to Firschi in this forum. He build professionally the boards of ccs. He modified my amplifiers. So is the right person

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #25,262 of 25,493
No problem at all, thank you for sharing your finding anyways sorry to hear that the L500 did dissapoint you a bit bass whise.
I can't really compare any other stax as it's my first Stax.

My stax lambda signature (SR407) actually suprised me in the bass department it's not really that far of my hifiman HE6SE (which I still own and is really strong in bass/visceral impact area).
But yeah everyone hears differently I guess maybe it's also depending on the mood :) (can't imagine the L500 is that different from a lambda signature).
For me the Stax was a significant step up resolution/clarity wise.
L500 doesnt disappoint bass-wise and actually is quite surprising how much more I prefer to other non-L series Lambda I tried. The L-series venting allows more midbass quantity at expense of extension, while perception of dynamics has increased nicely but prob at expense of increased distortion. Comparing L500 bass quality to 6XX is not fair because old memory, I dont regularly listen to 6XX. Im just saying L500 bass quality is below HFM HE6se & HE500 (padrolled) and Fostex T20RP (modded) which is nothing to be ashamed of...

To improve perception of bass quality I messed with some padrolling today.

EARS, SRD-7mk2
Stax L500 padroll.jpg
^'ebay lambskin pro ether matt' are unusual hybrids with weird naming, please ignore.

Microsuede is non-breathable material so is more similar to solid pads like leather (or stock) while measurements seem to concur (not shown). Microsuede sounds good, gives more forward sound like stock and "bass" does seem a tad more punchy but that could simply be frequency response related (harmonics of snare drum for example). I do find solid pads increase perception of bass heft possibly due to increased reverb or pressurization. Grado foam pads is like antithesis and reason for open stage and fast decay sound. L500 is vented so pressurization shouldn't be a factor or issue. Microsuede is what I used with padrolled Lambda Spirit but they had a much larger ear cavity (not Brainwavz). Still prefer hybrids for L500.

Curious why stock pads get so much more 6-8Khz and a little more at 80Hz:
- perhaps larger ear cavity and/or less blockage of driver
- stock pads dont seal as well (midbass bump and quicker roll off), thinking leaks at mounting points
- whatever, dont care that much

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #25,263 of 25,493
I read that "all the Stax tube amps are the same" but I notice some have two tubes and some have four tubes.

What is the difference between the 2 and 4 tube Stax amps? Different power output?

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #25,264 of 25,493
Hey guys usually I wouldn't post in a thread about myself selling something but as the electrostatic community is pretty small I thought someone might be interested. I'm selling my KGGG built by Soren Brix in the classifieds, just if anyone here happens to be looking for a good E-stat amp.

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #25,265 of 25,493
Hey guys usually I wouldn't post in a thread about myself selling something but as the electrostatic community is pretty small I thought someone might be interested. I'm selling my KGGG built by Soren Brix in the classifieds, just if anyone here happens to be looking for a good E-stat amp.
You change for another amp?

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #25,266 of 25,493
You change for another amp?
Not at the moment, at some point in the future probably. Need the funds for something else currently.

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #25,267 of 25,493
I read that "all the Stax tube amps are the same" but I notice some have two tubes and some have four tubes.

What is the difference between the 2 and 4 tube Stax amps? Different power output?
From what I understand of the schematics, the 4-tube Stax amp (the 007t) has paralleled tubes in the output stage. The outputs of 2 tubes are combined to provide more output current.

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #25,268 of 25,493
From what I understand of the schematics, the 4-tube Stax amp (the 007t) has paralleled tubes in the output stage. The outputs of 2 tubes are combined to provide more output current.
Yes. The result is a crap amplifier

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #25,269 of 25,493
Yes. The result is a crap amplifier

In a blind test I found on here from years ago 4 people all rated one of the 007 variant amps as dead last in a 4 amp comparison.

Funny enough all 4 rated a transducer box, not an amp proper as sounding the best

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #25,270 of 25,493
Funny enough all 4 tateca transducer box, not an amp proper as sounding the best
Said it here many times but I love the speaker amp + transformer combo.
Heresy to say this but I even liked it more than the T2 with my X9000 (Omega was better on the T2).

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #25,271 of 25,493
Heresy to say this but I even liked it more than the T2 with my X9000 (Omega was better on the T2).

What transformer box do you use?

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #25,273 of 25,493
I lived with an energizer for 30 years (SRD7/SB) with my Lambda NB when I got it back in the 80's and Woo Wee much later. Was happy with both.
Only got the BHSE and LL2SS when I decided to get SR-009, which then led to getting the SR-007 and the Voce (dang slippery slope, poor wallet took a beating :) ).
We all have our own journey to travel... :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #25,274 of 25,493
What transformer box do you use?
If you search "Lundahl" in this thread you should find my various posts about it. I made it myself using Lundahl 1630-PP transformers.

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #25,275 of 25,493
Now a short break for some advertisement: :)

I have an LNS in great shape for sale in the classified.
If someone is interested just drop me a PM.

and now back to the main program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back