The Stax Thread III
Mar 24, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #25,246 of 25,496
Every time you talk about vinyl it makes think I should take it more seriously. It's just the fear of the rabbit hole lol. I definitely can't take my current system with the noise/motor hum that exists and test it out. Would need to step up more seriously to give it a shot.

The flexibility of digital to pivot to any new artist/song at any point has been the main sticking point though. Do you mainly prefer listening to whole albums at a time? I do when cooking, cleaning or working, which is why I play my vinyl system through speakers. But either way, really great insightful info as always. :)
I'd like to say that I sit and listen through whole albums - but reality is I'll usually stick with a "side" at most, before moving on. But with streaming (or PC / music server), I find it much harder to fight the urge to jump around - and when the jumping around gets too crazy, I stop enjoying the session. LP or CD is still the best form factor for me, I think. I stopped listening in the background a while ago - while it's certainly a large productivity boost to the task at hand, I don't like how it tires me of my favorite tracks without getting the full benefit of enjoyment & immersion into it!

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #25,247 of 25,496
@kevin gilmore

I am curious, power wise how does a CCS modded T1 compare to a 717? Would the CCS modded T1 drive a 007 better then the 717?

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #25,250 of 25,496
no difference.

so it goes like this. just about every stax amp solid state or tube uses the same power transformer spec.
the transformer makes +350 unregulated and -350 unregulated. in addition there is a pair of windings used for the filament on the tube amps, and on the 717 since there are no tubes those windings are used to make a 30v voltage.

on the 717 the 30v is added to the -350 to make -380v. in the same way as the 50v is added to the -500 to make -550 on the t2. this is used to make the amplifier closer to the equivalent of a rail to rail amplifier.

but for the tube amps (t1 et all) you don't have the extra voltage to compensate for the Rp of the tube at the specified output current. So you loose voltage swing.

megatron is the same thing. each tube looses 40v. so the solution is to raise the power supply voltages. but you can't do that because the tubes are already running close to their maximum voltage.

so the solution is 211 output tubes driven by 300b. output section power supply is +/-750. This results in a bit more than 2200 vppss. which is the max that the headphones can handle. this is not energy efficient. 250 watts just for the 211 filaments.
its not cost efficient either.

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #25,251 of 25,496
IMG_2539.jpeg
SOCAS Stax 3DP parts:
- pad adapters for common sized oval pads
- pad adapters are vented but I can seal manually with tape if want
- XL headband forks to increase cup rotation for better fit (L500)
IMG_2533.jpeg
^ bonus gummies, nice
EARS, SRD-7mk2:
L500 hybrid oval pads VS stock.jpg
EARS, SRD-7mk2:
L500 socas hybrid oval pads VS  socas vents sealed.jpg
Only pads I tried so far are hybrids (semi-breathable) that look to be from Brainwavz. Sounds very smooth (vents sealed), perhaps too smooth especially if wanting that particular Lambda sound. Might be able to increase bass extension with solid pads. Update later after padrolling to find preferred pads with comparisons against SR202.

Unfortunately one of L500's headband fork screw is stripped so have to figure that out before can install new fork.
Hello I was wondering which pads did you choose in the end? I was looking maybe to do this mod too to my lambda signature if the pads break in future.

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #25,253 of 25,496
megatron is the same thing. each tube looses 40v. so the solution is to raise the power supply voltages. but you can't do that because the tubes are already running close to their maximum voltage.

so the solution is 211 output tubes driven by 300b. output section power supply is +/-750. This results in a bit more than 2200 vppss. which is the max that the headphones can handle. this is not energy efficient. 250 watts just for the 211 filaments.
its not cost efficient either.

Sorry, losing you. The solution for a 2200 VPPSS is to make a megatron with 211 output and 300b driver tubes ?

What is the approximate VPPSS of the stock megatron? T2 is 1900 VPPSS?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #25,254 of 25,496
stock megatron is about 1500 volts with 400v power supplies. megatron is 8 output tubes driven by 2 dual 12ax7 triodes.
you can push the power supplies to 450v.

the new thing for which there is no name yet is 8 x 211 output tubes. driven from 4 x 300b. pre-driver and input section are e80cc and 12ax7
the 811 are biased at 40ma. the 300b are biased at 15ma.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #25,256 of 25,496
stock megatron is about 1500 volts with 400v power supplies. megatron is 8 output tubes driven by 2 dual 12ax7 triodes.

the new thing for which there is no name yet is 8 x 211 output tubes. driven from 4 x 300b. pre-driver and input section are e80cc and 12ax7
Just insane

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #25,257 of 25,496
Hello I was wondering which pads did you choose in the end? I was looking maybe to do this mod too to my lambda signature if the pads break in future.
Same pads: Brainwavz oval hybrids. Just be careful as Ive seen variation in their product’s foam density (both compliance and airflow) which could greatly effect the sound. This particular set has high airflow (breathable).

Ive only tried a couple more pads with SOCAS pad adapter. The pads I tried were all solid material which resulted in a sound half-way between hybrid and stock pads (specifically 1kHz prominence). Ive more pads that might work better, will update when and try to remember to tag you.

Also, remember mine is L500 which are apparently vented unlike non-L series. Signature will change dramatically with breathable (vented) hybrid pads and padrolling could be dangerous (if you look at a few post earlier in hyperlink you’ll see @takato14 share with us some neat vintage Pioneer electrostatics).

I havent listened to Stax much lately… Im waiting for SR-X1 availability or pre-order.
Lately Ive been lazy and listening to Grado PS500e (F-pads) from iPhone dongle (more info at Gradorama thread). And when I do crave super duper bass Ill put on something else. Stax has been relegated to super niche for my tastes.

Still early impressions as I havent listened much lately: I think Stax niche may be it’s superior clear and detailed highs. But for my tastes (preference and music) that just means mainly clearer and detailed cymbals. But at what costs?:

1. meh bass (relative, I think L500 is on par with Senn 6XX in this regard which is totally satisfactory to others tastes)
2. inconvenience: being tethered to desktop rig, somewhat creaky plastic enclosure, and somewhat cumbersome size of enclosure and cable
3. Having to maintain exclusive components just for electrostats

Ive become somehwat bored of hifi hobby so my tolerances are different. Sorry for being a downer.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #25,258 of 25,496
Same pads: Brainwavz oval hybrids. Just be careful as Ive seen variation in their product’s foam density (both compliance and airflow) which could greatly effect the sound. This particular set has high airflow (breathable).

Ive only tried a couple more pads with SOCAS pad adapter. The pads I tried were all solid material which resulted in a sound half-way between hybrid and stock pads (specifically 1kHz prominence). Ive more pads that might work better, will update when and try to remember to tag you.

Also, remember mine is L500 which are apparently vented unlike non-L series. Signature will change dramatically with breathable (vented) hybrid pads and padrolling could be dangerous (if you look at a few post earlier in hyperlink you’ll see @takato14 share with us some neat vintage Pioneer electrostatics).

I havent listened to Stax much lately… Im waiting for SR-X1 availability or pre-order.
Lately Ive been lazy and listening to Grado PS500e (F-pads) from iPhone dongle (more info at Gradorama thread). And when I do crave super duper bass Ill put on something else. Stax has been relegated to super niche for my tastes.

Still early impressions as I havent listened much lately: I think Stax niche may be it’s superior clear and detailed highs. But for my tastes (preference and music) that just means mainly clearer and detailed cymbals. But at what costs?:

1. meh bass (relative, I think L500 is on par with Senn 6XX in this regard which is totally satisfactory to others tastes)
2. inconvenience: being tethered to desktop rig, somewhat creaky plastic enclosure, and somewhat cumbersome size of enclosure and cable
3. Having to maintain exclusive components just for electrostats

Ive become somehwat bored of hifi hobby so my tolerances are different. Sorry for being a downer.
No problem at all, thank you for sharing your finding anyways sorry to hear that the L500 did dissapoint you a bit bass whise.
I can't really compare any other stax as it's my first Stax.

My stax lambda signature (SR407) actually suprised me in the bass department it's not really that far of my hifiman HE6SE (which I still own and is really strong in bass/visceral impact area).
But yeah everyone hears differently I guess maybe it's also depending on the mood :) (can't imagine the L500 is that different from a lambda signature).
For me the Stax was a significant step up resolution/clarity wise.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #25,259 of 25,496

...and this is why I wait. I'm lucky enough to count one of Dr. Gilmore's creations among my own (built by @soren_brix ), and have no intention of parting with it. I will, however, sell one (or both, most likely) of my kidneys for the Good Doctor's latest creation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back