The Stax Thread III
Nov 14, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #24,483 of 25,665
FYI
It seems Stax has discontinued the SRS-002, the battery operated portable Stax. Elusive Disc has it listed as discontinued and it is not on the Stax website.

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #24,484 of 25,665
Continuing the run out of normal bias Stax: the SR-5, circa 1975. Out of the Mjolnir Octave v4. Whilst it is not going to win prizes today for technicalities, it is a very enjoyable listen. Had a couple of hours off it last night. Hope to get some more time with it in the course of today. :)

IMG_0683.jpeg

Nov 14, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #24,485 of 25,665
Just arrived! From eBay description:

Two sets of SR-X Mk 3 electrostatic headphones with an SRD-7 power unit.These are vintage and in "hardly used" condition. I am original owner but did not use them and only selling to downsize in retirement. The SRD-7 unit connects to your speakers as well as the headphones and acts as a "switch" to choose your preference. ”

I think Ill add a Schiit Rekkr to my stack to combo with SRD7.

Attachments

• IMG_1340.jpeg
    IMG_1340.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1344.jpeg
    IMG_1344.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 14, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #24,486 of 25,665
Just arrived! From eBay description:

Two sets of SR-X Mk 3 electrostatic headphones with an SRD-7 power unit.These are vintage and in "hardly used" condition. I am original owner but did not use them and only selling to downsize in retirement. The SRD-7 unit connects to your speakers as well as the headphones and acts as a "switch" to choose your preference. ”

I think Ill add a Schiit Rekkr to my stack to combo with SRD7.
Looks good! Congrats !

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #24,487 of 25,665
Possibly of interest to others who own normal bias Staxes (quite a few posts on nb lately), I just finished modding one of my SRM-Xh to convert it to normal bias.

I populated the cap and resistor in the board, and replaced the pro bias socket with one I cannibalized from one of the many SRD-6 I received with headphones, which fits perfectly as expected. As I had it open I replaced caps, and swapped the pot with one of the cheap ebay stepped attenuators (which has a longer shaft so the SRD-6 knob was also recycled). The PSU is from Aliexpress and probably overkill, but was cheap enough. It sounds pretty good, slightly more in-your-face than the SRM-313 I got a while ago from spritzer, but definitely usable where space is tight or when traveling.

If anyone needs an original Stax pro bias socket it's yours for shipping costs, just send me a PM.

1700070272023.png

(bonus points if you spotted the SR-3 headband on the SR-5, I got them like this and use them for tests)

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #24,488 of 25,665
You could simply get an SRD-X PRO which has NB and PRO bias plugs and be done - and it is portable too! With a say ifi power supply it does rather well…

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #24,489 of 25,665
You could simply get an SRD-X PRO which has NB and PRO bias plugs and be done - and it is portable too! With a say ifi power supply it does rather well…

Yes, if they were readily available... :) I received a couple SRM-Xh practically for free with headphones, and since I much prefer NB to pro bias phones modding one was kind of a low hanging fruit.

PS - the SRM-Xh is equally portable of course, which is exactly why I wanted to mod one

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #24,490 of 25,665
Isn't SRD-X the bad one because it generates bias off of the sound signal? Or am I mistaken?

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #24,491 of 25,665
Isn't SRD-X the bad one because it generates bias off of the sound signal? Or am I mistaken?
Ach, I read SRM-X pro and replied based on my wrong reading. This is it, the precursor of the SRM-Xh which I would not mind eventually owning.

1700075327283.png

What KDS315 mentioned above, the SRD-X pro is the one that plugs into a headphone out. Had one, sold it almost instantly. This one.

1700075428987.png

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #24,492 of 25,665
IMG_1371.jpeg

Took about an hour for imbalance to settle.

- size, weight, and fitment is similar to Grado with flat (“F”) pads.
- tone is similar to Grado RS2x (F-pads) but much higher bass roll off with SR-X
- microdetail appears to approach RS2x level but not quite, definitely ahead of 325e, needs more testing
- SR-X soundstage = Grado (F-pads)

My equipment: iPad > cheap AVR > SRD7
Im going to order a Schiit Rekkr now.

Is it possible to acquire an upgraded normal bias stats amp on a budget? What about an upgrade from 252s on a budget?
This gentleman found SRD7 and 252s to be unworthy.:
https://www.linearz.com/stuff/upgrading-the-stax-srm-252s/
https://www.linearz.com/stuff/transforming-the-stax-srd-7/

I will search for Topping EHA5 reviews for use with Pro bias Stax.

Would love to try a NB Lambda but Id rather buy something newer (like L300) since vintage is a gamble and the NB’s appear to be rare / expensive.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #24,493 of 25,665

I would not say he found the SRD-7 unworthy (after the simple mods, at least). Here's two lines from his conclusion:

"I went into this project with a strong prejudice against using transformer coupled outputs on audio power amps. In this case, they not only work well, they can outperform direct-coupled HV amps in many respects."

"The “transformed” SRD-7 is very enjoyable and comfortable to listen through, and these mods are very worthwhile, easy to do, and will outlast you. And if you change the bias circuit to provide both high- and normal-bias voltages, you will have a versatile, great-sounding adaptor that works with all Stax headphones, and for very reasonable cost."

Sounds like he likes it quite a bit. I followed his mod guide and it works very well.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #24,494 of 25,665
I’m not sure what respects the SRD-7 can outperform a direct-drive estat amp, except perhaps 1kHz max undistorted output level. A direct-drive estat amp usually doesn’t come with the top-end roll-off/peaking or low-end saturation that plaque the transformers. Whether one likes the restricted FR or not, would be a personal preference.

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #24,495 of 25,665
Still on my NB journey through my little NB collection: the Stax SR-3, circa 1968. Interesting how Stax just lasts…

IMG_0699.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back