The Stax Thread III
Nov 10, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #24,466 of 25,645
So I finally did some listening between the SRD-7 and my Lundahl setup. I volume matched them using white noise in REW and my UMIK-1 microphone. The difference wound up being 8dB less on the Lundahls.

Anyway, it was pretty tricky making out the difference but I would say the Lundahl both had more body and air which seems paradoxical at first. Trying to explain this from a technical perspective, I think it's the transformers having better high frequency response (more air) while also having a more powerful drive from being larger (more body).
Imagining sounds as orbs in space, the "orbs" on the Lundahls were thicker but also had more space between them. This resulted in a more ethereal effect, it felt spacious but also had a fuller resonance. Little Wing by Hendrix for example felt very trippy and ethereal on the Lundahls. While it sounded excellent on the SRD-7 it lacked a little bit of that special something that takes it from sounding great to sounding grooooovy baby.

I would say the difference was small but an impactful one. If you weren't AB testing them back to back you probably wouldn't notice a difference but I bet you'd inexplicably feel a greater attraction to the Lundahls even if you couldn't quite pinpoint why. Is the difference worth it? Probably not for most people. For me on a $6k chain + $6k headphone, yeah, probably worth dropping a few hundred dollars extra on the Lundahls. For those with the SRD-7, I think just listening louder makes up for some of the slack. Like the SRD-7 sounds about as good at 90dB as the Lundahls at 85dB.

Unrelated edit: I currently have the shopping bug for a big ass power amp for my speakers and assuming I cave in, you may be reading my impressions of the X9000 + Lundahls on 300W monoblocks soon lol. Love the idea of being able to try out crazy amps via the transformers. I'm looking at a pair of Van Alstine M225. They're class A for the first 20W.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #24,467 of 25,645
So I finally did some listening between the SRD-7 and my Lundahl setup. I volume matched them using white noise in REW and my UMIK-1 microphone. The difference wound up being 8dB less on the Lundahls.

Anyway, it was pretty tricky making out the difference but I would say the Lundahl both had more body and air which seems paradoxical at first. Trying to explain this from a technical perspective, I think it's the transformers having better high frequency response (more air) while also having a more powerful drive from being larger (more body).
Imagining sounds as orbs in space, the "orbs" on the Lundahls were thicker but also had more space between them. This resulted in a more ethereal effect, it felt spacious but also had a fuller resonance. Little Wing by Hendrix for example felt very trippy and ethereal on the Lundahls. While it sounded excellent on the SRD-7 it lacked a little bit of that special something that takes it from sounding great to sounding grooooovy baby.

I would say the difference was small but an impactful one. If you weren't AB testing them back to back you probably wouldn't notice a difference but I bet you'd inexplicably feel a greater attraction to the Lundahls even if you couldn't quite pinpoint why. Is the difference worth it? Probably not for most people. For me on a $6k chain + $6k headphone, yeah, probably worth dropping a few hundred dollars extra on the Lundahls. For those with the SRD-7, I think just listening louder makes up for some of the slack. Like the SRD-7 sounds about as good at 90dB as the Lundahls at 85dB.

Unrelated edit: I currently have the shopping bug for a big ass power amp for my speakers and assuming I cave in, you may be reading my impressions of the X9000 + Lundahls on 300W monoblocks soon lol. Love the idea of being able to try out crazy amps via the transformers. I'm looking at a pair of Van Alstine M225. They're class A for the first 20W.
Yes, more power is always addictive. I run my Stax SRD-7 Pro off of either a Cary Rocket 88 which 40 wpc ultra linear or 20 wpc in triode mode. The other amp is an Aragon 8008 at 200 wpc. I love the sound with Cary tube, and really shines as a whole. The Aragon is simply effortless and details. Which is better both are, it is really a matter of mood for me.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #24,468 of 25,645
Thanks guys. I had always heard of the pop but never saw people discussing the "peel". Glad to hear it's normal.
Can relate! I was so worried and anxious every time I used older STAX earspeakers (202/404). The farts are really annoying, every turn of the head, when I get up and dance to music or whatever...

I recently got a pair of SR-404, and I had enough of the farts... so I peeled one corner of the pads off, slipped a plastic tube (I used an emptied out cable jacket salvaged from RCA cable) in, that was cut to length prior. Then I just squish em together to seal the pads back on, now with the "straw" in between.

No more farts and no audible difference (at least not to me). Not sure what fellow STAX enthusiasts think about the straw mod, but it worked wonders for me. Hopefully it's not some kind of taboo or sacrilege here!

It's reversible, so give it a try; if you don't like it, you can just take the straw away.

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #24,469 of 25,645
If it works for you then it is good

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #24,470 of 25,645
Hello fellow STAX enthusiasts!

I recently got a QUAD 34 and 306 stack. The tone controls (BASS LIFT/STEP and TILT) on the 34 is a very explosive change for me; just the right kind and amount of EQ. The QUAD 34 really helped almost everything I plugged into it reach their full potential!

I can't wait to try my earspeakers (all pro bias) with the 306, but I need to get an SRD-7/mk2 or Pro first.

Anyone here have experience/heard STAXs with TVCs (transformer based passive preamp)? Specifically ones with gain options. Worthwhile? Useless?

Thank you guys

Nov 12, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #24,471 of 25,645
Taking the SR-X Mk3, NB, circa 1975, out for a spin on the Mjolnir Octave v4 on a lazy Monday as we have a day off in lieu of Diwali. Whilst it does not have quite the extension or bass slam of its Pro sibling, it is still a nice listen. :)

IMG_0503.jpeg

Nov 13, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #24,472 of 25,645
I wonder if anyone can tell me if there's any discernable sonic differences between the SRM-007t and the 007tII/A. I might get a chance to get a broken 007tA and plan on doing a complete overhaul and CCS mod it but I was wondering if maybe the old srm-007 would be better, maybe even the srm-t1?

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #24,473 of 25,645
I wonder if anyone can tell me if there's any discernable sonic differences between the SRM-007t and the 007tII/A. I might get a chance to get a broken 007tA and plan on doing a complete overhaul and CCS mod it but I was wondering if maybe the old srm-007 would be better, maybe even the srm-t1?
I haven’t heard the SRM-007t but I have heard the 007tA, T1 and T1S at different times. I don’t remember a discernible difference between the T1S and 007tA. The T1 that I had wasn’t in the greatest of shape and I had other amps so I didn’t listen to it much. Plus the 007 models and the T1S have an XLR input which is what I prefer if given the option.

I’d opt for the cheaper or better condition of a 007t, 007tA or T1S with the nod going to the 007t or T1S if you want the versatility of having a Normal Bias output.

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #24,474 of 25,645
I haven’t heard the SRM-007t but I have heard the 007tA, T1 and T1S at different times. I don’t remember a discernible difference between the T1S and 007tA. The T1 that I had wasn’t in the greatest of shape and I had other amps so I didn’t listen to it much. Plus the 007 models and the T1S have an XLR input which is what I prefer if given the option.

I’d opt for the cheaper or better condition of a 007t, 007tA or T1S with the nod going to the 007t or T1S if you want the versatility of having a Normal Bias output.
Thanks for the input. Interesting there's no difference between SRM-T1S and 007. Then again afaik the 007 is just a T1 with another set of tubes.

There is a SRM-T1S I'm looking at as well and critically that one has an external voltage selector

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #24,475 of 25,645
Well the T1 / T1S and 006T use two tubes whereas the 007T uses four (4) tube i.e. double the audio current…
Look here:

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #24,476 of 25,645
Well the T1 / T1S and 006T use two tubes whereas the 007T uses four (4) tube i.e. double the audio current…
Look here:

Correct, but most Stax headphones aren’t that demanding of current so unless you are trying to power an SR-007 (which you should probably go SRM-717 with anyway), Sigma, or 1980’s Lambda the two tube models will drive them fine.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #24,478 of 25,645
Has anyone tried the iFi Phantom? The only estat I own is the Koss. I have been debating getting into Stax after hearing a few at a meetup.

Debating getting a modded Stax amp vs the Phantom. Not sure how the Phantom might be deficient.

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #24,479 of 25,645
Just ordered the Van Alstine, lets see how the X9000 scales with 300W...

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #24,480 of 25,645
Thanks for the input. Interesting there's no difference between SRM-T1S and 007. Then again afaik the 007 is just a T1 with another set of tubes.

There is a SRM-T1S I'm looking at as well and critically that one has an external voltage selector
I have t1 now with ccs and 007 first release. For now t1 modded sounds better compared to 007 stock but this last has bigger soundstage. In any case i sent 007 for upgrade(meaning ccs) to see differencies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back