The Stax Thread III
Dec 18, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #16,878 of 25,567
Hey guys, I've just received my srs-3100 set with L700 pads/arc assembly though, I was wondering if the L700 pads are really compatible with L300?

I've tried snapping the L700 pads onto the L300 (just like stock L300 pads) however, it wouldn't "snap on" like the L300 pads. Instead, I had to apply massive force to make it "stick" to the earspeakers.
I mean, I literally had to push the earspeaker against the table to apply adequate force. I did what the instructions said (i.e. lining yellow seal with the triangle engraving on the earspeaker) and yet, I feel like the L700 pads didn't snap on easily like L300 pads did.
Thank God that the plastic housings (?) of the earspeakers are durable enough that it didn't bend or snap in any way but still, I was very scared during the process.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchases. Although I've demoed L300 at my local audio shop and knew how they sounded, it was completely a difference experience. There's so much detail, clarity, excellent imaging and very fast. I've never listened to such headphone/earspeaker in my life!
Now I don't think I can go back to dynamic headphones. Maybe I'll try planar magnetic headphones in the future. but for now, I'm extremely satisfied with my srs-3100 set with L700 pads.

Thank you very much for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Seriously doubt you'll find a planar that offer the same speed and clarity, not to mention price point also. They're more of a side grade for bass slam. I havent touched or bother with anything else besides electrostatic since trying them out 3 years ago. I think I've reached my summit with my Stax collection. Hell even the KSE1500 I would call an endgame IEM that beats most dynamic and planar I've experienced. I think companies shouldn't waste r&d on anything but electrostatic.

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #16,879 of 25,567
Where did you buy it from. So quickly, it was only released on the 13th which is like 14th over in the US.

Anyway mine came in today. Was shipped from Japan Ikebe Music on the 14th Friday. Arrived today 18th.
lMVyTSL.jpg

Preordered in Rakuten through FromJapan... :)

Dec 19, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #16,881 of 25,567
I am concerned about something. My STAX 353X makes a loud 'thud' or 'pop' sound in the my L700 when I turn it off. Is this normal behavior or is something not right?

I also have 353X and L700. Um, no Sir, that is not normal. A slight bit of thump, yes. I would not consider it "loud" at all.

I only listen at a volume of 3/10 though, perhaps you're having it cranked much louder when powering it up/down?

Dec 19, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #16,882 of 25,567
I also have 353X and L700. Um, no Sir, that is not normal. A slight bit of thump, yes. I would not consider it "loud" at all.

I only listen at a volume of 3/10 though, perhaps you're having it cranked much louder when powering it up/down?
I don't listen very loud at all. About 2 - 3 with my DAC (RME ADI-2 DAC) At -30dbr. So pretty quiet. Its loud compared to that but I would not call it very loud but its loud compared to the volume I listen. I think its the thump you describe but honestly I cant be for certain. Ill record a video or something

Dec 19, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #16,883 of 25,567

Alright here it is. I'm not sure what to think. Ive owned my L700 and 353X for a long time and its always done this but I never really questioned it. Decided its probably wise to ask though

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #16,884 of 25,567
I always plug-in my Stax headphones after amp warm-up, unplug them before power-down, and ground the plug pins on my hand after unplugging. Just one of the many Stax rituals/superstitions I have that keeps the Stax Gods smiling upon me (probably). Some of these KG/DIY amps use teflon jacks that have a death grip on the plug pins, though.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #16,885 of 25,567
I always plug-in my Stax headphones after amp warm-up, unplug them before power-down, and ground the plug pins on my hand after unplugging. Just one of the many Stax rituals/superstitions I have that keeps the Stax Gods smiling upon me (probably). Some of these KG/DIY amps use teflon jacks that have a death grip on the plug pins, though.
Oof I just tried that and when I touch the pins it made a similar thumping sound but even louder

Dec 19, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #16,886 of 25,567
I believe the thump you hear is just a capacitors discharging as the amplifier powers down, this is why there is used 5MOhm ballast resistors before the output to the phones in all stax amps and KG amps. Anyone more experienced than me can chime in but I am pretty sure it's not hurting the phones.

Dec 19, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #16,887 of 25,567
Oof I just tried that and when I touch the pins it made a similar thumping sound but even louder

Maybe you need to lower the volume to zero and wait for a few sec and than press power off? Btw thats how you suppose to power it off anyway. Never power off with music playing.

And 2nd thing is. My 353X also makes the thump/pop noise. And my other amps dose similar ? But to me its more like a power down thump/pop noise. Im not bother to much with this thou.

I never unplug the headphones. Always leave them attach to the amp while its on or off. I rarely remove them from the amps.

Dec 19, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #16,888 of 25,567
I believe the thump you hear is just a capacitors discharging as the amplifier powers down, this is why there is used 5MOhm ballast resistors before the output to the phones in all stax amps and KG amps. Anyone more experienced than me can chime in but I am pretty sure it's not hurting the phones.

That's is absolutely correct. Wouldn't plug any of my Stax in to anything but Stax or KG drivers. I have witness non Stax & KG without these protective resistors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back