1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Stax Thread III

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by currawong, Aug 20, 2013.
Tags:
  1. jude Administrator

NOTE: If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.​

In terms of the best of the best headphones, you have to look at electrostatics. And one of the finest electrostatic headphones (the STAX SR-009) has been improved, evolved. We take a look at the new STAX SR-009S, including comparisons to its predecessor and measurements.

The measurements in this video were made using:

STAX SR-009S Review: An Electrostatic Headphone Legend Evolved - Head-Fi TV, produced by Brian Murphy, Joe Cwik, and Jude Mansilla

2. protoss
    Great video.

SR-007 FTW!

Its just way better.

alphanumerix1 likes this.
  3. Mach3
    I wouldn't say it way better. Different and better value 110%

alphanumerix1 and HoloSpice like this.
  4. protoss
    To me its one of the greatest electrostatic ear-speaker I heard!

HE90 vs Omega 1993 vs 007 vs 009 vs Jade vs Jr. vs Sigma vs Diy stat , etch...

007 is waaaaay better than the 009.

Maybe you heard more Electrostatic ear-speakers than me?

My ranking:

1. HE90
    2. 007MK1
    3. JADE
    4. OMEGA (tied with 3rd)
    5. 009
    6. JR (Tied w/ 009) maybe better ? A little bias for thr Jr.
    7. Sigma
    ......Etch...

Mach3 likes this.
  5. Rayzilla
    Anyone here try the Mr. Speakers Voce?

6. Hi-Fi-Apricity
    I've heard the VOCE next to the 009S at RMAF2018. They were both powered by the BHSE and its good to note that the VOCE is considerably less sensitive. Anywho I tried my best to volume match between VOCE and 009S switching between the 2 playing Pink Floyd's - Wish You Were Here. VOCE sounded pretty muddled in the low end and lacking impact. The mid-range was pretty alight though but I still think Staxen have it handily beat in this regard as well as treble. It sounded a bit hazy up top and lacking sparkle. I think the low treble or something may have been recessed? Can't tell you. For an electrostatic it was woefully slow. I think any of the Omega Staxen have it beat but was a good first effort by Mrspeakers. I will also note that it is wonderfully comfortable

Whitigir, statfi and Thaudiophile like this.
  7. Trance_Gott
    Voce is easily beaten by 009, 007 an even L700 is better! Soundstage like a tunnel very unrealistic and lacks impact.

statfi likes this.
  8. Mach3
    What's you're thought on the SR-007 Mk1 early 70XXX compared to the later model SR-007 MK1 and port modded SR-007 MK2.5

alphanumerix1 likes this.
  9. Mheat122134
    What kind of power cable would I need for older Stax Pro Bias amps?

10. 336881
    Have you tried the 404LE or ESP950?

11. Zoide
    How about the L700?

12. protoss
    One of my favorite headphones is the 007mk1 (70xxx series) never try properly the Mk2 but with all the mods trying to be a Mk1, i am assuming it should be superior.

As for others; @Zoide @antimatter

The ESP-950 with stax adapter is amazing. Great cans.

The L700 is baby 009. Btw, the 009 is one of the greatest electrostatic to buy today. Its just that its not #1 . How can it be? No way it beats the HE90 or the more aggessive Omega or the arthritis demon JADE.

The rest of the lambdas are greats. The lambdas pro from the 90s is great, any limited edition series is superior to the average lambdas. Example, L300ltd , 404ltd , etch...

I also forgot the legendary HE60 with stax adapter. This can easily outclass anyone or everyone

Revision list:

1. HE90
    2. 007MK1
    3. JADE
    4. OMEGA (up or down)
    5. 009
    6. HE60 ( 1st or 2nd place or anywhere for this beast)
    7. Shangri-la JR.
    8. ESP-950
    9. Any lambdas ltd series or put L700 here
    10. ......

One of my favorite photography headphone shots I ever took!! :innocent:

20171227_161258.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Lord Rexter and 336881 like this.
  13. Whitigir
    It isn’t fair to rank these ES the way dynamic headphones would be...ES are more amplifier depending than anything out there....just my 2 cents.

The way I see it ? If you can’t enjoy Stax flagship, it is your problem and not Stax problem, period.

I love both 009 and 009S, both has different signature and are equally the same high-end level of soundstage, details and musicality

alphanumerix1 and phaeton70 like this.
  14. protoss
    People never rank Electrostatic! Everyone is afraid of Stax-Mafia to rank them.

I'm breaking that curse !

It's not about enjoying them. My top 10 ranking has 4 to 5 Stax brand on a top 10. It clearly shows that Stax is superior in electrostatic technology!

15. Whitigir
    Nah, to me Stax Mafia is the best and top ranking

protoss likes this.