1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Stax Thread III

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by currawong, Aug 20, 2013.
Tags:
  1. florence
    Hello all,

I have SR-507/SRM-310 combination and I wonder what Stax amp I should look after if I upgrade this combo? I love how SR-507 sounds with this amp but you know, we all want to upgrade our units somehow. The only Stax combo I have auditoned to date beside mine was SR-009/SRM-006ts. That was really unmusical, very thin sound unexpectedly. Since I still feel that 507/310 has harmonious sounding combo, 507/006ts may suit better. I'm satisfied with SR-507, I'd like to upgrade the amp only. You tell me the most suitable amp with it maybe.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. Whitigir
    Sr-009 can easily sound thin, it is not easy to drive Sr-009 to a correct satisfying level really. But it is possible :D

florence likes this.
  3. Rhamnetin
    Yeah I just wanted to say... hook up an SR-009 to a top tier amp and it will make just about all other headphones sound thin in comparison.

I actually can't even imagine a thin sounding SR-009 since I have only ever used it out of a Carbon, BHSE, and WES. The WES made it muddy compared to the other two but not thin.

4. Whitigir
    IMO, Carbon can make SR-009 sound too fast and thin depend on current setting (it is just me and my experiences). I heavily prefer tubes stage for sr009. But that is personal preferences as I have seen people who can’t stand tubes tone, and loving carbon+009 :D

Also, I am reading CanJam impression now. It seems many people are reporting sr009S to be having vocal more upfront than Sr-009, which I don’t observe the same way with KG T2. This makes me thinking that SR-009S is harder to drive than Sr-009 despite it fancy electrodes and so on ? I know I did say that the bass is harder to get to a satisfying level in comparison to Sr-009 for sure lol

5. weasel1979
    Guys, not every answer is t2 or bhse, he asked for an amp recommendation for his 507.

6. Jones Bob
    Grounded Grid? :L3000:

Contrails and Rhamnetin like this.
  7. Whitigir
    Lol, that was awesome !

Any Kg amps are ok

Jones Bob likes this.
  8. SeaWo|f
    A 006ts or T1 would work very well. The 507 is not a hungry headphone, so that would be a cost effective route. If you are looking for more performance then you can mod either of those 2 amps in the future for very little cost.

A used KGST or KGDT could also be a good option but they will be a bit more expense.

If a used KGSSHV popped up at a good price point that is probably the best option if you want to stay SS. A new 727 would only cost a little less than a used KGSSHV but requires a mod to sound its best and is still inferior.

florence likes this.
  9. protoss
    SRM-006t is around $1000 ? So im assuming your budget is $1000.00

I will wait for this; https://stax-international.com/products/srm-d50/ - Stax SRM-D50 (This has a Dac inside it!)
    Or I will get; https://staxaudio.com/driver/srm-353xbk - SRM-353XBK
    And to taste 10% of the kgss, get this; Octave V2 - https://mjolnir-audio.com/products/

One of those 3 is enough for your 507 and is good for a long time. Also all 3 are equal in power levels. Give or take.

10. CT007
  11. padam
  12. Rhamnetin
    Sorry, I created a separate discussion.

On the subject of SR-009 thinness/thickness, I was actually alluding to a quality not typically associated with "thick" sound. Thick sound as far as I can tell typically means heavy mid bass presence that rumbles a lot and just gives a heavier bottom, e.g. Audeze. The SR-009 is definitely not like an Audeze.

But where I hear the SR-009 being less thin than every headphone I have ever heard by far is with most instruments; never before have I heard such full bodied, weighty and impactful, and lifelike strings, horns, wind instruments, everything that's not a drum basically (since excellent planars can make those lifelike too).

All these instruments sound thin and toyish on every non electrostat, and the SR-009 takes this fullness to a level above the SR-007 to my ears. But this fullness I describe is the result of the SR-009's ultra resolving treble as far as I can tell, so totally unlike Audeze thickness.

I'm practically obsessed with my SR-009 and Carbon system right now (doesn't have to be a Carbon either, would have preferred a Grounded Grid or of course a T2). Never had this feeling for a music system before lol.

13. JimL11
    I agree with @SeaWolf, a T1 or 006 would work well with any Lambda series headphone. Modify it by replacing the output plate resistors with constant current loads and it will do a creditable job with the 007 or 009 as well - at the same quality level as a modded 727, if not better, depending on taste.

GarageBoy likes this.
  14. JimL11
    Glad my former 009 has found a good home.

Rhamnetin likes this.
  15. elira
    What is a fair price for a second hand SRM-007tII?